/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Female Warriors/Combat Heroines?

Prayer4life
12-13-2013, 03:03 AM
Are there any authentic stories or examples of muslim females having taken part in battles during wartime and or saving people from the enemy in the Quran or hadiths etc... in ancient times?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snow
01-20-2015, 08:55 PM
I could be wrong but I think the women were allowed to participate but not in direct battle.
They were more in the role of helping the wounded, getting the fighters food and so on.

فصيح الياسين
01-21-2015, 12:30 AM
Wives of our prophet mohammad took part as to bandage the wounded and hazrat aqlama bin abe jahal's wife i forgot her name. And also one relative of our prophet mohammad :arabic5: took part in it anf like this many more

Signor
01-22-2015, 07:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Prayer4life
Are there any authentic stories or examples of muslim females having taken part in battles during wartime and or saving people from the enemy in the Quran or hadiths etc... in ancient times?
Yes,Saffiyah binte 'Abd al-Muṭṭalib ,the Prophet's(SAWWS) paternal aunt,took part in battles.Thought,it wasn't a norm at that time for Muslim women.

During the Battle of the Trench
The Messenger of Allah (may the Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) put women and children in fortresses for protection against the confederates and the Jews of Banu Qurayzah. Safiyah was in a fortress, known as Fari’ under the supervision of Hassan ibn Thabit. Hassan was assigned to look after the women and he did not go out to fight.

Safiyah said:
“When the Messenger of Allah (may the Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) went out to the Battle of the Trench, he put the women of his household in a fortress called Fari’ and assigned Hassan ibn Thabit to look after us. A Jewish man then came and climbed the fortress until he was able to see us. I asked Hassan to rise up and kill him but he said that if he could do so, he would have been with the Prophet (peace be upon him) and would not have been assigned to look after the women. I then rose up and killed him and cut his head off. I then asked Hassan to drag the head of the invader to the Jews who were at the bottom side of the fortress. He swore by Allah that he would not do so. So I took the head and threw it at them. The Jews then said, ‘We know that this man [meaning the Prophet (peace be upon him)] would not leave behind his family without someone to look after them.' So they dispersed….”
Yoonus ibn Bukhayr said,
“She was the first Muslim woman to kill a polytheist.”
The Battle of Uhud
On the day of Uhud, she had more than one remarkable input. When people felt defeated she moved forward, and when people retreated she advanced!
Hammad narrated on the authority of Hisham that ‘Urwah said:
“Safiyah came on the day of (the battle of) Uhud while the Muslims were vanquished holding a spear in her hand and striking the faces of the polytheists with it. When the Messenger of Allah [sallallahu a’lyhi wa sallam] saw her, he called her son to take hold of her lest she be harmed, for she was his [i.e. the Prophet’s] aunt.”

Rest lies here

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MuslimInshallah
01-24-2015, 11:42 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

I found the following women mentioned in the following references:

1) Nusaybah bint Kaab (also known as Umm Amarah). She helped save the Prophet's life (PBUH) at the Battle of Uhud. Ref: http://www.amazon.ca/Muhammad-Martin...muhammad+lings

I have read in another source (I cannot recall where right now) that she participated in other battles after this, and would receive the share of the spoils of war like the men.

2) Many Muslim women led by Hind, the wife of Abu Sufyan, during the Battle of Yarmuk. This battle lasted several days, and during this time, it happened at one point that some men tried to run away. The women not only mocked and jeered them, but also threatened them with tent-poles (as I recall; I don't have the book in front of me, I'm afraid), till the men returned to the battle lines. Near the end of the fighting, there were so few men, that the women came forward and filled the lines and actively fought until the Muslims won the battle. Ref: http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...eywords=yarmuk

3) In the same reference as 2), I recall reading of a young widow who went into battle. I'm afraid you'll have to obtain the book for more details.

4) Aishah bint Abu Bakr led an army in the Battle of the Camel, but did not participate in active fighting, to the best of my knowledge.

May Allah, the Irresistible, Bless all the women who have tried their best to live their Islam in the service of their Lord.

AhmedGassama
11-13-2015, 12:10 AM
Well, women participated in jihad directly, i'm pretty sure about that.

