/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tooth whitening in Islam. Permissible or not?

Tiara B
09-28-2013, 01:57 AM
Assalamu alaikum!
Recently, I was told that teeth whitening was haram in Islam. But I was not entirely sure about it. But there are two types of teeth whitening; fixing permanent tooth veneers and bleaching.
Could someone please tell me if any of these two methods are permissible in islam?
Also, I need to know if whitening is allowed if teeth are naturally discoloured and very yellow which no amount of brushing can change.
Your help will be much appreciated.
Thank you

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
09-28-2013, 07:07 AM
Waalaikum salam

I am not familiar with method of whitening the teeth. But regarding to this matter, Islamic scholars in my place said, since the original colour of teeth is white, then if the teeth turn into yellow or dark colour, it's permissible to make the teeth back into white again. It's not considered as change what Allah has created, but just a treatment.

sister herb
09-28-2013, 08:32 AM
Salam alaykum

I recommend to go to the dentist if color of the teeth is not white. Person might have some problems of the health of teeth.

Skorpio
11-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Cheap option, when brushing with your normal toothpaste, try adding some bicarbonate of soda on your brush too, it stings but it works! Don't use excessively though, twice a week is enough as it is alkaline.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Jedi_Mindset
11-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Miswak left out or what? Not only that, if you use it you are actually following a sunnah!

Scimitar
11-20-2013, 09:23 PM
worked for me ^ but then I gave up chewing stick and brushing and ended up getting my teeth whitened professionally in India lol.

I miss my miswak.... hmmm...

Scimi

Jedi_Mindset
11-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Tooth whitening costs alot right?

Ahmad H
11-20-2013, 10:50 PM
The Holy Prophet (saw) focused quite a bit on brushing his teeth. There is a Hadith which explained how if he could advise Muslims to use Miswak for every Salat prayer, then he would. I remember learning how in a couple of hours in a day, your teeth gain a lot of bacteria on them. There are very graphic images of this as examples.

So why wouldn't taking care of your teeth be allowed, such as whitening? The Holy Prophet (saw) advised Muslims not to ask too many questions from him (saw), so as not to make everything too difficult for ourselves. The scholars of Islam shouldn't have to issue a Fatwa every single time we see something slightly different from what we know originally.

This is like asking if we are following Sunnah or not if we don't use a tree branch as a Miswak, and use a toothbrush instead of it. Or if toothpaste is allowed or not. Or if dental check-ups are allowed or not. If the Holy Prophet (saw) stressed on the use of Miswak, which was to keep the teeth clean, then he meant to show us that we need to take care of our teeth.

My advice is to think for yourself in small issues such as these. Islam isn't meant to be so strict to the dot of each letter. Whiten your teeth if it helps you to look more pleasant to others. Yellow teeth just look bad and may be bad for dental health, as pointed out above. And we are advised by the Holy Prophet (saw) to seek medical cures from people, as well as do du'a to Allah asking Him for help. Thus, it is pretty clear that whitening your teeth is perfectly fine. You really don't need someone to find a Fatwa on this.

Ahmed555
08-17-2015, 05:27 PM
I did not hear before that teeth whitening is harm in Islam. so, i can't help you anything.sorry.

umairlooms
08-18-2015, 06:10 AM
haram?

i think we ALL DOUBT THIS

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!