Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Signor
11-13-2013, 06:32 PM

glo
11-13-2013, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Signor
Lovely video.

"Religion is not here to divide us, and if it does it is not from God."

"It is a great blessing to be somewhere where you feel comfortable and you don't have to worry about somebody telling you that you are not doing it right."

I wonder if that should apply to people from different religions too ... and if our belief in the same God should bring us together, rather than divide us ... and we should be tolerant of our different ways of worshipping and praying.

Or is Hamza Yusuf only talking to and about Muslims here?

Eric H
11-13-2013, 11:24 PM
Greetings and peace be with you glo;

I wonder if that should apply to people from different religions too ... and if our belief in the same God should bring us together, rather than divide us ... and we should be tolerant of our different ways of worshipping and praying.
Interfaith week starts this Sunday the 17th November, there are events all round the UK

In the spirit of praying to 'One God'

Eric

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
11-14-2013, 12:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo

Greeting, Glo.

There's no compulsion to embrace Islam. If you want to still in your faith, it's okay. And I will not intervene your ways in pray and worship.

However, if a Muslim make deviation in pray and worship, I have duty to remind him back to the right ways in pray and worship in accordance of Islamic guidelines.

:)

Signor
11-14-2013, 06:02 AM
is Hamza Yusuf only talking to and about Muslims here?
In the video,he addressed only Muslims.Like many others,he can't and don't want to see Ummah of Muhammad(SAWWS) tearing each other apart.imsad

if our belief in the same God should bring us together, rather than divide us ... and we should be tolerant of our different ways of worshipping and praying.
We have an offer for you from Quran

Say, "O People of the Scripture(Jews and Christians), come to a word that is equitable between us and you - that we will not worship except Allah and not associate anything with Him and not take one another as lords instead of Allah." (64:Sūrat Al ʿIm'rān)

format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
In the spirit of praying to 'One God'
I echo what said above

Regards

glo
11-14-2013, 07:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Interfaith week starts this Sunday the 17th November, there are events all round the UK
Thank you for the reminder, Eric. :)

glo
11-14-2013, 07:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
However, if a Muslim make deviation in pray and worship, I have duty to remind him back to the right ways in pray and worship in accordance of Islamic guidelines.
But isn't that the point Hamza Yusuf is making - that Muslims cause each other pain and division and even drive others away from Islam because they keep telling others that 'they are doing it wrong'?

I was just trying to roll this out into a wider interfaith picture.
If you can allow me as a Christian of pray and worship differently from you, why is it harder to allow a fellow Muslims (perhaps from a different sect) to worship Islamically, but it ways slightly different to you?

greenhill
11-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Cannot generalise too far.... It would be those areas which are grossly misinterpreted that would be 'corrected' like someone claiming that it is not necessary to perform the 5 daily prayers etc. Essentially islam is about 'moderation' and not extremism. A hard balance to maintain. To strive as well as remain patient... Can we be that perfect?

Peace :shade:

ardianto
11-14-2013, 03:16 PM
But isn't that the point Hamza Yusuf is making - that Muslims cause each other pain and division and even drive others away from Islam because they keep telling others that 'they are doing it wrong'?

I was just trying to roll this out into a wider interfaith picture.
If you can allow me as a Christian of pray and worship differently from you, why is it harder to allow a fellow Muslims (perhaps from a different sect) to worship Islamically, but it ways slightly different to you?
When I perform salah I put my hands on belly, while few of my friends put their hands on chest. In salah subh (dawn prayer), majority of Muslims in Indonesia recite "dua qunoot" while the rest do not recite it. Just two example,

It's okay. These differences are not deviation, but just diversity in Fiqh which acceptable. But if a Muslim use other language in salah, I must remind him because this is already a deviation. There is difference between deviation and diversity.

Unfortunately, there are few Muslims who are very strict and cannot accept diversity that they regard as deviation. They are people who meant by Hamza Yusuf.

If I allow you to pray and worship differently than me?. You are not a Muslim, but Christian. So you must follow Christian guideline, just like I follow Islamic guideline.

Did I ever remind a Christian in matter of pray and worship?. Yes! I've ever remind my Christian friend who was lazy to go to church.

:)

AhmedGassama
11-24-2013, 02:43 PM
masha'Allah i liked the video of Hamza Yusuf

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!