/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Should she leave her work or "fight"?

new2010
10-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Selamalaikum,

Let us take following situation: one Muslima works for a company, she wears hijab has a husband and so on but she have problems at work and undergo discrimination. Should she leave that work or "fight" for her rights? In my opinion it would be better to leave this work because Allah is the one who gives our rizq and prophet Muhammad a.s took always the simplest way in concern what had to do with dunya. I personally would not be able to work with people who do not wish to work with me.

I would like to hear your opinion and would like to know how you would decide? What would be in view of Islam best solution?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
10-18-2013, 03:11 AM
Waalaikumsalam

There are many non-Muslims who have negative view on Muslimah who wear hijab. They think she is extreme, regard non-Muslims as enemy, etc. But actually that is because those non-Muslims haven't know much about Islam and Muslims.

About the hijabi sister in your case, my advice is she should not fight and do not too fast to decide to leave her work.

Of someone show an attitude of discrimination, keep smiling. If someone is being sarcastic to her, still treat this someone respectfully. In Shaa Allah, it can open their eyes and realize that a hijabi is not a negative person.

If their eyes still cannot be open, she can leave her work. But do it in the good way.

Mustafa2012
10-21-2013, 09:26 AM
It depends on the situation.

It's best to do Salaat Al Istikhaarah for an important decision like this.
Making du'aa for help and ease is also highly recommended in a situation like this as Allaah :arabic2:is able to turn things around in ways we cannot imagine.

If the job is worth fighting for then she should stand up for her rights. If freedom of expression is allowed for those who want to reveal themselves to any and everyone then it should also be allowed for those who want to dress modestly. We cannot have two sets of rules with regards to dress codes.

Try consulting an employment rights expert. This can be done via a free local advice center like a Citizen's Advice Bureau or something similar. There's usually one in every area. Speak to people in your community and ask if they know anyone that specializes in employment law. If she can prove she's being discriminated against like through witnesses, written evidence etc, then she will have a good case. Most of the times, discrimination is done is a very subtle way.

Sometimes the problem can be sorted out by speaking to the right person in the company for e.g. a person who is fair and just and will be balanced in their judgement.

Sometimes it's just a few individuals that cause the majority of problems and sometimes you will be up against the majority. It just depends on where you work and what your circumstances are.

If that doesn't work then let the person/s who is discriminating against her know (in a nice way) that you know your rights and are willing to take it as far as it needs to in order to sort it out.

I know of people who were discriminated against and they were able to prove it in various ways. They took their employers to court. They won their case and were awarded a substantial amount of compensation.

If the job is not worth fighting for and she can easily find another job or a better one that she will be happier in then she has the option of leaving.

new2010
10-21-2013, 06:42 PM
:sl:

barakh Allahu feekhum,

I heard that sister will get perhaps - insha Allah - another job which has more flexibility for her. Please du'a for her that she gets this job, if it is khair.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mustafa2012
10-21-2013, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by new2010
:sl:

barakh Allahu feekhum,

I heard that sister will get perhaps - insha Allah - another job which has more flexibility for her. Please du'a for her that she gets this job, if it is khair.
May Allaah :arabic2: make things easy for her and grant her a job that's good for her. Verily He is able to do all things.

new2010
10-21-2013, 10:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mustafa2012
May Allaah :arabic2: make things easy for her and grant her a job that's good for her. Verily He is able to do all things.
Amin akhy.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!