/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Satan in Islam

loveofgod
08-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Do Muslims believe in the same Satan that is described in the Bible? He is said to be a serpent tempting Adam and Eve.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
08-21-2013, 05:36 PM
A related Fatwa

Fatwa No : 28220
Satan whispered to Aadam (Adam) and Hawwaa’ (Eve), may Allaah exalt their mention
Fatwa Date : Ramadan 16, 1432 / 16-8-2011
Question

How did the accursed Satan enter Paradise and whisper to Aadam (Adam)

?

Answer

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad, sallallaahu 'alyhi wa sallam, is His slave and Messenger.

There is a difference of opinion among scholars regarding the way in which Satan whispered to both Aadam and Hawwaa’ (Eve), may Allaah exalt their mention. According to Ibn Mas‘ood, Ibn ‘Abbaas

and the majority of scholars, Satan whispered to them verbally. They quoted the following verse as proof of their view; Allaah The Almighty Says (what means): {And he swore [by Allaah] to them, "Indeed, I am to you from among the sincere advisors."} [Quran 7:21]
Al-Baydhaawi

mentioned that there is a difference of opinion whether he went before them and enticed them or did so by way of whispering. However, Allaah The Almighty Says (what means): {[Allaah] said [to Satan], "Then get out of it [Paradise], for indeed, you are expelled.} [Quran 15:34] and, therefore, there is a difference regarding the way in which he managed to whisper to them after he had been expelled from Paradise. Regarding the interpretation of the verse, some scholars are of the view that before his disobedience, the accursed Satan used to honorably enter Paradise like the honorable angels; however, after this incident, Allaah The Almighty only allowed him to enter in humiliation and disgrace in order to be a test for both Aadam and Hawwaa’, may Allaah exalt their mention. Another view is that he stood at the door of Paradise, called them, then whispered to them.
According to a third view, he got himself into the mouth of a snake which took him inside Paradise. Referring to this, Al-Qurtubi

transmitted on the authority of Wahb ibn Munabbih

that the accursed Satan entered Paradise hiding in the mouth of a she-snake. After she had entered Paradise, he left her body, took from the fruit of the tree that Allaah The Almighty had forbidden Aadam and Hawwaa’, may Allaah exalt their mention, to eat from, then he first whispered to Hawwaa’,may Allaah exalt her mention, who ate from it. After that, he directed himself towards Aadam

and enticed him. In this regard, it was also said that Hawwaa’ encouragedAadam, may Allaah exalt their mention, to eat from the tree and told him that she had eaten from it but had not been harmed. After eating from the tree, their private parts appeared to them and they, therefore, became sinners. Afterwards, Allaah The Almighty ordered Aadam

to descend to the earth from which he had been created. The snake was cursed after this incident and enmity was planted between her and the offspring of Aadam

forever and, therefore, we are commanded to kill snakes.
Furthermore, Al-Qurtubi

added that there is another group of scholars who are of the view that the accursed Satan did not enter Paradise to entice Aadam

; rather, he used his ability to whisper that Allaah The Almighty provided him with after he had been expelled from it. Referring to this, it was reported that the Prophet

, said that the accursed Satan circulates the mind of the human as his blood circulates his body. [Al-Bukhaari]
Through the illustrated discussion above, it becomes clear that there is a difference among the scholars of Tafseer (Quranic exegesis) regarding the way in which the accursed Satan whispered to Aadam and Hawwaa’, may Allaah exalt their mention. It seems that the preponderant view is that which many of the scholars of Tafseer mentioned, which is the view of Ibn Mas‘ood and Ibn ‘Abbaas

that the accursed Satan whispered to them verbally. They quoted the verse in which Allaah The Almighty Says (what means): {And he swore [by Allaah] to them, "Indeed, I am to you from among the sincere advisors."} [Quran 7: 21] This is because swearing is obviously done verbally. Furthermore, they are of the view that Allaah The Almighty allowed the accursed Satan to enter Paradise after his disobedience, but in a humiliated and disgraced fashion.

Allaah Knows best

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=28220

sister herb
08-21-2013, 05:36 PM
I have no idea to what Satan christians believe but hopely here is only one.

:phew

Maybe it would help you if you read the Quran again.

h-n
08-21-2013, 05:37 PM
We accept that there is a Satan who is part of the creation of the Jinn (the bad jinn are called devils). We do not accept that he is an angel. Satan did tempt Prophet Adam peace be upon him and Eve to eat the apple, and this story is stated in the Quran.

