/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A Reminder of Our Worst Enemy

Nur Student
08-12-2013, 03:03 AM
:arabic6:
In the Name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate.

This concerns one point of the verse,

"The (human) soul is certainly prone to evil,"

and the Hadith the meaning of which is,

"Your worst enemy is your
soul."

One who loves himself if his evil-commanding soul has not been purified, will love no one else. Even if he apparently loves someone, he does not do so sincerely, but only for the pleasure of it and the benefits he receives. He always tries to make himself liked. Also, he does not ascribe faults to himself; he defends and exonerates himself like a lawyer. He praises himself, exaggerating and even lying, showing himself to be free of fault, as though sanctifying himself, and according to his degree receives a slap from the verse,
Who takes as his god his desires.

His self-praise and efforts to make himself liked have the reverse effect, for he attracts contempt and is treated coldly. He also loses sincerity in his actions which look to the Hereafter and they become mixed with hypocrisy. He is defeated by the emotions and desires of the soul, which are blind to the consequences, do not think of results, and are obsessed with present pleasure; he serves a year's prison sentence because of one hour's pleasure demanded by his emotions which have lost their way. He pays ten years' penalty on account of one minute's pride or revenge. Quite simply like a silly child who sells the portion of the Qur'an he is learning to buy a single sweet, in order to flatter his emotions, gratify his senses, and satisfy his appetites, he makes his good deeds the means to egotistical pleasures like insignificant fragments of glass, and he loses out in profitable works.
  • O God! Preserve us from the evil of the soul and of Satan, and from the evil of jinn and men.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ahmad H
08-12-2013, 03:14 AM
This is why Hazrat Imam Ibn Qayyim (ra) has said that fighting against your own Nafs is the Jihad Al-Akbar.

Abz2000
08-16-2013, 08:08 PM
A reminder from our worst enemy:

The writer seems very very eager to judge the intentions of others without wondering how they themselves would have to react in certain situations, a man often has to exonerate himself in situations where an enemy misconstruction is evident, or when an accuser will cause harm.

1 After the Prophet defeated the Banu’l-Mustaliq, some of the Ansar and Muhajirun quarreled and ‘Abdullah ibn Ubayayy al-Khazraji said “The Muhajirum have constricted us and crowded us in our own land. By Allah, when we return to Madina, the stronger will expel the baser from it!”
The Prophet heard those words. ‘Umar ibn al-Khattab was with him and said: “Command ‘Ubbad ibn Bishr to kill him!” The Prophet said “Umar, how will it be when people say that Muhammad kills his companion? No, announce that we are leaving.”
By mentioning I`tikaf after fasting, Allah draws attention to practicing I`tikaf during the month of the fast, especially the last part of the month. The Sunnah of Allah's Messenger is that he used to perform I`tikaf during the last ten nights of the month of Ramadan until he died. Afterwards, the Prophet's wives used to perform I`tikaf as the Two Sahihs recorded from `A'ishah the Mother of the believers. It is reported in the Two Sahihs that Safiyyah, the daughter of Huyai, went to Allah's Messenger to visit him in the mosque while he was in I`tikaf. She had a talk with him for a while, then she got up in order to return home. The Prophet accompanied her back home, as it was night. Her house was at Usamah bin Zayd's house on the edge of Al-Madinah. While they were walking, two Ansari men met them and passed by them in a hurry, for they were shy to bother the Prophet while he was walking with his wife. He told them:

«عَلى رِسْلِكُمَا، إِنَّهَا صَفِيَّةُ بِنْتُ حُيَي»

(Do not run away! She is (my wife) Safiyyah bint Huyai.) Both of them said, "All praise is due to Allah, (How dare we think of any evil) O Allah's Messenger!'' The Prophet said (to them):

«إِنَّ الشَّيْطَانَ يَجْرِي مِنِ ابْنِ آدَمَ مَجْرَى الدَّمِ، وَإِنِّي خَشِيتُ أَنْ يَقْذِفَ فِي قُلُوبِكُمَا شَيْئًا، أَوْ قَالَ: شَرًّا»

(Shaytan reaches everywhere in the human body, that the blood reaches. I was afraid lest Shaytan might suggest an evil thought in your minds.)
The writer would do good to question his own intentions, whether he intends to smear others to who's defence he himself did not come or whether he just feels like writing.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!