/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ramadhan Lenth and Diet

Pygoscelis
08-18-2013, 02:47 PM
I left this forum about 2 months ago because the sections of the board I usually post in were closed for Ramadhan. I got caught up in other boards and kind of forgot about this one for a while, but returned today to take a look and noticed they are still closed. Which left me wondering about Ramadhan...

How long is it? It was my understanding it was a couple of weeks to a month. But it goes multiple months? And you fast during all this time? How do you survive? Are you allowed to eat certain foods and if so, how is this different than the already restricted diet muslims adhere to? You are supposed to eat halal all year long, no?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AabiruSabeel
08-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Ramadhan is for one month. It is the ninth month of the Arabic calendar.

We fast during Ramadhan from the dawn to the dusk. We are forbidden to eat, drink or consume anything during the day.
At sunset, we break our fast and are free to eat and drink as we please until dawn. (Halal only, of course)

Allah :swt: says:
[2:187] ... And eat and drink until the white thread of dawn becomes distinct to you from the black thread [of night]. Then complete the fast until the sunset. ...

After the month of Ramadhan, we are encouraged to fast for 6 days during Shawwal, the 10th month of Islamic calendar. These 6 days are Sunnah, ie it was a customary practice of the Prophet :saws: and he encouraged us to fast them. But they are not obligatory.

Allah :swt: multiplies the reward of each good deed by 10 times. Fasting the month of Ramadhan gives us the reward for fasting 10 months, and 6 days gives the reward of 60 days, ie 2 months, thereby making the rewards of all these fasts as fasting the whole year.

Abu Ayyub (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:
The Messenger of Allah :saws: said, "He who observes As-Saum (the fasts) in the month of Ramadan, and also observes As-Saum for six days in the month of Shawwal, it is as if he has observed As-Saum for the whole year." [Muslim].

We do not have any special diet during Ramadhan. We simply have to change the times of eating according to the commands of Allah.

As for the closed section for Ramadhan, we have opened some of the sections and the remaining sections are under discussion and we might close one of them for good.

glo
08-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Hi Pygo

It's nice to see you around again ... well, at least I think so! :nervous:

I hope you don't mind me saying, but I am surprised that somebody who has spent so long in an Islamic forum like this knows so little about Ramadan. Especially a guy who likes to get his facts right like you.

What have you been doing here the last 6 years??! :p

glo
08-18-2013, 04:28 PM
BTW, I think the sections are still closed now because we are trying to hang onto the peaceful spirit of Ramadan! :)

Although some more contentious topics are starting to creep into the general Section.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pygoscelis
08-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Yes I think you are right. I did know, or thought I knew, it was one month long. But the forum is still closed so I doubted my knowledge and sought to clarify. I did not know about the fasting yet eating at night.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!