Satan (known as Iblis) does not run Hell, as he will be going there himself, along with the rest of this children who decided to become evil.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
08-21-2013, 05:39 PM
another reply .

Name of Questioner: Ahmad
Subject (not all answers are published): How Did Satan (Iblis) Approach Adam and Eve in Paradise?
Reply date: 2003-08-25
Question: I have a very tricky question that has been puzzling my mind for a long time. We know that Allah Almighty forbade Iblis to enter the Jannah (Paradise). How did Iblis manage to whisper to Adam and Eve to the extent that both of them were ordered to leave Paradise and inhibit the Earth? Your earliest response will be very much appreciated. Jazakum Allahu Khayran!
consultant: Group of Muftis
Answer
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, thank you very much for having confidence in us and for your interesting question. We implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

In his response to your question, Dr. Tal`at Muhammad `Afifi, Dean of the Faculty of Da`wah at Al-Azhar University, states:

“Looking into what has been mentioned in the Qur’an about the way Iblis approached Adam (peace and blessings be upon him) we find out that it was through waswasah, or whispering and insinuation. Referring to this, Allah Almighty says: “But Satan whispered evil to him: he said, ‘O Adam! shall I lead thee to the Tree of Eternity and to a kingdom that never decays?’” (Taha: 120)

Waswasah does not necessarily mean that Iblis changed to another creature, as it runs through people like blood.”

Shedding more light on the issue, Sheikh `Atiyyah Saqr, former head of Al-Azhar Fatwa Committee adds:

“Allah Almighty says: “Then Satan whispered to them that he might manifest unto them that which was hidden from them of their shame, and he said: Your Lord forbade you from this tree only lest ye should become angels or become of the immortals. And he swore unto them (saying): Lo! I am a sincere adviser unto you.” (Al-A`raf: 20-21)

It is clear from the aforementioned verse that Iblis talked with both Adam and Eve after its expulsion from Paradise. Allah Almighty referred to that talk as waswasah.

The question now is: How did such waswasah take place despite that Iblis was not actually in Paradise with Adam and Eve?

The apparent meaning of the verse refers to the fact that the dialogue between the two parties took place in an ordinary form. The talk was not in the form of soliloquie vibrating in hearts of both; verbal talk itself is sometimes called waswasah, especially when it is done secretly.

What I want to say here is that there has been much ado about this very issue, and there is no authentic Hadith that provides a clear-cut response.

We can not rule out that Iblis talked to Adam and Eve while he was standing by the gate of Paradise, with Adam and Eve inside. With this possibility, it is clear that Iblis did not gain any entry to the Paradise after its expulsion.

Finally, some people claim that Iblis managed to enter Paradise by hiding in the belly of a beautiful snake, and that makes a snake one of the animals mostly hated by humans. Undoubtedly, the above claim has no legal backing.”
If you have any further comments, please don’t hesitate to write back!

May Allah guide you to the straight path, and guide you to that which pleases Him, Amen.

You can also read:
Was Eve Behind Adam’s Expulsion from Paradise?

Why Does Satan Mislead Humans?

http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-t...ef/175292.html

loveofgod
08-22-2013, 09:16 AM
I can accept the idea of Satan misleading humans. But I read something the other day that went along the lines of God misguiding man. How does that work? ^o)

Muslim Woman
08-22-2013, 12:21 PM
well , nothing can happen without the leave and permission of God Almighty . So , though Adam pbuh was misguided by Satan, we can say that it was a part of God's plan .

And Allah knows Best.

h-n
08-22-2013, 12:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by loveofgod
I can accept the idea of Satan misleading humans. But I read something the other day that went along the lines of God misguiding man. How does that work? ^o)

Allah does not make people evil, they do that himself, as why would God purposely make people evil and then send them to Hell (as that wouldn't be their fault-they would say that they couldn't help it God made them that way). So God sends people to Hell as it is their fault, they are responsible for being evil.

Allah allows people to do evil with his "leave", which means that he doesn't get involved to stop them, but lets people continue being evil to test them. If Allah was to stop us from being evil, then how would we be tested?

As per the Quran, the more the people reject, the more the hearts get hardened, and as with any evil people they think that they deceive, the concentrate on thinking that they are effecting the lives of others-but they effect themselves as it is they who spend their lives being evil. It is rather like the devils, even though they talk about humans and misleading them -what they have done to themselves is far worse then what they can do to others. As they are the ones who make their lives scheming, plotting and even to the extent of thinking its a great thing that they can effect people's lives.

Allah rewards those who do good with good, and he rewards those who do evil with evil, so for the example of Pharoah, who even built a tower to show to his people that he was going to attack God, Allah lets them stay that way and lets them increase their evil as that is what they asked for themselves.

