/* */

PDA

View Full Version : what is your legacy

jameelash
11-16-2013, 02:45 AM
What’s Your Legacy

Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Verily, what reaches the momin of his good works and good acts, after his death, is the knowledge (benefitted from)… and a righteous child which he has left (behind him), or a book which he has given to inherit, or a place of worship which he has built, or a house for the homeless which he has built, or a canal which he has caused to be dug, or an act of charity which he has done out of his wealth while in his health and life. (The good effects thereof) reach him (even) after his death.” [A Da'if hadeeth recorded in Bayhaqi, Ibn Majah] http://www.sunnah.com/urn/1252410

Ask yourself what legacy you are leaving behind.

Have you made an effort to leave behind any sadaqa jaariya?

Did you do it for the sake of Allah's pleasure?

Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) only rewards our efforts when we do deeds for His pleasure alone. Did you do good deeds so people would recognize you, praise you or reward you? To the extent that your motive is other than Allah's pleasure, your reward in the akhirah is diminished. For why should Allah reward you for something you didn't do for Him in the first place? Try to do good deeds secretly in order to preserve the benefit of your good deeds for the akhirah, when you will really need it.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crimsontide06
11-16-2013, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jameelash
Did you do it for the sake of Allah's pleasure?
Does this mean...is part of your reasons for doing something (like do good to others,lose weight..work...etc) for Allah...meaning you can have other reasons too like to be healthy, have a good life, help others....or does it mean everything you do must ONLY be for Allah? Always been confused about that..or am I overthinking it?

~Zaria~
11-16-2013, 04:46 PM
:salam:

:jz: for this reminder.

Not only should we strive to perform those acts that will in shaa Allah, be the means of ongoing rewards after our demise, this can be done on behalf of ones parents/ loved ones, as well as the entire ummah - without lessening ones rewards for these actions at all. SubhanAllah, how generous is our Creator!

I had read this advice in this regard, and in shaa Allah, it will be of benefit to everyone as well:

Question

I have in the past built a mosque for my deceased parents and now, with my wife and her brother and sisters we will Insha Allah build a mosque with the niyat that my mother and father in law will benefit as Isaal e Thawaab. My Niyyat is one purely for benefit our deceased family members and ourselves. I am a true believer of Isaal-e-Thawaab projects but will meet resistance from some quarters in the family who will say .. “When a person is dead that is it ! You cannot do anything for him … his amaal naama is closed!”

Please look at the hadith below which I picked up from Faza’il E Sadaqaat and intended to quote to the family.

Rasulullah SAW has said that the returns for a person’s virtues come to an end when he dies; but there are three such things, the returns for which keep accruing even after death:

A Sadaqah with recurring benefits
Knowledge from which people continue to benefit
Virtuous children who offer duas for their deceased parents

Having also read the explanations to the Hadith it seems to make reference to a living person spending and acquiring deeni knowledge when he alive or his virtuous children making duas for him after his death to benefit on an ongoing basis after his death. I cannot see clearly where it says that the children have to spend in the path of Allah in the name of their parent on a cause the returns for which keep accruing for the benefit of the deceased parent. Have I picked up the right hadith ... is there something else which is authenticated I could quote in support of the cause.

I need guidance …. How do I justify encouraging or appealling to the family to contribute to build a mosque or a well or to educate children for the benefit of their deceased parents? My Niyat is clean and Allah knows best.

You comments or those of someone who can quote authenticated hadiths with some authority or can put forward his view point in favour of the project will be appreciated!

Answer

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

It is encouraging to note that members of your family including yourself have taken the responsibility to establish Masaajid and other Islamic related projects. Indeed this is a great service to Islam and the Muslims at large. What can be greater than promoting the construction of the “Houses of Allah Ta’ala (the masaajid)”? Amongst the concerns of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) upon his arrival in Madina Munawwarah was the construction of a Musjid. We make du’a to Allah Ta’ala that he accepts your efforts and assist you in your mission, Ameen.

There is no doubt that construction of a musjid will accrue rewards for person during his lifetime as well as after his death. Construction of a musjid is a Sadaqa (charity) that has recurring rewards. From the Ahadith, we understand that any Sadaqa that has recurring benefits will accrue rewards during one’s lifetime as well as after death. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) mention:

عن أبى هريرة أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال إذا مات الإنسان انقطع عنه عمله إلا من ثلاثة إلا من صدقة جارية أو علم ينتفع به أو ولد صالح يدعو له

“When man dies, his actions come to an end except three, the rewards of which keep accruing even after his death, (they are) Sadaqa (charity) that have recurring benefits, knowledge from which people continue to benefit, pious children who offer du’a on behalf of their deceased parents”(Sahih Muslim, vol 2, pg 41, Kutub Khana Rasheediyya)

In another Hadith, Rasullah (Sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) mention that construction of a musjid will accrue reward for a person even after his death.

