/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What does Islam say about taking the hard path?

adeebk
08-15-2013, 03:38 AM
Assalamu Alaikum,

I am currently in a situation where I have the option to take the easy path or the hard path, but I want to take the harder path. In this case, it is choosing between an easier school. My father repeatedly told me that I should take the easy path and that Allah (SWT) does not want us to take the hard path if there is an easier path. He told me to look online for any evidence in his favor or in mine. I was wondering if someone could please answer this question ASAP, shukran.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
عابر سبيل
08-15-2013, 05:09 AM
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

I know that there is a hadith where the Prophet (saw) said that whenever he had a hard or easy matter before him, he (saw) took the easier of the two.

But I don't know if that applies to a situation like this. Maybe when the matter is such that you would pointlessly be making things harder for yourself, then you should take the easier path. But if the harder path will yield better results and does not involve any haraam, and you are confident you can do it, then Allah knows best that could be the way to go.

But here's the thing, this is clearly a big decision, so make sure first and foremost that you pray Istikhaarah and ask Allah (swt) to guide you to what is best. Because Allah knows, and we do not know.

greenhill
08-15-2013, 07:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by عابر سبيل
But here's the thing, this is clearly a big decision, so make sure first and foremost that you pray Istikhaarah and ask Allah (swt) to guide you to what is best. Because Allah knows, and we do not know.
Agree.

Taking the harder path will build you up (if all goes well) and may end up making you lose all confidence if you don't do well. Going through hardship can build character or make a person bitter in the long run.

Perhaps the harder path has better credibility? At the end of the day, it is the result most people are looking at, not the path. Is a Third Class degree from Cambridge/Oxford better than a First Class degree elsewhere?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!