/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dog in home

sister herb
10-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Salam alaykum

I had before a dog what I used as helper of traffic accidents search wounded animals. I used it many times with police looking for those animals and that dog lived with my home.

Was that against islam? Did angels came to my home during that time? My dog found those wounded animals and hunters ended they suffering.

:embarrass

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nur Student
10-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Wa Alaykum Salaam wa Rahmatullah Sister Herb,

According to the Maliki and Hanafi schools, dogs are not najees / unclean (unlike the Shafi and Hanbali schools). So, you are not required to wash your hands or cloth when you touch it. However, you are not supposed to keep them in your home. Garden would be OK.

http://www.seekingilm.com/archives/118

Since you asked the question, I would like to mention about the issue of CAUSES, and a lesson we should take from this issue of 'dog being najees' according to some schools:

Even though it is a responsibility to recourse to causes, attributing real influence to them would be obvious aberration and deviation. One should always attribute the real influence and result to Almighty Allah (swt). Because, He is the only Creator. Having recourse to causes is but a form of asking for the result from Him, the All-Powerful One.

A point from Mathnawi Nuriya

"Know O Friend! Attachment to material causes is the cause of humiliation and scorn. Do you not see that although the dog should be regarded as blessed by people due to its many good qualities, notably, its proverbial loyalty and fidelity, it has received the blow of being considered ritually unclean. By contrast, other domestic animals such as the hen and the cow and even the cat, which do not have the feeling of gratitude and loyalty in return for the good done to them by human beings, enjoy being considered by people as blessed. This is because, on account of its disease of greed, the dog is attached to apparent causes to an extent which makes it blind to the true Bestower of Bounties. It supposes the means as truly effective (in the procurement of its food) and as the punishment for its blindness and indifference to the true Owner and Giver of Bounties, it suffers the stigma of ritual impurity so that it can get its purity again. Because rulings (hukm) wipe out the sins. The dog received the blow of humiliation from people as an expiation for its indifference.

As for the blessed animals, they do not recognize the means and causes or accord to them any real value or importance. For example, the cat implores you for food and when it gets what it desires, it behaves as if it did not know you or you did not know it. It does not feel gratitude to you. Instead, it thanks the true Giver of Bounties by mentioning: "O Compassionate One, O Compassionate One! / Ya Rahim, ya Rahim!"

sister herb
10-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Salam alaykum

That dog wasn´t live in the same rooms I slept or prayed. :embarrass I cound´t keep it outside as sometimes here might be -30C at the winter.

Some time I used it also looking for missing people.

Aprender
10-19-2013, 09:57 PM

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
10-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Salam alaykum

My dog saved lives of humans.

Stopped suffering of wounded animals.

I refuse to think that Angels wouldn´t run with us (I and the dog) in emergency situations.

;D

Signor
10-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Waalikum Assalaam

format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Was that against islam?
Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, his reward for good deeds will decrease by one qeeraat every day, except dogs used for farming or herding livestock.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2322.

The version narrated by Muslim (1574) says: “Whoever keeps a dog, except a dog for hunting or herding livestock, his reward will be decreased by two qeeraats every day.”

Dogs used for farming or herding livestock are those that are used to guard them.

This hadeeth indicates that it is permissible to keep a dog to guard one’s property.

Al-‘Iraaqi said in Tarh al-Tathreeb, 6/28: Our companions and others said: it is permissible to keep a dog for these three purposes, namely hunting and protecting one’s livestock and farmland. They differed concerning keeping a dog for the fourth purpose, which is to guard houses or roads etc. Some of our companions said that it is not permissible because of this hadeeth and others, which clearly state that it is haraam except for one of these three things. But most of them said, which is the more correct view, that it is permissible by way of analogy, based on the reason that may be understood from this hadeeth, which is necessity.”
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/33668

Did angels came to my home during that time?
A'isha reported that Gabriel (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) made a promise with Allaah's Messenger (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) to come at a definite hour; that hour came but he did not visit him. And there was in his hand (in the hand of Allaah's Prophet) a staff. He threw it from his hand and said: Never has Allaah or His messengers (angels) ever broken their promise. Then he cast a glance (and by chance) found a puppy under his cot and said: 'A'isha, when did this dog enter here? She said: BY Allaah, I don't know He then commanded and it was turned out. Then Gabriel came and Allaah's Messenger (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) said to him: You promised me and I waited for you. but you did not come, whereupon he said: It was the dog in your house which prevented me (to come), for we (angels) do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture.

