/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Woman Before & After???!!!

nour elhoda
10-13-2013, 03:55 PM
"Woman" is one of the most controversial issues when it comes to the attack against Islam. Many questions arouse around the issue "woman's conditions in Islam". It is claimed that woman is restricted and deprived of all her rights in Islam. But in order to reach a fair judgment, we have to evaluate woman's condition before and after Islam.
First of all, before the advent of Islam woman was treated like a slave and considered as a property. Some examples of that humiliating practices against woman it to be mentioned as follows:
· Woman's personal consent related to their private life was considered unnecessary to the extent that she was never treated as a party to marriage contract.
· Women were used for only one purpose and then discarded, she had no importance or existence except from the physical usage.

· Woman had no independence, she wasn't allowed to have her own property or to inherit. Even, after the death of the father, the sons used to share his wives as they share his property.
· In the times of war, women were treated as part of the loot.
· The birth of a girl in a family was not an occasion of rejoicing, but was regarded as humiliation and disgrace , that's why the pagan Arabs used to bury their daughters alive as they believed that the daughter when she grow up will cause a disgrace.

These inhuman practices against women were not only in the Arab land, outside Arabia woman's conditions were not better. In India, women used to serve the father and brothers before marriage and serve their husbands and father- in -law after marriage. After the husband death, she had no right to live and had to be burnt alive at the pyre of her husband; this inhuman custom was called "Sati".

In Egypt and European countries during the dark ages, women were treated worse than slaves, even they were not considered as humans, but rather they were regarded as a sub-species between animals and humans.

· According to the Quran, men and women have the same spirit, there is no superiority in the spiritual sense between men and women, but physically, of course, men are stronger, and for that reason men are responsible for hard work not women.
· Unlike other doctrines, Islam doesn't blame Eve and her women race for the original sin of eating from the forbidden tree and getting Adam out of paradise. Nowhere in the Quran do we find any notion of blaming Eve for that first mistake.
· In terms of moral and spiritual duties or the acts of worship, the requirements of men and women are the same, except in some cases when women have certain concessions, because of their feminine nature and their health.
· God, in Islam, is very fair and just; the Quran explicitly in more than one verse states that whoever does good deeds whether a male or female will be given an abundant reward.
· Furthermore, there is no restriction in Islamic law that says a woman cannot work or has her profession. In fact, by definition, in a truly Islamic society, there must be women physicians, nurses, and teachers, even after marriage she still has the right to work with the consent of her husband.
· Women in Islam have the right to control and manage their own property, whether before or after marriage. Also she is not responsible for spending a penny of this property on her family, because she has the right to depend economically on her father before marriage and her husband after marriage.
· At the time of divorce, there are certain guarantees during the waiting period for a woman's support, and if she has children, she is entitled to child support.
· Unlike prior Islam, woman's consent to marriage is a prerequisite for the validity of the marriage contract, she has the right to freely say yes or no.
In return of all these rights and securities, men were given a hire share in inheritance because they are responsible for women in all cases, while women have no financial responsibilities towards anyone.
It is not only the Quran that praises woman, but also prophet Mohamed PBUH gave the woman a high position, that is clear in his saying:
"Anyone who has 2 daughters, and didn't bury them, and didn't insult them, and brought them up properly; he and I will be like this in paradise (holding his 2 fingers close together)".

As for the equality in the treatment of sons and daughters that many suffer from , one time prophet Mohamed was sitting down, a man came to sit beside him. After a while, the man's son came, so the man kissed him and sat him on his lap, then his daughter came, and the man just sat her beside him. Prophet Mohamed witnessed that all and told the man (you did not do justice), meaning he should treat both equally and exactly the same. Indeed whenever Fatima, prophet Mohamed's daughter, came to him, in front of anyone, he stood up to her and kissed her on her forehead, and sat her beside him.

This is how Islam sees the woman and treats her, without the slightest inclination to humiliate her or to deprive her of any of her rights. So the question here is that" was the woman's condition better before or after Islam???

Nour Elhoda :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
10-13-2013, 04:26 PM
As a Muslim who learned Islam since I was kid I know that Islam liberate women. But unfortunately, in the wrong hands, Islam can also be used to oppress women.

We cannot close our eyes from reality that there are men who interpret Islam unilaterally and use their interpretation as justification to oppress women.

It's our duty to stop oppression toward women under the name of 'Islam'.

:)

greenhill
10-13-2013, 05:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nour elhoda
"Woman" is one of the most controversial issues when it comes to the attack against Islam. Many questions arouse around the issue . . . . . But in order to reach a fair judgment, we have to evaluate woman's condition before and after Islam.
Yes, and 4 wives is another major related issue too!

