Originally Posted by loveofgod
the husband is seen as the head of the household, as such a Muslim husband wouldn't be violating his wife's believe by holding the household to Islamic standards. yes, the wife might be denied things that are permissible, but they aren't required.
1) alcohol. a Christian woman is not required
to have alcohol in the home. If a Muslim husband says no alcohol in the house, her religious beliefs aren't denied. If a Christian husband wants alcohol served for the household, because it is permissible but not required, the wife would be forced to act counter to her faith.
2) pork. use the above sentence and change alcohol to pork.
3) polytheistic images (it was an afterthought) same as about just insert polytheistic images for alcohol.
number 3 can be a big issue for mixed couples, many Christians adore pictures of Jesus, Mary, the cross, etc. Christmas, which is rife with pagan symbolism, is another big challenge.
so it boils down to polytheism, thus it is relevant. when you follow laws other than Allah's, you have set something up in His place. that is shirk, polytheism.
just because you see Muslims doing something, it does not mean it is permissible.
as far as people being born onto something, the Qur'an, 43. Surah Az-Zukhruf, says:
18. (Do they then like for Allah) a creature who is brought up in adornments (wearing silk and gold ornaments, i.e. women), and in dispute cannot make herself clear?
19. And they make the angels who themselves are slaves to the Most Beneficent (Allah) females. Did they witness their creation? Their evidence will be recorded, and they will be questioned!
20. And they said: "If it had been the Will of the Most Beneficent (Allah), we should not have worshipped them (false deities)." They have no knowledge whatsoever of that. They do nothing but lie!
21. Or have We given them any Book before this (the Qur'an), to which they are holding fast?
22. Nay! They say: "We found our fathers following a certain way and religion, and we guide ourselves by their footsteps."
23. And similarly, We sent not a warner before you (O Muhammad ) to any town (people) but the luxurious ones among them said: "We found our fathers following a certain way and religion, and we will indeed follow their footsteps."
24. (The warner) said: "Even if I bring you better guidance than that which you found your fathers following?" They said: "Verily, We disbelieve in that with which you have been sent."
25. So We took revenge of them, then see what was the end of those who denied (Islamic Monotheism).