عن أبي هريرة قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم : إن مما يلحق المؤمن من عمله و حسناته بعد موته علما علمه و نشره أو ولدا صالحا تركه أو مسجدا بناه أو بيتا لابن السبيل بناه أو نهرا كراه أو صدقة أخرجها من ماله في صحته و حياته تلحقه من بعد موته

“The deeds for which a believer continues to receive their rewards even after his death are: Knowledge which he taught and propagated; pious children which he left behind; a musjid that he constructed; a residence for travellers that he constructed; a canal that he dug; sadaqa (charity) that he gave during his life in good health; all these will assist him after his demise” (Sahih Ibni Khuzaima, #2490, Al-Maktab al-Islami)

We also learn from the above Ahadith that digging of wells and propagating knowledge and education are also forms of “Isaal Al-Thawwab”. Nowadays, by simply sponsoring a well or sponsoring the education of a child will earn a person the same reward.

The abovementioned Ahadith are the rewards for constructing a musjid, sponsoring wells and propagating knowledge. However, this does not negate the fact that the rewards of these actions could also be conveyed to ones deceased parents. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) mentioned:

عن عمرو بن شعيب عن أبيه عن جده قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم لأبي :

إذا أردت أن تتصدق صدقة فاجعلها عن أبويك فإنه يلحقهما و لا ينقص من أجرك شيئا

“Whenever you intend giving charity, then do so on behalf of your parents; for its rewards will surely reach them without your rewards decreasing in the least bit” (Shu’ab Al-Imaan, #7533, Al-Maktaba al-Rushd)

However, the act of “Isaal Al-Thawwab” should not be confined to one’s parents only; rather it is advisable that it should be done on behalf of all the muslims, as explained by the Fuqahaa. This will not reduce ones reward in the least bit. (Radd Al-Muhtar, vol 2, pg 595, HM Saeed)

According to one narration, we understand that the deceased are resembled to a drowning person who frantically awaits rescue. Similarly, the deceased awaits dua’s or any good deed from his parents, brother and friends. When he receives the gift (of dua or any good deed), he cherishes it more than the world and whatever it contains. (Shu’ab Al-Imaan, # 7527, Al-Maktaba al-Rushd)

Sa’d bin Ubadah (Radiyallaahu anhu) once asked Rasullah (Sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam): Can I donate something on behalf of my late mother? Rasullah (Sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) replied: Yes! Sa’d bin Ubadah (Radiyallaahu anhu) asked: Which form of charity is most virtuous? Rasullah (Sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) replied: “Arranging water for masses to drink” (Sunan Al-Nasaaie, #3664, Maktab Al-Matbu’aat al-Islamiyya)

In light of the above explanation;

1. Constructing of Masaajid, providing water for the masses and educating children are forms of reward during one’s life as well after death.

2. Conveying the rewards of these projects to ones parents will also earn them the recurring rewards.

3. When constructing a musjid, ones intention should be to benefit the muslims masses as well as conveying the rewards to all the muslims.

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Ml. Talha Desai,
Student Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

http://www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/16893

greenhill
11-16-2013, 05:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06
Does this mean...is part of your reasons for doing something (like do good to others,lose weight..work...etc) for Allah...meaning you can have other reasons too like to be healthy, have a good life, help others....or does it mean everything you do must ONLY be for Allah? Always been confused about that..or am I overthinking it?
Something I have pondered for a long while inter-mittenly...

And perhaps I can help answer my own question here. There is nothing wrong with having several reasons for doing things. Just don't forget it as an ibadah too. We have to eat, we have to sleep work, be charitable etc, because of Allah and because we can see the benefits in doings so and we feel happy for doing so. We work honestly because of Allah and we get the benefit for the toil and we be thankful by doing what is advised etc.. Giving another different example would be the ritual rasulullah s.a.w. practiced before sleeping, it is like an ibadah. Yes, I believe everything you do (good) can be made an ibadah, it's just your intentions...

Peace :shade:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Signor
11-17-2013, 05:33 AM
@OP

It has already been posted here

http://www.islamicboard.com/hadeeth/...ml#post1499116

Last edited by Insaanah; 1 Hour Ago at 02:52 PM. Reason: Added status of hadeeth as Da'if, plus added link to it's Arabic text.
This Hadith is also stated in other books as well,probably Sr Insaanah referred to this only narration posted.

Abu Hurayrah, rahimahullah, reported that Allah's Messenger, sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam, said, "When a human being dies, all of his deeds are terminated except for three types: an ongoing sadaqah, a knowledge (of Islam) from which others benefit, and a righteous child who makes du'a for him." [Muslim and others]

Abu Qatadah, rahimahullah, reported that Allah's Messenger, sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam, said, "The best that a man can leave behind after his death are three things: a righteous child who makes du'a for him, an ongoing sadaqah whose rewards continue to reach him, and a knowledge that continues to be implemented after him." [Ibn Majah, and others. Verified to be sahih by al-Mundhiri and al-Albani]

Abu Qatadah, rahimahullah, reported that Allah's Messenger, sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam, said, "Among the good deeds that continue to benefit a believer after death are: a knowledge that he taught and disseminated, a righteous child who lived after him, a Qur'an book that he left as inheritance a masjid that he built, a house that he built for the two wayfarers, a stream that he ran, or a charity that he gave from his wealth during his healthy lifetime so that it would reach him (in rewards) after death." [Ibn Majah and others. Verified hasan by al-Mundhiri and al-Albani).
http://sunnahonline.com/library/beli...nefit-the-dead

anisafatima
11-21-2013, 10:15 AM
It is commonly observed in the elders of Muslim generation that they do not trust younger generation even sometimes it is observed that they are hesitant to transfer the legacy they inherited from their elders that might give rise to confusion and conflict.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!