/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Paying for fortune telling and "blackmagic"

elena.n
08-11-2013, 12:00 AM
A Muslim lady in my family(very close relationship with my mother,let's call her Mrs.X) pays a lot of money (thousands of dollars) to this woman who claims to be chosen by God, for multiple reason which I will now explain.
First, Mrs.X believed that she was bewitched by several members of our family,that she had encountered demons and jinns before,so she payed her to uncast the spells or such.After that, the woman told Mrs.X that she has a special book that changes everyday which she inherited because she is chosen by God,and with that book she can see in the future and even change it with special duas;therefore Mrs.X paid even more money whenever anything happened for e.g whenever Mrs.X got sick,the woman would be the first person she would call,paying more money so she could be cured(for sth as simple as a canker soar in her mouth). Now Mrs.X calls her every single day telling the woman her problems,and asking for her fortune to be told, and again, paying a fee. SO now Mrs.X is trying to get my mother involved with this lady as well, and my mother is actually considering it.
Now my question is, Isn't this considered Kufr? I remember reading that having your fortune read is haram ( I am not very certain of this though). If the woman is really chosen by God,why does she charge so much (Mrs.X has paid over 20,000 dollars), why even charge at all? How can I convince my mother that this is wrong? I know she will never listen to me,but I would like to at least try.
Thank you brothers and sisters and Eid Mubarak.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
08-11-2013, 05:32 PM
:salamext:

You are right that going to a fortune teller is Haram when done out of curiosity, but if a person believes the fortune teller, this is kufr. The following links give more detailed explanations and evidences for this. You must do your utmost to convince your mother it is wrong, and show her the evidences in the Qur'an and Sunnah.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...icles&id=88495
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2673854/Th...Bilal-Phillips - pages 92 onwards (fortune telling), 115 onwards (magic)

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/8291
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/114820
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/32863
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/40924
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/7961

Ahmad H
08-12-2013, 03:33 AM
The fact that she is charging already shows her being false. No Prophet of God asked for their people for rewards. That is all you need for proof to see that she is a liar. She would have been a sincere counselor to people if she was really from God. And you would have to see some very convincing proof as well. Her asking for money is already enough to convince me that she is false though. You really don't need to inquire any further into the matter. Leave her be to her own sin or turn her away from it. But don't pay her for crying out loud.

elena.n
08-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Thank you brothers, I showed my mother the links above and also several other books and internet links that explain why what the woman is doing is haram,but she did not listen to me. My mother went to the woman and apparently had ruqyah done on her( I really don't know what ruqyah is to begin with,will anyone mind to explain?),for a very high cost.I asked God to forgive my mother and I pray for her, but now she is trying to force me to go as well,saying I have been bewitched as well(I have talked and walked in sleep for years and now I become sleep paralyzed,she believes this is all because of sihr) and need ruqyah done.I am trying very hard to resist,but as I have mentioned before,my mother physically abuses me and hits me whenever I say no,she has also said by not going I am disobeying a parent,which is a sin. Can you dear brothers and sisters advise me on what I can do?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Signor
08-15-2013, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by elena.n
really don't know what ruqyah is to begin with,will anyone mind to explain?

What is Ruqyah?

Ruqyah is a vast subject and covers many topics such as Sihr (Magic) Masaha (Possession) and Ayn (Evil Eye). We have presented a basic outline in regards to what is Ruqyah and how it is related to us via the Sunnah. Ruqyah is the treatment relayed to us by the Prophet Muhammad (saw) for afflictions such as Sihr (Magic) Masaha (Possession) and Ayn (Evil Eye).

To translate Ruqyah as 'incantation' may bring to mind connotations of magic and sorcery which are forbidden in Islam. To use the term "By spiritual means" may not convey the meaning in full. [See Ismail L.Faruq's Translation].
The meaning most relevant to us when asking the question what is Ruqyah, is that Ruqyah is when a person recites part of the Qur'an such as Al-Fatihah or makes supplication using words transmitted from the authentic Hadith of the Prophet (saw) Ref. Fath-ul-Majid]

In brief, Ruqyah is a Quranic therapy for issues pertaining to the heart, mind and soul.
It was narrated that A'ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) said: "When the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) was ill, he would recite al-Mu`awidhatayn (surahs of Al-Falaq and An-Nas) over himself and spit dryly. When his pain grew intense, I recited over him and wiped him with his own hand, seeking its blessing. " (Al-Bukharee).

With regard to the du`aa' that is prescribed for the Muslim to say if he wants to recite Ruqyah for himself or for someone else, there are many such du`aa's, most common are Al-Fatihah and Al-Mu`awidhatayn.

