/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The world’s worst punishment for rape?

Muslim Woman
10-26-2013, 05:14 AM
:sl:

16 year old Liz was walking home from her grandfather’s funeral when she was ambushed by six men who took turns raping her and then threw her unconscious body down a 6-meter toilet pit. Their punishment? Police had them mow their station lawn, then let them go free!

Liz’s horror story has sent shockwaves through Kenya and now politicians and the police are under pressure to respond. But women's groups in Kenya say nothing will truly change unless the government is put under the global spotlight. They are calling on us urgently to help ensure justice is done and that Liz’s nightmare marks a turning-point in Kenya’s rape epidemic.

Nobody has been brought to justice -- not the rapists, and not the police. Today, we change that. Let's stand with Liz right now, before her attackers and the police escape. Click below to get justice for Liz and help make sure no girl anywhere suffers this violence:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/justice_for_...LZFiab&v=30663

According to the girl’s mother, after they were set free, the rapists returned to Liz’s home to taunt the family. They acted like they were above the law, and they had good reason to think so. Because of ridiculous bureaucratic requirements, the police logged Liz’s attack as mere "assault" and asked her mother to “clean her up”, destroying key forensic evidence. Now her rapists are free and Liz is in a wheelchair.

Liz’s story is an extreme example of a much bigger problem. In Kenya, two thirds of school girls and half of school boys have been sexually abused. And earlier this year, a landmark court ruling found police guilty of failing to do their jobs and ordered them to uphold Kenya’s strict anti-rape laws. Rape is illegal everywhere, but too often these laws are just not enforced by the men charged with protecting our daughters. Beginning with Liz, we can change that.

The police claim that they don’t have the money or training to uphold the law. But you don’t need much training to know that cutting the grass is no punishment for rape. If we can help ensure these rapists and police are held to account, we can set a precedent that will compel police to treat rape as a crime, not a misdemeanour. Sign up now for justice for Liz and to help end the war on girls:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/justice_for_...LZFiab&v=30663

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
10-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Shocking, isn't it? :cry:

Even worse are stories, where the person punished is the violated woman, rather than the man/men who raped her!

More needs to be done to protect women across the world! :heated:

ardianto
10-26-2013, 03:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
I have done.

sister herb
10-26-2013, 03:31 PM
imsad

I have worked in local social office for immigration and listen several kind of stories.

:exhausted

Also muslims make same. You don´t want to know stories I have heard.

:embarrass

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
10-26-2013, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Also muslims make same. You don´t want to know stories I have heard.
You don't need to tell me because I have heard too.

Sadly, seem like we back to Al-Jahiliyah.

ardianto
10-26-2013, 05:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
According to the girl’s mother, after they were set free, the rapists returned to Liz’s home to taunt the family. They acted like they were above the law, and they had good reason to think so. Because of ridiculous bureaucratic requirements, the police logged Liz’s attack as mere "assault" and asked her mother to “clean her up”, destroying key forensic evidence. Now her rapists are free and Liz is in a wheelchair.
Probably those rapists are really above the law. There is a double standard in rape cases, especially in third world countries. If the rapists are ordinary people, police take action quickly, but if the rapists are coming from important families?. Police can be afraid too.

There was a rape case in Indonesia that now still discussed by people although this case happened in 1970!. It's known as "Sum Kuning (Yellow Sum) case".

Sept 18, 1970, a 18 years old egg seller from low class family named Sumarijem (Sum) was waiting for the bus on a street in Yogyakarta. Then a group of men in a car came and kidnapped her. She was raped then left on the street.

Sum was hospitalized. Then after her health was better she reported her rape case to police. But instead of accept her report, police arrested Sum for "giving a false information"

Sum was detained and brought to the court which prosecutor sued her with cage punishment. But the judge freed her because there's no proof that she gave false information. This case started to be hot topic among Indonesian people.

Meanwhile the Indonesian head of police, general Hoegeng, who was known as "Mister Clean and Honest" saw something odd in this case. He ordered his men to re-investigate this case and called some important persons in Yogyakarta that their sons were suspected as the rapists in this case.

But "The Palace" in Jakarta made an intervension. They even ordered Kopkamtib institution to investigate this case. It cause a question among people because Kopkamtib was an institution that only for extra ordinary political case that endanger national security, not be for criminal case.

The result?. Who were the rapists still mysterious, the case closed by president, and general Hoegeng got retired prematurely.

But maybe Sum was luckier than Liz. When she was hospitalized she meet a young man who sympathy to her and then became her husband.

Nur Student
10-26-2013, 06:40 PM
I heard about Liz's appalling story a couple days ago, and already signed for it.

"Time has shown that Paradise is not cheap, and neither is Hell unnecessary."

glo
10-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Almost a million signatures. Please share with anybody you feel will support this petition.

Ramadan90
10-27-2013, 10:47 PM
This is just absolutely sick. I cant believe these things are happening.

If the whole world was ruled by sharia and honest leaders, we would live in a better world. imsad

ardianto
10-28-2013, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
More needs to be done to protect women across the world! :heated:
Crime happen because two factors, intention and opportunity. But the most important is intention. Without intention, crime will not happen although opportunity is open. But with intention, opportunity can be searched.

Need cooperation of the two parties to reduce the rate of rapes, men and women. Men in this matter train themselves to be able to hold their lust, and women refrain from dressing or behaving that provoke man lust.

This sounds like blaming the women. But I will explain. As we know, not all women are good. There are women who likes to dress and act that provoke man lust. Women like these could provoke men had the intention to commit rape. As we know too, not all men are good. There are men who can not hold their lust. When they meet a woman like that, it will arise their intention to commit rape. And ironically, the victims are other women who actually dressed and behave modestly.

This is the point which not understood by those 'less good' women when they are reminded to dress and behave more decently.

Maybe not every woman know that dressed and behave modestly do not reduce beauty, but even will increase beauty.

Modesty in dressing and behavior. This is what I love from my wife. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!