/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Leicester house fire: Thousands gather for funeral prayers

Muhammad
10-11-2013, 12:01 AM
May Allaah :swt: have mercy upon Dr Taufiq's family and grant him sabr, Aameen.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...#axzz2hMlIzDE5

Grieving father Dr Taufiq Sattar cried as he helped to carry the coffins of his wife and three children.

But he found the strength to poignantly address the crowd, as 10,000 people gathered at Spinney Hill Park to pay their final respects to his family earlier today.

It was an emotional afternoon for everyone who had gone to the park to say their last goodbyes to Shehnila Taufiq and her three children, Zainab, 19, Bilal, 17, and Jamal, 15, who died in a house fire last month.

Several hours after the funeral prayers, police charged a 22-year-old man with four counts of murder in connection with the deaths.

He is the eighth person to be charged with murder, in relation to fire at the house in Wood Hill, Spinney Hills on September 13.

Speaking to the media after yesterday’s funeral prayers, Dr Sattar said: “My heart is crying.”

“This is a very sad day.”

He added: “I cried a few times today by carrying the coffin of my family. But this is just natural.

“I’m not angry, but my heart is broken.”

Mourners started gathering at the park early yesterday afternoon.
The coffins were brought from the mortuary at Jame Mosque, Asfordby Street, to the park in two modified ambulances, led by a police car

Their arrival at the park reduced most of the emotional crowd to tears.
There were tears from not only those who knew the family but thousands of people who did not and had come to the park to show their support.
The coffins were laid next to one another underneath a white marquee.
As with the Muslim tradition, rows of men stood together in front of the marquee, while the women paid their respects further back in a taped off area.
There was silence as Dr Sattar addressed the thousands of mourners.
He spoke the words one of his sons had read to him the day before he died.
“There are so many people on earth and some of them will be remembered forever but some will never be known,” he recited.
Maulana Adam Lunat, head Imam of Jame Mosque, then led the prayer service

at around 4pm.
After the service, Dr Sattar said: “There is a famous sentence in the Quar’an, which is one that my wife used a lot of the time to get me to calm down: ‘god is always with you, when you show patience’.”
As he left, men linked arms, forming a pathway for Dr Sattar to walk down.
And a queue of men formed, each wanting to show their respects through a hug and a few words.
Before driving

back to the mosque, Dr Sattar shook the hands of City police commander Rob Nixon and assistant chief constable, Roger Bannister and thanked them.
Chairman for the Muslim Burial Council of Leicestershire, Suleman Nagdi, said: “Today was very emotional.
“I salute Doctor Sattar. He is a person, who at times when he was carrying the coffin, I thought would break down but he didn’t.”
Among the mourners was Taslim Hassam, 41, of Highfields, who would often see Bilal playing football at Spinney Hill Park said: “I wanted to pay my deepest respects from the heart. I think everyone has been hurt by this.
“Sometimes you feel so helpless but I wanted to show the Dr Taufiq and other affected by this tragedy that they are not alone – we are here standing with them, showing our support.”
Abdulkarim Gheewala Masjid Al Falah, chairman of Keythorpe Street Mosque, in Highfields, Leicester, said: “It’s unbelievable what’s happened and I know it’s a very sad time.
“The community will be stronger as a result of this, the unity that has been demonstrated here is truly remarkable.”
The Venerable Dr Tim Stratford, archdeacon of Leicester, was at the service on behalf of the Diocese and Bishop of Leicester.
“Seeing these people here today out of respect, care and love - it shows to me that love is stronger than violence,” he said.
Councillor Manjula Sood, chairwoman of Leicester Council of Faiths, said: "Today we have prayed together for these young souls who have gone to paradise.
“This was an unbelievably tragic event.
“But you can see how people from all walks of life, faiths and different organisations have demonstrated their solidarity in grief.”
Also among the mourners was Shifa Shahab, from Markfield, who said:
“The way the father has dealt with everything despite his pain has inspired me.
“He said to the crowd ‘death will come to us all, but it’s the way you live that will determine what you leave behind you’.
“I think this family have left behind a lot of love and you can feel it.”
The coffins will remain at the mosque until they are transported to Dublin for a funeral this week.

