/* */

PDA

View Full Version : halal/haram cosmetics question

ILuvAllah
01-18-2014, 11:34 AM
Is it haram to use cosmetics that has alcohol in them? Actually I wanted to buy a body scrub but I see in the ingredients that it has been made with vodka. Can i still use it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhaba
01-18-2014, 12:42 PM
No. If it's chemically alcohol but not the same as drinking alcohol (wine, vodka, etc) then you might be able to use it. For example, rubbing alcohol and wood alcohol can't be drunk because they are poison but are used in various products such as cleaners and antiseptics. On the other hand, if a product contains the drinking kind, I think it's ethanol, then you can't use it.

you might want to read up on alcohol in Wikipedia to learn about the different kinds.

tw009
01-18-2014, 03:37 PM
Cetyl Alcohol - Halal
Cetyl alcohol is a long chain alcohol which is solid hence obviously not drinkabale nor does it cause intoxication if at all ingested. Therefore, it is halal to use in cosmetic products. It is also not absorbed through the skin when applied as a cream.

Cetearyl alcohol - Halal
In cosmetics and skincare Cetearyl Alcohol is not really an "alcohol" such as ethyl or rubbing alcohol, which would dry the skin, but is an emulsifying wax made by combining fatty alcohols derived from vegetable sources.

Ethyl Alcohol - Haram
Ethyl Alcohol is also used in many cosmetic agents both for men (Aftershave Lotion) and for female perfumes. Ethyl Alcohol is absorbed through the skin. It then passes through the flesh into the blood vessels and finally mixes with the blood and circulates throughout the body. Once in the blood it is as good as if one has ingested through the mouth. As a small quantity of any intoxicant is haram therefore, as mentioned earlier, all liquid cosmetic products containing Ethyl Alcohol are prohibited. Other names given to synthetic Ethyl Alcohol are, Ethanol, Methylated Spirits (contains 5 percent Methyl Alcohol and 95 percent Ethyl Alcohol). Products containing these ingredients therefore will also be prohibited.
More on this site- http://muslimahsmusings.blogspot.ca/...mate-list.html

tw009
01-18-2014, 03:51 PM
I recently bought a concealer and found out it has lecithin in it, I loveeddd it, I dont know where I'll find a replacement for it :(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ILuvAllah
01-18-2014, 05:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tw009
Actually the scrub i wanted to buy is from Lush which is listed as halal on the website you mentioned but the scrub has vodka in it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!