/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The person in debt

BeTheChange
01-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Asalamualykum everyone :-)

Here is the situation.

Individual A and Individual B.

Individual B was in need of some financial support so Individual A helped individual B financially and gave X amount of money.

Several months go by and the situation of Individual B does not change and therefore is not in a position to give the money back.

Now Individual A does not mind. Individual A forgives Individual B and informs them you are forgiven. There is no debt between us. You do not need to return the money back.

Individual A sincerely forgives Individual B and there is no hard feelings about the situation.

What is the islamic stance (please provide islamic quotes/sunnah and references to support your answer Insha Allah.) of this situation. Does Individual B need to return back every penny? Is this debt cleared or does this individual carry this burden until the day of judgement?

When we die the this is the first thing the imaam informs family members of the deceased (to pay back his debts to those he/she has borrowed from) so it must be really important to give money back to people.

But what is the situation if the giver forgives the borrower?

Jazahka Allah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
01-01-2014, 03:45 PM
:sl:

Fatwa No : 124262
Virtue of cancelling the debt of an insolvent person
Fatwa Date : Jumaadaa Al-Oula 21, 1434 / 2-4-2013

Question

I gave a man a sum of money as a debt but afterwards I decided to make it a charity for the Sake of Allaah. Is this considered charity?

Answer

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad

, is His slave and messenger.
If this debtor is insolvent, then there is no doubt that relieving him of paying off his debt is one of the best forms of charity. Allaah The Almighty Says (what means): {And if someone is in hardship, then [let there be] postponement until [a time of] ease. But if you give [from your right as] charity, then it is better for you, if you only knew.}[Quran 2:280]

Allaah The Almighty Describes the acquittal of one who goes through difficulty and relieving him from debt as charity. Ibn Katheer

said in his Tafseer: "It is recommended to cancel the debt of the debtor and Allaah Promises the one who does this much good and great reward as He Says (what means) {But if you give [from your right as] charity, then it is better for you, if you only knew}. 'But if you give charity' means: but if you leave your capital completely and relieve the debtor of paying it back (then it is better for you).

There are also many Hadeeths of the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi was sallam to this effect…" He then gave a lengthy account of the Hadeeths that highlight the virtue of giving respite to an insolvent debtor. It is narrated on the authority of Abu Umaamah

that the Prophet

, said: "Whoever would be pleased that Allaah Would Shelter him under His Shade on the Day when there will be no shade except His, let him alleviate the debt of an insolvent person or grant him remission." [At-Tabaraani]

It is narrated that Abu Qataadah

was owed a debt by a man and, whenever he went to ask him for payment, he used to hide from him. One day, Abu Qataadah

came looking for the debtor and a young boy came out.

He asked him about the debtor and the boy told him that he was in the house eating Khazeerah (i.e. a kind of food made from meat and flour). Abu Qataadah

said in a loud voice, "O so and so! Come out, for I was told that you are in the house!'' The man came out and he asked him, "Why are you hiding from me?''

The man said, "I am going through financial difficulty and I do not have any money.'' Abu Qataadah

said, "By Allaah, are you truly facing a hard time?'' He said, "Yes.'' Abu Qataadah

then cried saying, "I heard the Messenger of Allaah

, say: "Whoever gives respite to his debtor or forgives the debt will be in the shade of the Throne (of Allaah) on the Day of Judgment.'' [Muslim]
It is also narrated on the authority of Abu Hurayrah

that the Messenger of Allaah

, said, "There was a merchant who used to lend the people and, whenever his debtor was in straitened circumstances, he would say to his employees, 'Forgive him so that Allaah may Forgive us.' So, Allaah Forgave him." [Al-Bukhaari]

However, if this debtor is well off, then your remittal of the debt is considered a gift and not a charity.

Allaah Knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...waId&Id=124262

BeTheChange
01-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Walaikumasalaam

Your a star sister. You've done me a great favour. :statisfie

Jazahka Allah.

May Allah swa grant you jannah Ameen.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!