1. Thousands gathered to pay their respects. In the background is the marquee in which the coffins were laid.

2. The media gathers around bereaved husband and father Dr Taufiq Sattar at Spinney Hill Park

3. Thousands gathered to pay their respects to the victims of the house fire in Wood Hill, Leicester.

4. The crowd fell into respectful silence for the prayers, and as the four coffins were brought onto the park.

5. About 10,000 people gathered to pay their respects.

6. The coffins were brought to the park by private ambulance.

7. People gathered to show 'respect and love'.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
10-11-2013, 12:37 AM
It's not an easy thing to accept the loss of our loved ones.

May Allah give patience to Dr Taufiq Sattar, and give beautiful place in Jannatul Firdaus to his wife and children.

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon.

جوري
10-11-2013, 04:30 AM
لا حول ولا قوة الا بالله وانا لله وإنا اليه راجعون
This upset me greatly may :Allah: :swt: give him patience and strength and may his family be in الفردوس الأعلى مع الشهداء

glo
10-11-2013, 05:54 AM
This was a real interfaith even, where people from all faiths and backgrounds came to stand together, show their respect and offer their support and condolences. I know a lady who works as a minister of faith in Leicester and she speaks of the people of Leicester with great joy and love.

Dr Taufiq Sattar sounds like a very humble and gentle man. May he receive comfort from all the support he has been shown and may God bless and protect him and his family.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
10-11-2013, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
This was a real interfaith even, where people from all faiths and backgrounds came to stand together, show their respect and offer their support and condolences. I know a lady who works as a minister of faith in Leicester and she speaks of the people of Leicester with great joy and love.

Dr Taufiq Sattar sounds like a very humble and gentle man. May he receive comfort from all the support he has been shown and may God bless and protect him and his family.
From what I have read about Dr Taufiq Sattar from non-Muslim sources, he seems a Muslim figure who has good relationship with non-Muslims.

And this is an article about Dr Taufiq Sattar

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Dr+Sat...s.-a0343492170

Insaanah
10-11-2013, 09:59 PM
There have been three major housefires in the UK in as many years, that have almost wiped out entire Muslim families. In all cases the husband/father survived, and the wife and children died:

There was one this time last year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-20060876
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-24441858

and one this time the year before that:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15088848
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15070760

In the above case one daughter survived.

May Allah have mercy on all their souls and admit them to paradise without reckoning and grant sabr to their loved ones, ameen.

format_quote Originally Posted by جوري
may his family be in الفردوس الأعلى مع الشهداء
Ameen.

Narrated Jabir ibn Atik (as part of a longer hadeeth)

The Messenger of Allah :saws: said: What do you consider martyrdom?

They said: Being killed in the cause of Allah.

The Messenger of Allah :saws: said: There are seven types of martyrdom in addition to being killed in Allah's cause: one who dies of plague is a martyr; one who is drowned is a martyr; one who dies of pleurisy is a martyr; one who dies of an internal complaint is a martyr; one who is burnt to death is a martyr; who one is killed by a building falling on him is a martyr; and a woman who dies while pregnant is a martyr.

Reference : Sunan Abi Dawud 3111
In-book reference : Book 21, Hadith 23
English translation : Book 20, Hadith 3105

http://www.sunnah.com/abudawud/21/23

http://islamqa.info/en/151904

Mustafa2012
10-11-2013, 10:49 PM
:salam:

:jz: for posting the details.

Does anyone know more about the people responsible for this crime and the motive?

glo
10-13-2013, 02:47 AM
There is very little information at the moment, Mustafa - possible because the case is still being heard in court.
Several arrests have been made and there are some suggestions that the fire is related to a fatal stabbing which had occurred the day before the arson attack took place.

http://news.sky.com/story/1150340/le...seven-in-court

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!