Reported by Bukhari and Muslim

I refuse to think that Angels wouldn´t run with us (I and the dog) in emergency situations.
The angels meant are the angels of Blessings and Mercy. As regards the angel of death and the angels who are appointed to record our deeds, they never leave the human being.

In my knowledge and I could be wrong completely,Working dogs are allowed according to Islam. Dogs that are simply 'pets' or 'child sit ins' are not allowed.Basically dogs that you have around for a valid legitimate purpose are the only time there allowed to own, and you know your situation best. However, as you have it with you right now just observe the other things that need to be observed such as keeping it outside(in your case,other rooms than the ones you sleep or pray) and the purification rituals after interacting with it.

For many problems dogs are the only practical solution/the only solution available and in that situation the person owning the dog does his/her best to abide by the rulings surrounding it.However, we should all strive to adapt to the way of removing “questionable” things/ develop other mechanisms for the roles they serve and phase them out of working use.

I would recommend you to consult a scholar or a local imam for better genuine Islamic clarification on matter like these.

And Allah knows best

Nur Student
10-20-2013, 09:15 PM
This site may also be beneficial. The site is mainly focused on the Hanifi teachings, but sometimes tells briefly about the other madhabs, as well. You can ask any of your questions pertaining to 'fiqh'.

http://www.questionsonislam.com/question/are-pets-ok

Is there a drawback in raising dog? Can we raise dog in the garden?

There are some hadith (word of prophet Muhammad) stating that “angels of God’s mercy and grace do not enter the house with a dog in it, some rewards of that home owner that he won for his good deeds decrease everyday, but it is permissible raising a dog for the purpose of hunting, for the sheep, and as a guard”. Also it has a possibility to harm our health and worship (which requires cleanness) because dog saliva and hair may spread around. Therefore if there is not a necessity it is not proper to have a dog inside the house. Raising a dog at home when there is no necessity is not haram (forbidden) but slightly makruh (disliked or abominable acts). In the Fiqh (Islamic Jurisprudence) this is called “tanzehan makruh” (not close to haram (illicit) like tahreman makruh but better if avoided).

In addition to this we can live and worship in a house having dog. It is enough for the floor that we perform salah on, to be clean.

Hz. Muhammad (pbuh) says: “Some rewards of a dog raising person that he won for his good deeds decrease everyday except that it is for hunting, for the sheep, or as a guard for gardens or fields.” (Bukhari, Zabaih, 6; Muslim, Musakhat, 46,50,56-58)

And when the hadith that declaring angels not entering a home with a dog in it taken into consideration, raising dog at home without a necessity like protection or hunting is banned in Islam, because:

a) Poor and lonely people deserve the maintenance and spending of the people who can raise dog more.
b) According to definite medical information there are many contagious diseases passing from dogs to humans.
c) A dog may scare or disturb people near home or coming home.

(Halals and Harams in Our Daily Life), Hayreddin Karaman, İz Yayıncılık)

sister herb
10-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Salam alaykum

My dog and I saved life of two people and found one badly wounded deer (hunters ended its suffering) last night.

:statisfie Deer bones to the dog soon.

Maybe the Angels runned with us.

Muslim Woman
10-22-2013, 04:35 AM
:sl:

sis , better if u ask a Mufti . Here is one address.

Darul Ihsan Islamic Services Centre
Email: fatwa@darulihsan.com
3rd Floor, Gem Towers
98 Overport Drive, Durban, South Africa
P.O Box 76474, Marble Ray, Durban, 4035
Tel: 08611 IHSAN (44726) - Fax: 031 207 3749

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!