Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
jameelash
01-08-2014, 07:02 AM
Salan
No reply.i was waiting for an answer.its ok

Muslim Woman
01-08-2014, 08:29 AM
:wa:

I am also waiting for a reply before share it with others.

I just found it on Zakir's fanbook fb page . Who has fb account , may log in there and ask the OP about it .

https://www.facebook.com/drzakirnaikfanclub

Ahmad H
01-08-2014, 11:33 PM
I can see his point. If we want to refer to a word which is an Arabic word, we should pronounce it carefully. Although, the possibility of someone misunderstanding these words, who speaks English and not Arabic, are very unlikely. Anyone who has knowledge of Arabic, even basic, can see the point of this though. He is trying to say that we should be careful not to imply the wrong meanings of the words which are sanctified. Keep them sanctified as they should be.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
wizra
01-09-2014, 05:17 AM
He also has a problem with people who write "inshAllah". He thinks the word "insh" can be understood as the command from the verb ن ش ء - which means to grow/start/begin. So when you say inshAllah, you're basically saying "start Allah". He reckons you're meant to type "in shaa Allah" as three words, since it's three words in Arabic as well.

Although I think he is over-thinking it & could channel his energy for dawah efforts into something slightly more substantial. I don't think I've ever said inshAllah to someone online, and they said "wait... WHAT?!?!? START ALLAH?". In my opinion, he should start dawah training seminars, so people with easier-to-understand accents can relay his techniques & knowledge.

EDIT: I Google'd "house wine mecca dog mouth" as keywords to bring up some results & found this thread from this forum:
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ds-advice.html

Muhammad
01-09-2014, 09:44 AM
:wasalamex

Here is some information I found, and Allaah :swt: knows best:

format_quote Originally Posted by jameelash
1. Don't write GOD
Please Write always
"Allah"
Because there is no
description of GOD in the
HOLY QURAN.

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad

is His slave and Messenger.

The Name "Allaah" can be translated as 'God' for new Muslims who do not know Arabic language, just as we translate for them the meanings of the Quran and Ahadeeth in order to teach them the religion of Islam.

As for translating the name "Allaah" with 'God' while translating the meaning of the Quran or Hadeeth or books of Islamic knowledge, we do not think that this is permissible. Rather, it is an obligation to leave the name of Allaah in its original form as it is pronounced "Allaah". This is because, the name Allaah is the proper name of our Lord, Allaah. Besides, the Name Allaah demonstrates all His other Beautiful Names. Allaah Says (what means): {And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allaah, so call on Him by them, and leave the company of those who belie or deny (or utter impious speech against) His Names. They will be requited for what they used to do.}[Quran 7:180].

Moreover, the Prophet

said: "Indeed, Allaah has ninety-nine names, one hundred less one; and he who memorizes them all by heart (and acts upon their implications) will enter Paradise." [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]

The name "Allaah" is different from the word "God" which only means a deity and does not in any way indicate deeming Allaah far from being likened to false deities that are worshipped besides Him. The proper meaning of Laa Ilaaha Illa Allaah, is: "There is no deity worthy of being worshipped except Allaah".

Allaah Knows best.

2. Don't say "Mosque"
Always say "Masjid"
Because
Islamic Organization
has found that Mosque
means, Mosquitoes.
This etymology is incorrect.

The Spanish word for "mosquito" is mosquito and literally means “little fly”. This is a case where the English language borrowed the word directly from the Spanish.

The word for “fly” in Spanish is mosca, which is derived from the Latin musca. The diminutive suffix “-ito” is attached to it to form the word mosquito or “little fly”.

The Spanish term for “mosque” is mezquita, derived from the old Spanish mesquita. This word was most certainly derived from the Arabic word masjid, which many Arabs then and now pronounce as masgid.

In Spain during the era of Muslim rule – and this was before the time of King Ferdinand – Spanish speakers were using the word mosquito for the insect and the word mesquita for the Muslim place of worship. The two words are not related to one another in any way.

The word “mosque” was introduced into the English language in the late 14th or early 15th century from the French. It comes from the French word mosquée from the old French word mousquaie. The French, in turn, derived the word from the Italian word moschea from moscheta. The Italians got it either directly from the Arabic word masjid or from the old Spanish mesquita.

Reference:

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition; © 2000 Houghton Mifflin Company.

http://en.islamtoday.net/node/1560

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad

is His slave and Messenger.

The word ‘mosque’ which you mentioned in the question means Masjid, as far as we know, and it does not mean mosquito. Therefore, it is permissible to call the Masjid by this word [mosque] when speaking or writing in English. The fact that this word [mosque] resembles the word mosquito does not mean that it is derived from it. Also, it is not possible to forbid its use just because of the claim that it is the Jews who used it, and the like. However, if its use is wide-spread among the Christians for the purpose of mocking, then it becomes impermissible to use it.

Indeed, Allaah forbade the believers from saying “Ra’ina”. The word, “Ra’ina” in Arabic literally means “consider us,” i.e. give us time to hear you and listen to us. The Jews used to use the same word with the meaning of an insult in their language (Hebrew). Therefore, the believers were ordered to avoid this expression and use instead the word “Unthurna” i.e. “wait for us [so that we may understand].” Allaah Says (what means): {O you who have believed, say not [to Allaah’s Messenger], “Ra‘ina” but say, “Unthurna” and listen.}[Quran 2:104]

Allaah Knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...cles&id=174965

format_quote Originally Posted by wizra
He also has a problem with people who write "inshAllah". He thinks the word "insh" can be understood as the command from the verb ن ش ء - which means to grow/start/begin. So when you say inshAllah, you're basically saying "start Allah". He reckons you're meant to type "in shaa Allah" as three words, since it's three words in Arabic as well.
Please see this thread :ia: :
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...confusion.html

Muhaba
01-09-2014, 07:35 PM
I agree with some things but not with others. One should use masjid and not mosque at least because the actual term is masjid if not for the similarity between mosquito and mosque. But if you're talking to an Englishperson in an English speaking country (or Spaniard) then you might have to explain what you mean and use the English / Spanish term.

One should also use Makkah because that is the actual name of the city and it is pronounced that way too, although some Arabic dialects probably pronounce it more like Mecca. I'm unsure if Mecca means anything else.

As for the word Mohd, I use it as an abbreviation when jotting down the name of a person who's name is Mohammad (not for Prophet Muhammad) because the paper might end up in trash and it's not right to throw the name Mohammad / Muhammad in the trash or on the floor. But I do not agree with spelling the name as Mohammed. As for the word mohd, I am unaware whether there is any wrong meaning of it. I believe it means monotheist.

I don't have much of a problem with the word God when conversing with nonmuslims although one should use Allah when talking to Muslims. The reason is that God is the translation of the word Ila and Ila is used in the Quran.

tearose
01-12-2014, 09:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dreamin
As for the word Mohd, I use it as an abbreviation when jotting down the name of a person who's name is Mohammad (not for Prophet Muhammad) because the paper might end up in trash and it's not right to throw the name Mohammad / Muhammad in the trash or on the floor. But I do not agree with spelling the name as Mohammed.
As-salaamu 3laikum,

I didn't know that, I thought we were only supposed to avoid throwing out anything with the name of Allah on it.

format_quote Originally Posted by wizra
Although I think he is over-thinking.
Not really, it is about having the proper respect with the name of Allah. Even if people understand the correct meaning, we should still be careful and make the small effort required to separate the words.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!