'Before and after', perhaps, but if people do not want to accept the message, they just won't. Wearing hijab, another example, impedes on women's rights, they say. But what if that woman wants to cover her aurat? Is it not her right to do so? Why do others feel they need to 'champion' these matters?

Peace

ardianto
10-15-2013, 03:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
Wearing hijab, another example, impedes on women's rights, they say. But what if that woman wants to cover her aurat? Is it not her right to do so? Why do others feel they need to 'champion' these matters?
Do you know? until mid of 80's hijab was banned in schools, govt office, and many companies in Indonesia.

I still remember when one girl was expelled from my school because she wore hijab. That's happened in 1984. But then people launched protest. So, since 1985 schools allowed students and teacher wore hijab in school.

In that time people saw hijab as symbol of backward, illiterate, etc. This view began to changed in mid of 90's after those hijabis gained success in career. People began to realize that hijab is not symbol of backward.

But the biggest surprise was given by sister IK who announced that she stopped being "hot actress" and started to wear hijab. Now she is active as speaker in Muslimah events.

Now is easy to find the professional success women who wear hijab in various working fields in Indonesia.

One thing that should be noticed. The secret behind this success is the hard struggle of the sister themselves who never gave up to make the govt and people aware that hijab is not the symbol of backward or extremism. They were struggling in front while the brothers just support from back side.

Women may weak in physical, but they have power that can change the world.

Don't mess with them. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Jerbi
10-15-2013, 04:03 PM
In my country people have been unofficially banned from wearing Hijab or growing beards. Meaning that if you wear a Hijab , you may very well find yourself in a police precinct being beaten and humiliated or worse. The last few decades in Tunisia have been really harsh for people who wanted to practice their religion. But many women and girls persevered despite the harassment and persecution. May those days never come back.
I always wondered how can it be liberation if it was forced upon you???

nour elhoda
10-15-2013, 05:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
As a Muslim who learned Islam since I was kid I know that Islam liberate women. But unfortunately, in the wrong hands, Islam can also be used to oppress women.

We cannot close our eyes from reality that there are men who interpret Islam unilaterally and use their interpretation as justification to oppress women.

It's our duty to stop oppression toward women under the name of 'Islam'.

:)
you are totally true , but the point here is that we try to clarify what Islam really says not how some people interpret it . Islam never oppresses women , but people do , not under the dictation of islamic laws , but according to their own whims. It is not the fault of islam , but the fault of some individual mentalities that may be found in any other religion .......

nour elhoda
10-21-2013, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill

Yes, and 4 wives is another major related issue too!

Peace
Polygamy or having 4 wives has became so mythical in the mind of people, that they assume being a muslim means having 4 wives as a must, which is a false notion.
a very renowned anthropologist ( Edward Westermarck) in his book ( History of human marriage) notes that there has been polygamy in virtually every culture and religion, including Juddism and Christianity , which means that islam didnot start polygamy , but rather its the only religion that restricts and limits the act of polygamy and put it under certain conditions, and the man can not do it without informing his first wife and with her consent.

so its again not the Islamic law that humiliate woman but individual practices that deform the image of islam

ardianto
10-21-2013, 05:41 PM
I never want to have more than one wife. But jokingly I told my friend who has two wives that I wanted to be like him. But he told me "No! you will get headache!"

Yeah, instead of happy he get headache because his two wives are always fight each other. No wonder, although he has two homes for his two wives, he prefer to sleep in his brother' home.

;D

nour elhoda
10-21-2013, 07:59 PM
I never want to have more than one wife. But jokingly I told my friend who has two wives that I wanted to be like him. But he told me "No! you will get headache!"

Yeah, instead of happy he get headache because his two wives are always fight each other. No wonder, although he has two homes for his two wives, he prefer to sleep in his brother' home.

;D

you know why ?? its because that polygamy has certain conditions under which a man can marry another woman , and his first wife should agree on that, all these things will make life easy with 2 wives. Unlike what happen when a man marries 2 or 3 only to satisfy his desires , life is gonna be like hell among his fighting wives :)

ceagr
10-22-2013, 08:02 AM
in modern socity,i think woman play a very important role,should have the same treat as man

greenhill
10-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Do you know? until mid of 80's hijab was banned in schools, govt office, and many companies in Indonesia.
This is surprising indeed. Considering that Indonesia is the country with the largest muslim population. :embarrass

Peace :shade:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!