This is also the top reasons that we do not listen and wish to get involved in governments doings, and fight were they have caused trouble (but best to be patient, just as the jews have done when Pharoah killed their newborn boys), because yes we should know what's going on in this world, but not to the extent that we are just thinking about the evil deeds of them, as that is stopping people from remembering the Major signs of the Day of Judgement. The fact that the people in Egypt who died would not care anymore of the politics, yes there are rights and wrongs, but were they are, they care about were they are ending up in either in Paradise or in Hell.

loveofgod
08-26-2013, 01:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
well , nothing can happen without the leave and permission of God Almighty . So , though Adam pbuh was misguided by Satan, we can say that it was a part of God's plan .
In other words if Satan misguided Adam it was actually Allah misguiding him? ^o)

Muslim Woman
08-26-2013, 03:13 PM
In other words if Satan misguided Adam it was actually Allah misguiding him? ^o)

Allah gave us choices , conscience . If we do anything wrong , we must not put blame on God Almighty . Adam pbuh made a mistake and he repented for that and was forgiven . Remember , Satan also made mistake but he was too arrogant to admit it . It's better if we learn lesson from Adam's mistake

It's not encouraged in Islam to ask toooo many questions about why God did that , why God did not do that etc . It gives Satan a chance to ask , think and act that will displease God and satisfy satan.

And God Almighty knows Best.

Hulk
08-26-2013, 03:39 PM
It's not encouraged in Islam to ask toooo many questions about why God did that , why God did not do that etc . It gives Satan a chance to ask , think and act that will displease God and satisfy satan.
Before anyone jumps on blindly saying that this means it is not "encouraged" to think in Islam. No, it merely means that what we should be asking about should be in relation to how we can benefit from the knowledge to earn God's pleasure.

Our Prophet(pbuh) has warned us about knowledge that does not benefit.
"..O Allah, I seek refuge in You from the knowledge which does not benefit, from the heart that does not have fear of Allah, from the soul that does not feel content, and the supplication that is not answered."

If one's intention here is to genuinely learn about Islam then it will reflect in the questions they ask. InshaaAllah.

Signor
08-26-2013, 04:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
If one's intention here is to genuinely learn about Islam then it will reflect in the questions they ask. InshaaAllah.
This is the REAL problem here.

loveofgod
08-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Allah gave us choices , conscience . If we do anything wrong , we must not put blame on God Almighty .
Yes, that one I agree on. It won't be right to do something wrong and then say God made me do it. It would not be reasonable to say that God is misguiding that person. But in this case, I believe we can say Satan is the one doing the misguiding.

So I really don't understand that part where God misguides human beings.

How do you tell whether a person is guided by God or misguided by God?

loveofgod
08-26-2013, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
Before anyone jumps on blindly saying that this means it is not "encouraged" to think in Islam. No, it merely means that what we should be asking about should be in relation to how we can benefit from the knowledge to earn God's pleasure.
I'm asking questions to get a better understanding about Islam, the religion practiced by Muslims. It is not to earn Allah's pleasure because this is not the God I worship. I want to know things about Islam from Muslims themselves. If my questions are too difficult or you can't answer them, I guess I'll stop asking and cease obtaining more information on this religion.

Hulk
08-26-2013, 09:28 PM
If my questions are too difficult or you can't answer them, I guess I'll stop asking and cease obtaining more information on this religion.
It's unfortunate that you would interpret sincere advice in that way.

So I really don't understand that part where God misguides human beings.

Do you believe that something can happen without the will of God?

Muslim Woman
08-27-2013, 04:52 PM
.....So I really don't understand that part where God misguides human beings.

few related verses from holy Quran .

And Allah guides not the people who are Zalimoon (polytheists and wrong-doers).

( سورة آل عمران , Aal-e-Imran, Chapter #3, Verse #86)

Verily, those who believe, then disbelieve, then believe (again), and (again) disbelieve, and go on increasing in disbelief; Allah will not forgive them, nor guide them on the (Right) Way.

( سورة النساء , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #137)

So, as for those who believed in Allah and held fast to Him, He will admit them to His Mercy and Grace (i.e. Paradise), and guide them to Himself by a Straight Path.
( سورة النساء , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #175)

Verily! Those who believe not in the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allah, Allah will not guide them and theirs will be a painful torment.
( سورة النحل , An-Nahl, Chapter #16, Verse #104)

loveofgod
08-28-2013, 05:26 AM
Thank you very much for the above verses. They help me understand things a little better.

