/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating the New Year

jameelash
01-01-2014, 07:40 AM
Reminder to all Muslims ...

Celebrating New Year???

January is named after Janus,*the Roman god of doors and gateways. He was commonly depicted in statues, carvings and paintings as a two headed man with one head facing forward and the other head facing backwards.In 46BC

Julius Caesar chose January 1st as the first day of the New Year as Janus symbolically represented the door to the New Year. Wild parties and orgies were held on the night before the New Year’s Day as a re-enactment of the chaos which Roman mythology depicted as preceding the cosmos or the ordered world whose organization was set by the gods.

Furthermore, by that time, Janus had become, in practice, the highest god receiving the ritual sacrifices of Roman worshippers before the other gods, including the chief god, Jupiter.

Thus, in its essence the celebrations of the New Year on January 1st and New Year’s Eve, the night before, are a part and parcel of pagan religious rituals based on idolatrous beliefs in false gods.

Consequently, it is completely Haraam (SINFUL AND FORBIDDEN) for Muslims to participate in or adopt any of its related rituals, customs and symbols.

If a non-Muslim greets a Muslim, “Happy New Year”,
the Muslim is not allowed to respond in a similar manner or say,

“Same to you.” Instead, in order not to offend or hurt the feelings of non-Muslim friends or acquaintances, one may say instead, “Happy holiday.”

As for celebrating the New Year according to the Islamic calendar which begins with the month of Muharram, this is also not permissible from a number of perspectives.

First and foremost, if one does so believing that it is pleasing to ALLAH to do so, thereby transforming it into an act of worship, it becomes "*Bid‘ahor (CURSED INNOVATIOIN) the religion about which the Prophet (pbuh) said,

“Every innovation in religion is misguidance and all misguidance leads to the Hellfire.”

If one does so merely as a custom, it is still impermissible as it falls under the prohibition of imitation of pagan customs about which the

Prophet (pbuh) said,
*“Whoever imitates a people becomes one of them.”

Pope Gregory 13th who set the modern calendar, the Gregorian calendar, also officially fixed the first day of the year for Christian Europe as January 1st in 1582

By:
Dr.*Bilal Philips
[Reminder]
“And He gave you of all that you asked for, and if you count the Blessings of Allah, never will you be able to count them.”
“And whatever of blessings and good things you have, it is from Allah."
"If you give thanks, I will give you more (of My Blessings)"
"Therefore remember Me. I will remember you, and be grateful to Me and never be ungrateful to Me."

So, we ask You O Allah to help us to remember, thank, and worship You perfectly. Ameen!$

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
01-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the reminder.

Don't believe that most muslims incorporate any significance to the new year celebrations though. Just an excuse to dot dot dot....

Peace :shade:

crimsontide06
01-01-2014, 02:05 PM
It's just a calendar year....it helps keep up with time, let's not go extreme..

muslimah bird
01-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Very well said , sis Jameelash

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!