Even at the age of the Hamdanids.

AhmedGassama
11-13-2015, 12:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
4) Aishah bint Abu Bakr led an army in the Battle of the Camel, but did not participate in active fighting, to the best of my knowledge.
Well, the battle of the Camel is not something that we are proud of because it's a war which opposed two muslim armies

BlueOwl358
11-13-2015, 10:53 AM
There is also a hadith predicting the first naval expedition of Islam, and its partaking in by the wet nurse of the Holy Prophet (pbuh), Um Haram. Although this event did not happen in the Prophet's lifetime, it still serves as a great event in early Islamic history.

Narrated Khalid bin Madan:

That 'Umair bin Al-Aswad Al-Anasi told him that he went to 'Ubada bin As-Samit while he was staying in his house at the seashore of Hims with (his wife) Um Haram. 'Umair said. Um Haram informed us that she heard the Prophet (ﷺ) saying, "Paradise is granted to the first batch of my followers who will undertake a naval expedition." Um Haram added, I said, 'O Allah's Messenger (ﷺ)! Will I be amongst them?' He replied, 'You are amongst them.' The Prophet (ﷺ) then said, 'The first army amongst' my followers who will invade Caesar's City will be forgiven their sins.' I asked, 'Will I be one of them, O Allah's Messenger (ﷺ)?' He replied in the negative." (Sahih al-Bukhari 2924)

She was present in the Islamic conquest of Cyprus, where she died. Her tomb is still there.

MuslimInshallah
11-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

(smile) There is also the famous Khawlah Bint Al-Azwar. Here is an excerpt from a translation of Al-Waqidi's The Islamic Conquest of Syria.

... (Khalid &) suddenly saw a tall, short-necked fawn horse
upon which sat a rider carrying a glittering spear. The rider's behaviour and
appearance projected a kind of wisdom and the riding-style showed bravery. The
warrior held the bridle loosely but sat firmly in the saddle and wore armour covered
in black cloth. A green girdle tied at the waist was spread over both his chest and
back. Thus this rider rode ahead of the army like a blazing flame.

Khalid & said, "I wonder who this horseman is. By Allah! He appears to be quite
daring and brave."

He continued behind the stranger heading towards the Christian camp. Rafi' bin
'Umayrah was steadfastly holding out against the Romans when he saw Khalid's &
reinforcements. The mysterious warrior pounced on the enemy like a mighty hawk
on a tiny sparrow in an attack that wreaked havoc in the Roman lines and by
perpetrating a massacre penetrated to their very centre. It was like lightning striking
the heads of two or four youths, then burning to ashes another five or seven and then
flashing yet again. Reaching the centre, the warrior displayed clear signs of
frustration and anxiety and then began attacking again, ripping the Christian lines
apart and advancing until the Muslims lost sight of this champion who all the while
was growing ever more anxious.

Rafi' bin 'Umayrah and his men thought that that could only be Khalid &. Rafi' then
saw him with his men so he called out, "O brave one, who is this horseman who risks
his life in Allah's Path and slays the enemy without hesitation?"

Khalid 4* : By Allah! I do not know. I am myself astonished at his daring and
bravery.

Rafi ' : What an amazing man who penetrates the Roman ranks and kills them left,
right and centre.

Khalid 4» : O Muslims, rise for the defence of Islam and attack together.

The Muslims straightened their bridles, readied their spears and advanced in battle-
formation with Khalid 4* in front. They were about to attack when they saw the
stranger flashing at the heart of the Roman army soaked in blood and mounted on a
horse drowning in perspiration. Despite trying to turn away from the approaching
Romans, the Mujahid was still single-handedly facing several Romans at the same
time. Khalid 4* and his men attacked them until they managed to bring the stranger
to the Muslim ranks.

The Muslims gazed at the visible top part of the stranger's face and found it to be like
a crimson rose-petal dipped in blood. Khalid & said, "You have offered your life in
the Path of Allah and vented your anger upon the enemies - may Allah reward you
well. Now remove your mouth-cover so that we can see who you are."

The mysterious warrior ignored him and went into the crowd. The crowd grabbed
him and said, "O slave of Allah, the commander of the Islamic armies speaks to you
and you dare to ignore him. Go to him and tell him your name and lineage so that he
can promote you."

