/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Abdullah101
12-01-2013, 12:44 AM
Good day, my name is Chris and I've decided to post a bit of an auto-biography so all of you can learn more about me. I've mentioned my upbringings and such in random posts when I first came to the boards, but I think it's time for a formal post.
I come from a very strict and traditional Pentecostal (Christian) household, in-fact every single person of my family is strongly dedicated to the Church except me. I never felt a connection to God while in a Church, unlike my parents and the rest of my family. Christianity never felt "right" to me, quite honestly. Before I met Mustafa (a friend of mine, who's family originates from Yemen) I knew absolutely NOTHING about Islam. Sure, maybe I heard the word "Islam" once or twice, but I had no idea what it meant. So therefore, I've been religion-less my entire life as I have always (even as a very young child) refused to adhere to Christianity. But once I finally found Islam, I knew it was the truth. Now, I'm becoming more and more interested every day (and I will indeed convert within a month or two), and I know it's the right decision to make. It feels right to me, Islam, unlike Christianity. I feel peace with Islam, and I feel happiness. It was an annoyance to even read the Bible, but not with the Quran. I have 2 Qurans at my house now, and I study those Qurans every day, devoting most of my free time to God. Some people may find it boring to read the Quran, but I love it. I love learning more, becoming wiser, and becoming closer to God. Insha'Allah I will become a wise man, and spread the word of God. It's all I want to do. I often am troubled because I know my family will go to hell (They will NOT convert to Islam), but I stay steadfast in study, and I stay faithful to God. My family just realized, and HATES the fact that I want to become a Muslim. They all shun me, and I have no support besides Mustafa, but I stay faithful.

2:170: When it is said to them: "Follow what Allah has sent down." They say: "Nay! We shall follow what we found our fathers following." Even though their fathers did not understand anything nor were they guided?

Well, I guess that's my story,
Thank's for reading.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aprender
12-01-2013, 01:45 AM
Welcome to the forum brother Adbullah.

We have a similar background. I came from a Christian upbringing, some family is Pentecostal, others Baptist, but also had a major issue with the teachings of the church. They never felt right to me either. I was exposed to Islam a little bit in school but much of what I learned about Islam was very incorrect. It wasn't until I got into college when I began to try and reconnect with Christianity that I got deeper into learning about Islam and loved it. I too enjoyed reading my translations of the Quran. I have three copies now. Two Yusuf Ali translations, one with commentary, and another more modern English translation by Abdel Haleem.

It fascinates me to learn about the religion so much and also makes me sad that I didn't know anything about it for all that time! But alhamdulillah that Islam is here. I've got a small library going now with books about Muslim history in the U.S., Islamic architecture and in-depth biography about the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).

I think that's the hardest thing about becoming a Muslim when your family is not. It hurts the heart that they won't embrace the religion because of old family customs or just being stubborn. I lose sleep over it on some nights but I don't want to give up making dua that my family will be guided too. It would be nice to stop spending Eid alone every year.

Welcome to the forum.

Abdullah101
12-01-2013, 02:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
I think that's the hardest thing about becoming a Muslim when your family is not. It hurts the heart that they won't embrace the religion because of old family customs or just being stubborn. I lose sleep over it on some nights but I don't want to give up making dua that my family will be guided too. It would be nice to stop spending Eid alone every year.
Indeed. My family is a mix of the both, I think my father realizes that Islam is right (because I've explained a bit) but he refuses to listen to Islamic talk any more. He is stuck in his stubborn ways, may Allah have mercy on his soul ;/.

format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
It fascinates me to learn about the religion so much and also makes me sad that I didn't know anything about it for all that time! But alhamdulillah that Islam is here. I've got a small library going now with books about Muslim history in the U.S., Islamic architecture and in-depth biography about the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).
I have two Qurans, but that's it. I have some Hadith books on my phone, but I plan on buying more books through Amazon. Amazon is on the roll right now, to be honest. My mother actually works as a packager at a Amazon processing plant, and she has to do mandatory overtime because it's December. I ordered something with free shipping, and it'll be here tomorrow even though the initial estimation was December 11. Amazing!

Muslim Woman
12-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Hello

may Allah makes it easy for u to accept Islam.

Welcome here

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
12-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Nice read!

May all your journeys become more and more fulfilling and rewarding.

Peace :shade:

~Zaria~
12-01-2013, 03:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah101
Good day, my name is Chris and I've decided to post a bit of an auto-biography so all of you can learn more about me. I've mentioned my upbringings and such in random posts when I first came to the boards, but I think it's time for a formal post.
I come from a very strict and traditional Pentecostal (Christian) household, in-fact every single person of my family is strongly dedicated to the Church except me. I never felt a connection to God while in a Church, unlike my parents and the rest of my family. Christianity never felt "right" to me, quite honestly. Before I met Mustafa (a friend of mine, who's family originates from Yemen) I knew absolutely NOTHING about Islam. Sure, maybe I heard the word "Islam" once or twice, but I had no idea what it meant. So therefore, I've been religion-less my entire life as I have always (even as a very young child) refused to adhere to Christianity. But once I finally found Islam, I knew it was the truth. Now, I'm becoming more and more interested every day (and I will indeed convert within a month or two), and I know it's the right decision to make. It feels right to me, Islam, unlike Christianity. I feel peace with Islam, and I feel happiness. It was an annoyance to even read the Bible, but not with the Quran. I have 2 Qurans at my house now, and I study those Qurans every day, devoting most of my free time to God. Some people may find it boring to read the Quran, but I love it. I love learning more, becoming wiser, and becoming closer to God. Insha'Allah I will become a wise man, and spread the word of God. It's all I want to do. I often am troubled because I know my family will go to hell (They will NOT convert to Islam), but I stay steadfast in study, and I stay faithful to God. My family just realized, and HATES the fact that I want to become a Muslim. They all shun me, and I have no support besides Mustafa, but I stay faithful.

2:170: When it is said to them: "Follow what Allah has sent down." They say: "Nay! We shall follow what we found our fathers following." Even though their fathers did not understand anything nor were they guided?

Well, I guess that's my story,
Thank's for reading.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

All praises belong to Allah, for placing just the right circumstances in your life to learn about Islam, and for guiding your heart away from falsehood and towards the truth.
This alone is an immense blessing upon you, and I pray that you hold fast upon this gift of Islam.

It may appear that your family has absolutely no interest in islam, and there is no hope for them finding imaan - but, do remember that this is only their current state of being.
So long as Allah is affording them life, then there is always a chance for a persons heart to revolve 180' - from a point of being in absolute despair of Allah's mercy, towards being one of His most steadfast servants.

A reminder for us in this regard is the story of Umar bin Khattaab (ra) - once a sworn enemy of the prophet of Allah (sallalahu alaihi wasalam), and who intended to take his life.......became one of the greatest companions to the prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasalam), and defenders of Islam, and today lies alongside the blessed resting place of our Nabi.
^ If Allah could turn his heart towards Him.....then truly, He can do the same for others, and when we least expect it.

So, have hope in the mercy of Allah, and dont give up on making duaa for your loved ones, as well as for all those who have not as yet found Islam.

May Allah make your journey towards Islam most easy. Ameen.

Please dont hesitate to ask of us, if you have any queries - in shaa Allah, we can assist you as far as possible.

God bless.

Abdullah101
12-02-2013, 01:47 AM
That's very true, Zaria. I will keep my family in my prayers, indeed, anything is possible with God.
'm a prime example of a hardy German, I won't lose my faith just because of some hardships.
insha'allah it will work out.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!