CallofCthulhu
09-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Islam and Christianity have different understanding and knowledge of Satan, but both are correct in identifying him as something to fear. The crawling chaos that haunts humanity can take many forms. He might appear as a man, perhaps resembling one of the ancient Pharaohs of Egypt? It is important to remember that Nyarlathotep can choose to appear as anything he wishes. Do not trust men who can perform "miracles", no not trust mysterious voices coming from darkness.

h-n
09-01-2013, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by CallofCthulhu
Islam and Christianity have different understanding and knowledge of Satan, but both are correct in identifying him as something to fear. The crawling chaos that haunts humanity can take many forms. He might appear as a man, perhaps resembling one of the ancient Pharaohs of Egypt? It is important to remember that Nyarlathotep can choose to appear as anything he wishes. Do not trust men who can perform "miracles", no not trust mysterious voices coming from darkness.
Giving the name of Nyrarlathotep a fictional name for a real being is not correct, as you maybe saying that Satan is also fiction created by Men. He is not something to be feared, but to seek refuge in Allah from being led astray by him (by going into sin). We trust the Prophets who by Allah's leave were able to perform miracles ie;-

Prophet Solomon peace be upon him controlling the wind and demons, and speaking to animals,

Prophet Jesus peace be upon him making a bird out of clay and becoming alive by Allah's permission, Allah providing the table spread with food from heaven during his time,

Prophet Salih peace be upon him and the camel

Prophet Moses peace be upon him with the staff turning into a snake, and the plagues of Egypt and his hand turning white etc.

loveofgod
09-01-2013, 07:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CallofCthulhu
Do not trust men who can perform "miracles", no not trust mysterious voices coming from darkness.
Yes, it's a mistake to trust anyone. I believe Satan can come in any form.

Hulk
09-02-2013, 01:13 AM
Yes, it's a mistake to trust anyone. I believe Satan can come in any form.
Is that belief based on religious text?

YusufNoor
09-02-2013, 02:18 AM
Do Muslims believe in the same Satan that is described in the Bible? He is said to be a serpent tempting Adam and Eve.
this is the clarifications about Islam section, not comparative religion. to clarify, Muslims are NOT encouraged to read the Bible...at all.

format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Maybe it would help you if you read the Quran again.
this is a good answer!

because of man's creation, Shaytan rebelled against Allah. he declared his war on man. Allah let him until judgement day. all except the sincere may be persuaded by him.

(lost my Quran search link, but find one and look up Shaytan.)

this one looks good for searching:

http://search-the-quran.com/search/shaytan

but then look up the verses here:

http://quran.com/

And indeed, it is We who give life and cause death, and We are the Inheritor.
15:24 Sahih International
And We have already known the preceding [generations] among you, and We have already known the later [ones to come].
15:25 Sahih International
And indeed, your Lord will gather them; indeed, He is Wise and Knowing.
15:26 Sahih International
And We did certainly create man out of clay from an altered black mud.
15:27 Sahih International
And the jinn We created before from scorching fire.
15:28 Sahih International
And [mention, O Muhammad], when your Lord said to the angels, "I will create a human being out of clay from an altered black mud.
15:29 Sahih International
And when I have proportioned him and breathed into him of My [created] soul, then fall down to him in prostration."
15:30 Sahih International
So the angels prostrated - all of them entirely,
15:31 Sahih International
Except Iblees, he refused to be with those who prostrated.
15:32 Sahih International
[ Allah ] said, O Iblees, what is [the matter] with you that you are not with those who prostrate?"
15:33 Sahih International
He said, "Never would I prostrate to a human whom You created out of clay from an altered black mud."
15:34 Sahih International
[ Allah ] said, "Then get out of it, for indeed, you are expelled.
15:35 Sahih International
And indeed, upon you is the curse until the Day of Recompense."
15:36 Sahih International
He said,"My Lord, then reprieve me until the Day they are resurrected."
15:37 Sahih International
[ Allah ] said, "So indeed, you are of those reprieved
15:38 Sahih International
Until the Day of the time well-known."
15:39 Sahih International
[Iblees] said, "My Lord, because You have put me in error, I will surely make [disobedience] attractive to them on earth, and I will mislead them all
15:40 Sahih International
Except, among them, Your chosen servants."
15:41 Sahih International
[ Allah ] said, "This is a path [of return] to Me [that is] straight.
15:42 Sahih International
Indeed, My servants - no authority will you have over them, except those who follow you of the deviators.
15:43 Sahih International
And indeed, Hell is the promised place for them all.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!