They too received no reply, so Khalid * personally went and said, "How very sad
that I and in fact all the Muslims wish to know about you but you could not care.
Who are you?"

He repeatedly insisted until eventually a feminine voice replied, "O commander, I
have not avoided you out of disobedience, but out of modesty for I am of those who
seclude themselves behind the veil. My sorrow and broken heart forced me here."

Khalid & : Who are you?

Stranger : The captive Dirar's sister, Khawlah bint al-Azwar. I was sitting with the
women of the Mathhij tribe when I heard of Dirar's capture. So I immediately
mounted and came here. The rest you already know.

Hearing this, Khalid's 4fe heart was struck with wonder and tears welled out
profusely.

Khalid 4z '■ We will attack together. I have firm conviction that Allah will let us reach
your brother and free him.

Khawlah : If Allah wills then I shall be in the front line.

https://archive.org/stream/TheIslamicConquestOfSyria/Futuhusham_-_The_Islamic_Conquest_of_Syria_-_Al_Waqidi_djvu.txt
(pages 77-78)

MuslimInshallah
11-13-2015, 02:03 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

Khawlah Bint Al-Azwar was captured at one time. She then rallied some of the other captive women who had extensive previous battle experience and, using only tent pegs, successfully fought the captors until the rest of the Muslim army arrived.

Peter gathered the Muslim women at the river. He regarded Khawlah bint al-Azwar
as the most beautiful and said to his men, "She is mine and I am hers. None of you
should object." They accepted and so each one started choosing a woman and
saying, "She is mine." They gathered the sheep and loot and awaited Paulus. The
women were detained in a tent. Most of them were aged women from the tribes of
Himyar, 'Amaliqah and Tubba, who were used to riding at night and fighting 'Arab
tribesmen. Khawlah addressed them, "O daughters of Himyar! O valuable ones of

Tubba'! Does it please you to be overcome by Roman Disbelievers and be their
slave-girls? What has happened to that bravery which was the talk of the slave-girls
of Arabs and gatherings of 'Arabs? How sad that I now see you bereft of all bravery
and honour. I consider death better than the humiliation of serving Romans."

'Afirah bint 'Affdr al-Himyariyah : Whatever you have mentioned, O daughter of
Azwar, about our bravery, intelligence and rank is quite true. It is also true that we
are accustomed to horse-riding and putting the enemy to difficulty at night. However,
what can we do when we have neither horse, nor spear, nor sword, nor any other
weapon? You know very well that they came suddenly and caught us like lost sheep
when we had no weapons.

Khawlah : O daughters of Tubba', your negligence is no excuse. We can uproot the
pegs and pillars of the tent and attack the wretches therewith. Perhaps Allah will
grant us victory, or else at least we will attain martyrdom. In this way we will wipe
the mark of disgrace from our foreheads.

'Afirah : By Allah! What a wonderful and appropriate suggestion.

So each women uprooted a peg. Khawlah bound her waist and, putting a peg on her
shoulder, went ahead followed by 'Afirah, Umm Aban bint 'Utbah, Salamah bint
Nu'man bin Muqirr and the others all shouting, "Is there any challenger?"

Khawlah began instructing this female army on battle formation, "Be like the links
of a chain, never separate. May Allah forbid that you separate, for then spears will
pierce your breasts, swords will cut your necks, your skulls will be cut off and heaped
here. She went and hit her peg so hard on a Roman's head that he dropped down
dead. The Romans were thrown into confusion and started asking each other, "What
is happening?", when suddenly they saw peg-carrying women advancing upon them.
Peter shrieked at them, "What are you doing, you wretches?"

'Afirah replied, "We have decided that today we willl rectify your brains with these
tent-pegs and shorten your life-spans, thus removing a spot of disgrace from our
ancestors' faces."

Peter laughed and said to his people, "Shame on you. Go, spread out and catch them
alive, but whoever catches Khawlah should not get any ideas."

