/* */

PDA

View Full Version : IB Story Writing Contest Discussion Thread 2013

Insaanah
11-30-2013, 08:19 PM
:salam: and greetings to all

Welcome to the sixth story writing contest on Islamicboard.

This thread will be the main hub for the general discussion about the Story Writing Contest. A separate thread will be created, after the deadline, to house this year's entries.

Here are some suggested rules for the contest, based on the rules we've had previously:

Stories can be about any topic, theme or genre, but must not conflict with forum rules.

Stories must be the entrant's own work and must be in English.

Each entrant may submit only one story.

Stories cannot have been posted already on this forum.

Stories cannot use existing characters e.g. your story cannot be about the adventures of Batman and Robin.

Stories can be any length, but no longer than 5,000 words - this is a limit not a target.

Do not post your story here or anywhere else on the forum (or anything to do with your story), as the contest is supposed to be anonymous. Not the genre, not the title and not even one sentence of it.

The deadline is tentatively 6th February 2014 - this is the last day on which entries shall be accepted. However, there is leeway to change this if necessary.

Stories should be submitted by Private Message to the Host - sister ~Zaria~. She will then create the thread for the entries, and post the entries there, once they've all been submitted and the deadline has passed. The host cannot participate in the contest, and cannot vote (as he/she will know who has written what).

Stories can be edited and formatted etc however the author chooses before submission, but the Host will not alter or reformat the story once it has been submitted

If you have any further suggestions, please share them.

The parameters are really wide. Read through some of the previous entries to see how wide those parameters are. We've had dramas, crime thrillers, horror, action-adventure, cute stories, and stories with morals etc.

To all: be sure to check out this thread (Writing Tips) http://www.islamicboard.com/creative...ting-tips.html and by all means feel free to read previous contests. Also feel free to ask any questions you have regarding the competition on this thread.

Take your time and make your entry the best it can be; really let your creativity loose.

I thank brothers Muezzin and aamirsaab for their contributions to the previous discussion thread, some of which I have adapted or copied in this post.

Let the writing begin!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Innocent Soul
12-01-2013, 02:23 AM
Can a member enter more than one story?

Insaanah
12-01-2013, 11:09 AM
:salam:

^ No. This is to keep it fair, so that everyone has an equal chance of winning. If one person writes two stories, and everyone else writes one story, this gives that person twice the chance of winning compared to everyone else.

If you have two stories, pick your best one to enter.:)

I've edited the opening post to add this to the rules.

~Zaria~
12-01-2013, 04:52 PM
I guess there is no poetry section this year..... :cry:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhammad
12-04-2013, 12:03 AM
:salamext:

Has anyone begun writing their entry?

greenhill
12-04-2013, 06:23 AM
I have sort of.... jumbled poetry.... I think

Insaanah
12-04-2013, 10:51 AM
^Remember though that this one's for stories. If there's enough interest, then :ia: we'll hold a separate poetry contest too, as brother Muhammad said.

Insaanah
12-06-2013, 08:11 PM
The deadline for the story writing contest has been extended by a month, to the 6th Feb :ia:

The first post has been edited to reflect that.

Insaanah
12-07-2013, 07:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
I guess there is no poetry section this year..... :cry:
A poetry contest is going ahead too :ia:

See this thread, which sister faithandpeace has posted (and is hosting), for the poetry contest: http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...y-contest.html

And :jz: for being the host for the story writing contest sister.

~Zaria~
12-08-2013, 07:32 PM
:salam: everyone,

Just a reminder for those who are interested in entering our upcoming writing contest, to make a start from now in shaa Allah.

February 6th 2014 is our proposed closing date - and it may feel that you have ample time ahead, but we all know how fast time passes us by, esp. if you have made plans for this holiday season.

So, dont procrastinate - and remember that the best results are most often achieved when we devote the required time and effort towards any endeavor.

Think about your story-line, characters, themes and the lessons you would like to be learnt from your story - this will give you time to revise, edit and let it evolve into your personal master-piece in shaa Allah :)

So, let those creative juices begin to flow!

Looking forward to inspiring and well-thought out narratives in shaa Allah : )

Please share your comments or questions here.

:jz:

aamirsaab
12-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Ohh I've got a story in mind actually. God willingly I'll get it done by the deadline.

Muhaba
12-09-2013, 02:55 PM
I have no short story in mind or anywhere else. I doubt i'll be entering.

~Zaria~
12-15-2013, 07:08 AM
:salam:

How is everyone's stories coming along? :)

If you are having any difficulties or if you have any questions, post them here (without directly revealing your story to us).

format_quote Originally Posted by Dreamin
I have no short story in mind or anywhere else. I doubt i'll be entering.

Theres still time sis.

I see you have changed your nic from 'Writer' to 'Dreamin' - dont worry.....you can still put those 'dreams' onto paper in shaa Allah :)
Sometimes the best stories originate in our day-dreams, and they can be 'brought to life', by expressing them in various forms, e.g. in writing : )

:wa:

Periwinkle18
12-15-2013, 07:16 AM
ahh another story writing contest :) won't be writing anything though this time :( best of luck everyone :)

~Zaria~
12-24-2013, 03:40 PM
:sl: everyone,

Just in case you have not heard the buzz around town - the IB Writing Contest is now open! :)

Deadline for entries being 6th February 2014 in shaa Allah.

