/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 'Special' Book on Depression

~Zaria~
08-12-2013, 05:31 PM
:salam: brothers and sisters,

I hope that everyone is well and rejuvenated after Ramadaan in shaa Allah.

I am looking for a specific book on depression - and, in shaa Allah, I hope that somebody here will be able to assist me.

Alhamdulillah, the teachings of Islam provides such hope and relief to the one who is facing any type of trial in life......and it can be quite heart-breaking to see a non-muslim/ atheist struggling on through life without being able to find this type of solace.

As I am often in contact with people who have attempted to commit suicide (~1/ 2 per week), I have been looking for the following type of book on How to deal with Depression/ Trials - (for the Non-muslim) (and in shaa Allah, it can also be a source of dawah).

In shaa Allah, the book should be in the following format:

1. It should provide advice on how to view trials in life and how to over-come depression - from an 'Islamic eye', BUT without directly referring to Islam (at least not initially).
^ The reason for this is that, I do not want the person to think that I am trying to promote my religion (at their time of grief), and neither do I want to get into any type of trouble for directly doing so :/

2. Direct mention of islam/ verses from the quraan/ ahadith should come in much later......once the person has 'eased' into the book (I hope this makes some sense....)

3. Something along the lines of the books: 'Dont be Sad' or, 'Tafweez - Resigning Oneself to the Will of Allah: Cure for Depression' - in terms of its message (these books are directed towards muslims specifically, and so cannot be really used for non-muslims, even though they are great reads).

Im not sure if such a book actually exists, but I am hoping for the best in shaa Allah.

Will really appreciate any feedback.

:jz: in advance! :)

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hulk
08-12-2013, 06:41 PM
That sounds so specific sis I'm not sure if there's a book like that but I did get for my sister "Reclaim Your Heart" by Yasmin Mogahed that perhaps you can check out.

~Zaria~
08-13-2013, 05:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
That sounds so specific sis I'm not sure if there's a book like that but I did get for my sister "Reclaim Your Heart" by Yasmin Mogahed that perhaps you can check out.
:jz: brother,

That looks like a very thoughtful gift for your sister, mashaAllah.

I have browsed through some of its quotes on-line, and it seems to be aimed towards muslims specifically as well.

I think what I am actually looking for is a short booklet that will give a person hope and direction in life, without the person feeling like this is just an attempt to promote my way of life upon them....

A few weeks ago, I met a woman who had survived an over-dose attempt.
Her story was so sad - that, in fact, she alone is the reason for me looking into such a book
(even though I have encountered others in the past, her many, many medical problems that included surviving 2 cancers, epilepsy, diabetes (to name just a few) - and her complete hopelessness at life and loss of purpose really moved me).

If I try to place myself in her shoes right now, I am sure I will feel exactly the same......where it not for Islam and its teachings.

But these people dont even have this - a comprehensible reason behind the pain and suffering in this life, and real hope of attaining something so much better in the next life : (

I was also listening to a talk-show yesterday, about suicide (by some strange co-incidence, alhamdulillah).
The counselor mentioned something that I had not considered before.....
We sometimes look at those who attempt to take their lives, as acting in a 'cowardly' manner (in the sense that they are looking for an 'easy' way out of their problems in life).
However, as she explained, it actually takes great COURAGE to make the decision, and then act upon ending ones life.
(Can you imagine how much courage it must take to jump off a building, or to hang oneself, or to over-dose, etc?)

And so, the person who has reached this point in his/ her life, has experienced such hopelessness/ emptiness/ sadness in their lives - that they can see no other alternative (other than ending their life).

Yet, Islam has all the answers!
The problem is - how does one get it across to them in the correct manner (and, if Allah wills, to save them from the terrible fate that they may find themselves in, in the aakhirah : ( )......

:wa:

Mustafa2012
08-13-2013, 05:13 PM
:salam:

I'm not aware of the existence of such a book especially one that doesn't have any reference to Islaam.

However (and I say this with good intentions) have you considered writing one?

I've heard some experts say," If the book you want isn't written, then you must write it."

You seem to know quite a lot about the topic. It can be short as you said. If people are guided to Islaam through it then it will be worth the effort :ia:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~Zaria~
08-13-2013, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mustafa2012

I'm not aware of the existence of such a book especially one that doesn't have any reference to Islaam.

However (and I say this with good intentions) have you considered writing one?

I've heard some experts say," If the book you want isn't written, then you must write it."

You seem to know quite a lot about the topic. It can be short as you said. If people are guided to Islaam through it then it will be worth the effort :ia:

:wasalam: brother,

Ive never written a book/ booklet before.....the most that any of 'writings' have amounted to are my posts on these forums :/
And I have soo many things still outstanding on my 'to do' list (being the procastinator that I am).....that I was really looking for something that is already packaged in shaa Allah.

Will keep this in consideration if all options run out in shaa Allah.

:jz:

Mustafa2012
08-13-2013, 06:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
:wasalam: brother,

Ive never written a book/ booklet before.....the most that any of 'writings' have amounted to are my posts on these forums :/
And I have soo many things still outstanding on my 'to do' list (being the procastinator that I am).....that I was really looking for something that is already packaged in shaa Allah.

Will keep this in consideration if all options run out in shaa Allah.

Up until a few years ago I thought the same as you, until I realized what a book actually is.

A book is nothing more than a collection of ideas in short pages. It's your own perspective on any given topic. It's your space, your chance to put forward your own views on something. That's really what it is.

Many people have the potential to be authors but don't realize that they have it. Sometimes the word "author" can sound quite menacing but an author is just someone who has a set of ideas to offer to others. It's not always necessary to have written a full length novel to be considered an author. Some authors write short stories and do quite well.

Think about it for a moment...

If someone has completed a college degree, they most likely wrote a 10,000 word dissertation right?

If you're in the medical field, you must have to write up reports, right?

If you put all the forum posts together you can almost have a book, right?

Try writing one 400 word article/page a day and in no time you'll have a short book...

:ia:

Muhaba
08-13-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm sure such a book exists. Going on amazon.com and typing 'depression + Islam,' the search results came up with lots of books. Maybe one of those might be what you're looking for.

Mustafa2012
08-15-2013, 03:38 PM

P.S. If anyone's interested in getting ebook covers made please contact me via PM

~Zaria~
08-15-2013, 06:13 PM
^ :lol: Not sure how you did that.....that's awesome!

In shaa Allah, may Allah make all our intentions materialize for His pleasure.
Ameen

Mustafa2012
08-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Well,, it just so happens that designing things is one of my hobbies.

Here's another one...

This is just a small example of the saying, "Where there's a will, there's a way :ia:"

Hasani
08-27-2013, 12:16 AM
The best advise I can offer about a special book dealing with depression is the Quran, even for non Muslims.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!