The Romans encircled them, but as soon as anyone came near, the women would
break his horse's legs with the pegs and when he thus fell down, would smash up his
face. In this way, thirty Romans were killed and none neared them. Peter became
infuriated and followed by his companions, dismounted. They walked to the women
shaking their fists and swords. The women hurried towards each other and said,
"Death with honour is better than life with disgrace."

Peter expended great effort in fighting the women but achieved nothing except
frustration. He saw Khawlah like a fierce lion reciting the following poem:

Himyar s and Tubba 's daughters are we

For us to kill you is quite easy.

For we are the flames of war

We have for you great trouble in store.

Peter listened to her. Her beauty enticed him. He said, "O my 'Arab woman, stop this
now. I value you and will tell you my heart's secret which is sure to please you - will
it not please you that I be your master considering the fact that I am the object of
desire of every Christian woman. In addition, I have farms, orchards, wealth and
cattle and hold a prestigious position with Heraclius. All this will be yours if only you
stop destroying yourself with your own hands." Khawlah retorted, "You wretched
unbelieving son of an unchaste adulterer! By Allah! I will take this peg and gouge
your brains out. You are not even worthy of herding my camels and sheep let alone
claim to be my equal." Peter became enraged and said to the Christians, "What
greater shame can there be in all Syria and 'Arabia if a group of women manage to
overcome you. Fear Jesus Christ and Caesar Heraclius and kill them all."

The Christians became excited and attacked. The Muslim women patiently faced the
attack until they saw KMlid's &■ men kicking up dust, their swords glittering therein.
Khalid * stopped at a distance and said to his men, "Who will go and gather
information for me?"

Raff bin 'Umayrah volunteered and went and returned to report on the women
defending themselves.

Khalid '& : It is amazing! These are the women of the tribes of 'Amaliqah and Tubba.
Some are of Tubba' bin Aqran, some of Tubba' bin Abi Karb, some of Thu Ra'in,
some of 'Abdul Kala'al-Mu'azhzham and some of Tubba' bin Hassan bin Tubba'.
Tubba' bin Hassan bin Tubba' was the man who bore witness to Muhammad S being
a Prophet before he was born. He said in his poem:

That Ahmad is Allah s Messenger is my testification

His Ummah is named in the Psalms as Best Nation.

If I live until his time serve him I will

And be minister to the son of his uncle.

O Rati', these women are known for their fighting. If they are really displaying such
feats of bravery which you describe, then they will permanently put their stamp on
ihe 'Arabs and will remove the brand of weakness from the foreheads of females.

The Muslims' faces brightened with joy at Rafi"s report on the women's bravery and
Krar 4Sb leapt with joy. He threw off the old shawl he was wearing and grabbed his
spear, intending to be the first to reach them, but Khalid 4» called out, "Wait a while
Dirar, do not be hasty. He who does a job with patience completes it, while he who
hastens hardly achieves more than intentions."

Dirar *fc> : O commander, how can I be patient in helping my sister?

Khalid 4^ : If Allah wills, help and victory is at hand.

He then lined up the horses, raised the flag and going to the centre, said, "O Muslims!
When you approach the enemy spread out and surround them. Have trust in Allah
that He will free our women and have mercy on our children."

They cheerfully answered him and so he rode at their head.

The Christians were preoccupied with the women when the army arrived with flags
fluttering. Khawlah called out, "O daughters of Tubba', Allah has shown mercy to
you and has gladdened your hearts."

When Peter saw the Islamic army arriving with all its splendour, with their spears all
aligned and swords flashing, his heart trembled and his shoulders shook. The men
were alarmed and looked at each other. Peter said to the women, "Since we also have
daughters-in-law, daughters, mothers, sisters and aunts, my heart has been filled with
love and pity for you. For the sake of the Cross I free you. When your men arrive you
can tell them this."

He grabbed his horse's bridle intending to flee but before the horse could start
galloping, he saw two riders coming from the Muslims towards him. One was
wearing armour while the other was bare-chested, riding an 'Arab horse bare-back
and carrying a spear. The first was Khalid 4fe, the second Dirar •&.

When Khawlah saw her brother, she shouted, "Where were you all this time, my
brother? Allah has made us independant of your help."

https://archive.org/stream/TheIslami...aqidi_djvu.txt ( pages 88-92)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!