So...where are all of our closet writers hiding? :)

Tell us how your stories are coming along.....remember its free-style - anything goes (within margins of course)

Looking forward to a wide variety of writing styles this year in shaa Allah : )

Muhammad
12-28-2013, 09:21 PM
:wasalamex

Looking forward to some great stories :ia:. Everyone must be very busy writing...

Muezzin
12-31-2013, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Everyone must be very busy writing...
Uhh...

~Zaria~
01-09-2014, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
:wasalamex

Looking forward to some great stories :ia:. Everyone must be very busy writing...

:wasalam:

^ Same here in shaa Allah.

What types of stories would our members like to see? :)

Wynter
01-22-2014, 11:22 AM
I guess I'll put my writing to use here :) Luck to all

Muhammad
01-22-2014, 12:28 PM
Around 2 weeks to go till the deadline :ia:. Get writing if you haven't already!

~Zaria~
01-22-2014, 04:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wynter
I guess I'll put my writing to use here :) Luck to all

MashaAllah....looking forward to reading everyone's stories!

JazakAllahu khair to those who have already submitted their entries.

Muhaba
01-22-2014, 05:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
What types of stories would our members like to see?
Many types.

Wynter
01-23-2014, 03:18 PM
So... I went to submit my story, but I need to be a full member, how can I achieve that? :)

Insaanah
01-23-2014, 03:44 PM
^ If you've written it, PM (Private message) it to me, and I'll forward on to the host. Same goes for any other limited members who wish to enter.

~Zaria~
01-23-2014, 03:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wynter
So... I went to submit my story, but I need to be a full member, how can I achieve that? :)
You will need 50 posts to reach full membership.

In the interim, you can submit your story to sister Insaanah in shaa Allah.

JazakAllahu khair

~Zaria~
01-28-2014, 07:13 PM
Just 9 days to go before our contest deadline!!

If you have not yet started, there's still time in shaa Allah.

Lets make this years writing contest the best yet, with the most variety of inspiring stories from all over the globe in shaa Allah.

Please PM your completed stories to me :)

:jz:

~Zaria~
02-02-2014, 02:57 PM
:bump1:

~Zaria~
02-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Assalamu-alaikum everyone,

I have only received one entry thus far : ( .....and we just have 4 days to go before our proposed deadline.

If you still intend to submit your story, but are not ready as yet, please let me know via PM.

I'll be really sad if the contest has to be post-poned/ cancelled imsad

Was really looking forward to everyone's stories and an exciting contest this year in shaa Allah.....

Come on' peeps!

Where are all of our writers?

Muhaba
02-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Don't worry. Some ppl send their entries in just before midnight on the last day. So in-sha-Allah there were will be a few entries, at least from the regulars. I believe they said they would enter.

Muhaba
02-06-2014, 10:08 AM
today is the last day to enter the contest. how's it going? how many entries? I suggest 500 neg reps for those who said they'd enter but didn't!

sister herb
02-06-2014, 10:25 AM
I urgently wait stories!

:statisfie

greenhill
02-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Guess we will soon find out . . . . . I would perhaps work on a story for next year In syaa Allah (emphasis on perhaps!) I tend to get all convoluted and lose the plot whenever I attempt to write a story. Just too matter of fact or over explanation. This forum has been good practice for me (in attempt to be concise and clear) But that's not the way you would want to write a story.:p

Hoping for a "go" on the contest (so that I may read (sorry, we all may read and vote)).

:peace:

Innocent Soul
02-06-2014, 01:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dreamin
I suggest 500 neg reps for those who said they'd enter but didn't!
I am with you sis!! :D

format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
I urgently wait stories!
Same here. :)

~Zaria~
02-06-2014, 07:22 PM
:sl:

JazakAllahu khair to the 3 entrants who have submitted their stories.

Please continue to PM your stories to me - in shaa Allah, we will be able to proceed with the contest if we have enough entrants.

If you require a short extension to the dead-line, do let us know.

In shaa Allah, we will be able to oblige :)

sister herb
02-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Salam alaykum

When stories are here?

:D

sister herb
02-08-2014, 09:42 AM
:bump1:

Stories?

greenhill
02-08-2014, 10:42 AM
:D . . . Patience sister herb, feeling 'spicy' huh? ha ha

The poetry is out.. :thumbs_up

:peace:

sister herb
02-08-2014, 01:08 PM
But but... I have waited those stories many months... :cry:

Wanna read them! :hiding:

~Zaria~
02-08-2014, 07:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Salam alaykum

When stories are here?

:D

:wasalam: sister

Sincere apologies for this delay.

I hope you enjoy reading the entries :)

BarakAllahu feekum

Insaanah
02-09-2014, 12:33 PM
:salam: and greetings to all.

^ :jz: sister.

This thread will shortly be closed. However please read all the below.

The stories have been posted here: http://www.islamicboard.com/creative...4-entries.html

The thread for discussion of the stories is here: http://www.islamicboard.com/creative...on-thread.html

Please note, that in the interests of fairness, and to make sure all participants are on a level playing field, any votes which authors cast for their own stories will not be counted when ascertaining the winner, as not all authors will deem it appropriate to vote for their own stories, and if some do, this gives them an advantage over others. Once the voting is closed, an admin will check to see if any self votes have been made, while not generally looking at who voted for which story.

So get voting and commenting, and thank you to those who have participated and sister ~Zaria~ for hosting, as without you this would not have been able to go ahead.

~Zaria~
02-09-2014, 02:27 PM
:jz: sister Insaanah.

All thanks belong to Allah and to our contestants for their participation.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!