A group of the Companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) set out on a journey and traveled until they came near one of the Arab tribes. They asked them for hospitality but they were refused. Then the leader of that tribe was stung, and his people tried everything to cure him but nothing helped. Then some of them said, "Why don't you go to those people who are staying (nearby)? Maybe one of them has something." So they went to them and said, "O people, our leader has been stung and we have tried everything and nothing helped him. Do you have anything?" One of them said, "Yes, by Allah. I will perform Ruqyah for him, but by Allah we asked you for hospitality and you did not give us anything, so we will not perform Ruqyah for you unless you give us something in return." So they agreed on a flock of sheep, then he started to blow on him and recite Al-hamdu Lillahi Rabb il-`Alameen. Then he recovered quickly from his complaint and started walking, and he was completely cured. After that they took the flock of sheep, and some of the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "Let us share it out." The one who had performed Ruqyah said, "Do not do anything until we come to the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) and tell him what happened, and we will wait and see what he tells us to do." So they came to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) and told him what had happened. He said, "How did you know that it is a Ruqyah?" Then he said, "You did the right thing. Share them out, and give me a share." And the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) smiled. (Al-Bukharee and Muslim).

The du`aa's that have been narrated in the Sunnah include the following: It was narrated that Ibn `Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) said: "The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to seek refuge for al-Hasan and al-Husayn, and he would say, 'Your father [ meaning Ibrahim peace be upon him] used to seek refuge with Allah for Isma`il and Ishaq with these words: A`udhu bi kalimat Allah al-tammah min kulli shaytanin wa hammah wa min kulli `aynin lammah (I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allah, from every devil and every poisonous reptile, and from every evil eye).'" (Al-Bukharee).

There is no problem in getting a Ruqyah treatment but this

format_quote Originally Posted by elena.n
for a very high cost
is a genuine concern.Money is not the problem here but charging high cost by a Raaqi is my concern.perhaps its because of the place you live,Allahu Alim

Assalamu Alaikum

The-Deist
01-13-2015, 10:27 PM

• Muslim has narrated, on the authority of one of the wives of the Prophet (Hafsah - may Allah be pleased with her), that Allah's Prophet said:

"Whoever went to a fortune-teller and asked him about some matter (i.e. of the unseen) and believed him, will have his prayer rejected for forty days."

BlueOwl358
01-14-2015, 03:13 PM
Firstly, it is impossible to change the future so that teller is crazy and not to be trusted. God's knowledge of the future is absolute and the events and details of the future are absolute. Predestination is the sixth article of faith.

Ibn ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) heard that some people were denying al-qadar. He said: “If I meet these people I will tell them that I have nothing to do with them and they have nothing to do with me. By the One by Whom ‘Abd-Allah ibn ‘Umar swore, if one of them had gold equivalent to Mount Uhud and he spent it, Allah would not accept it from him unless he believed in Al-Qadr.” (Sahih Muslim)

Second, relying on a person more so than God is sin. God removes all obstacles and reveals his message, and coming to this woman to her because of her knowledge instead of God's knowledge, regardless if she has some duas is sin. Even if Mrs. X is sick or anything, the first being she should ask for help is God. The whole point for praying is for intending to seek forgiveness from God and asking for mercy, but with this over reliance on another person the connection between God and the person is removed and now meaningless.

Although Ruqyah is accepted Mrs. X seems to be relying on the human woman more so than any dua or verse. And paying so much for this is also bad. Duas to help with things can be easily found online and paying so excessively for something that the Prophet (pbuh) gave for free is also a sin.

And believe in what I have sent down confirming that which is [already] with you, and be not the first to disbelieve in it. And do not exchange My signs for a small price, and fear [only] Me. (Quran 2:41)

Indeed, those who disbelieve and die while they are disbelievers - never would the [whole] capacity of the earth in gold be accepted from one of them if he would [seek to] ransom himself with it. For those there will be a painful punishment, and they will have no helpers. (Quran 3:91)

فصيح الياسين
01-14-2015, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by StrivingforDeen
  • Muslim has narrated, on the authority of one of the wives of the Prophet (Hafsah - may Allah be pleased with her), that Allah's Prophet said:

"Whoever went to a fortune-teller and asked him about some matter (i.e. of the unseen) and believed him, will have his prayer rejected for forty days."

In arabic its
قال النبي من اتى عرافا فسئله عن شئ. لم يقبل له صلاة اربعين ليلة

Scimitar
01-14-2015, 04:04 PM
The woman your mother goes to is a black magician... guaranteed.

its amazing that no one in your family noticed how as soon as one problem was solved, another started - and more money was being spent on this "problem / reaction / solution" regurgitation which has become a bit of a groundhog day in your home.

I've been affected by black magicians and jinn in the past and can tell you that they are evil beings who will mess your mothers life up, both in this world and the next.

If you don't know about rukya, learn it - and perform it for your mother at home. Don't let her go to magicians.

Scimi

h-n
01-14-2015, 07:28 PM
I am sorry to hear of your problems, it is not a pleasant experience to having to stand up for yourself when people are just not listening, and knowing full well that its wrong, but just don't worry to much on other people's reactions.

Here is one of the threads that I wrote, that is only a basic issue on devils (to help people be more aware of what they are dealing with, so as not to get fooled);-

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...62-devils.html

The woman is a sham, no one would wish to benefit financially if the are helping people, if they are chosen by God. IF she can clearly see the future, then she should be able to tell you when the Prophet Jesus peace be upon him will be arriving back.

They are known to send devils to cause problems, knowing that people would complain and pay them more money. This is poisonous situation to be in. I hope that this can be remedied.

Remember Allah and the Day of Judgement much.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!