/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is this showing off?

Fainoz
08-21-2013, 12:32 PM
If I read the Quran in front of others on purpose to get over my fear of reading Quran in front of others? for a long time I was afraid to read Quran in front of my family because I was worried about what comments they might make like "MashaAllah, look who's reading the Quran today" or "Since when do you read Quran?" or "When did you become religious, you've been hanging out with so and so haven't you?"

So sometimes I try to read the Quran in front of them, so that they will get used to it and pretty soon stop making comments and it will just become a normal thing. I will get over my fear of what people think.

Is this Riya'? rest assured, I am not doing it for praise from them, I only to get over my fear.

btw, which is worse by, doing good deeds to please people, or avoiding good deeds out of fear of people?

I know there I know muftis here, but I know that there are still a lot of knowledgeable people out there with useful advice, even so I would appreciate verification with hadith. jazakAllah khrn

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Fainoz
08-21-2013, 12:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nevermind
I know there I know muftis here,
correction: * I know there are no Muftis out here

sister herb
08-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Salam alaykum

What if you, when read the Quran, try to start discuss with others about text of if. It may be beneficial to those others too - even put them to think what you read.

"doing good deeds to please people, or avoiding good deeds out of fear of people"

You should try to make good deeds to please Allah only, not think what people think about them.

Just my opinions.

Nur Student
08-21-2013, 09:33 PM
If you are sure that you don't do it for the sake of pleasing them and getting their nice complimentary, or any kind of worldly benefits; then 'never-mind'. Here is what a great scholar says about sincerity:

"Be aware that the attention of men cannot be demanded, but only given. If it is given, one should not delight in it. If one delights in it, sincerity is lost and hypocrisy takes its place. The attention of men, if accompanied by the desire for honour and fame, is not a reward and a prize, but a reproach and chastisement for lack of sincerity. Such attention of men, such honour and fame, harm sincerity, the source of vitality for all good deeds, and even though they yield a slight pleasure as far as the gate of the tomb, on the other side of that gate they take on the form of torment. One should not therefore desire the attention of men, but flee and shy away from it."

"You should seek Divine pleasure in your actions. If Almighty God is pleased, it is of no importance even should the whole world be displeased. If He accepts an action and everyone else rejects it, it has no effect. Once His pleasure has been gained and He has accepted an action, even if you do not ask it of Him, should He wish it and His wisdom requires it, He will make others accept it. He will make them consent to it too. For this reason, the sole aim in this service should be the direct seeking of Divine pleasure."

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abz2000
08-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Brother Anwar mentioned this sort of dilemma in one of his talks and went through some points, from what i gathered, it's best to do as much as you can for Allah and not avoid leaving good out of fear of riyaa, as this is a thought Satan sometimes assaults people with when he can't deter them from doing good........As long as it becomes a good habit afterwards, it's still good - as far as I learnt from this story, I haven't a clue how authentic it is but i've read it in books and heard it since I was little, never found a source so don't hold your breath,.......The man gave up lying out of fear of Allah and other evils out of fear of people:
Telling the truth is a very good habit. If you always speak the truth, you can save yourself from a lot of trouble! Here is a story of a man who did a lot of bad things, but his promise to tell the truth saved him........Once a man came to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and said, "O Messenger of Allah (SWT), I have many bad habits. Which one of them should I give up first?" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said, "Give up telling lies first and always speak the truth." The man promised to do so and went home........At night the man was about to go out to steal. Before setting out, he thought for a moment about the promise he made with Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). "If tomorrow Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) asks me where have I been, what shall I say? Shall I say that I went out stealing? No, I cannot say that. But nor can I lie. If I tell the truth, everyone will start hating me and call me a thief. I would be punished for stealing.".......So the man decided not to steal that night, and gave up this bad habit of stealing.......Next day, he felt like drinking alcohol, when he was about to do so, he said to himself, "What shall I say to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) if he asks me what did I do during the day? I cannot tell a lie, and if I speak the truth people will hate me, because a Muslim is not allowed to drink alcohol." And so he gave up the idea of drinking alcohol........In this way, whenever the man thought of doing something bad, he remembered his promise to tell the truth at all times. One by one, he gave up all his bad habits and became a good Muslim and a very good person.......If you always speak the truth, you can be a good person, a good Muslim whom Allah (SWT) likes and favors. If Allah (SWT) - our Creator - is pleased with us, He will reward us with Heaven, which is a place of happiness and joy.http://www.ezsoftech.com/stories/prophet.muhammad2.asp

Periwinkle18
08-22-2013, 02:14 AM
Actions are judged by intentions. I don't think u should stop doing good deeds Cuz of the fear of ppl. That's an excuse for not doing good. Allah looks at our hearts, have the intention that what ever u do you're doing it for Allah n that you don't care what ppl say or think Cuz its not for them its for ur Lord only :)

I don't think ur showing off Cuz ur actually worried abt it.

You know Wht you should recite this dua Alhumdulilah I do.

O Allah! Purify my heart from hypocrisy (nifaaq) , and my deeds from pretence/ ostentation and my tongue from falsehood and my eye from deceit. You know well the treachery of the eyes and what is hidden in the chests.

Its a mansion dua found in (baihiqi)

You'll have to search for the Arabic if u can't find it I'll take a pic from my book n upload it.

Signor
08-22-2013, 04:11 AM
Dua for Removing Hypocrisy

Allahumma tahhir qalbi min an-nifaq, wa ‘amali min ar-riya’, wa lisani min al-kadhib, wa ‘ayni min al-khiyana. Fa innaka ta‘lamu khainata’l a‘yun, wa ma tukhfis-sudur

(O Allah! Purify my heart of hypocrisy, and my deeds from showing off, and my tongue from lying, and my eyes from betraying trust (looking at the forbidden). For indeed, You know what the eyes betray, and what is hidden deep in the breasts) -Baihiqi

Periwinkle18
08-22-2013, 04:16 AM
JazakAllah khayr for posting akhi.

Fainoz
08-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Thank you! that is exactly what I needed! JazakAllah Khairun

Periwinkle18
08-26-2013, 07:58 AM
:) alhumdulillah

straightpath1
09-30-2013, 09:29 PM
It depends on ur intentions .. As long as your intention is not to show off it should be fine

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!