/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Science and religion - they can coexist

observer
01-22-2014, 12:53 PM
There was a long thread on evolution recently which pretty much went the same way as all creationism vs. evolution threads in the end (although it was interesting and there were some really enlightening posts from both sides).

I don't want to talk about evolution here at all in this thread - but I came across this article which struck me as being very positive and reconciliatory.

Enjoy!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._religion.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
01-22-2014, 02:06 PM
I like what Einstein said in the article. . . :thumbs_up

:peace:

observer
01-22-2014, 03:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
I like what Einstein said in the article. . . :thumbs_up

:peace:
Yes - he was quite a smart cookie!

Eric H
01-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Greetings and peace be with you observer;

I don't want to talk about evolution here at all in this thread
fine but this is in your link...

One would be hard pressed to find a legitimate scientist today who does not believe in evolution. As laid out in a cover story in the November issue of National Geographic magazine, the scientific evidence for evolution is overwhelming.
Yet in a 2001 Gallup poll 45 percent of U.S. adults said they believe evolution has played no role in shaping humans. According to the creationist view, God produced humans fully formed, with no previous related species.
But what if evolution is God's tool? Darwin never said anything about God. Many scientists—and theologians—maintain that it would be perfectly logical to think that a divine being used evolution as a method to create the world.
and this...

Still, science does contradict a literal interpretation of the first chapter of Genesis in the Bible
I am not sure how this is reconciliatory

- but I came across this article which struck me as being very positive and reconciliatory.
It seems to positively endorse evolution.

In the spirit of searching for God

Eric

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
observer
01-22-2014, 04:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you observer;

fine but this is in your link...

and this...

I am not sure how this is reconciliatory

It seems to positively endorse evolution.

In the spirit of searching for God

Eric

It's about scientists reconciling their faith with their scientific work. You can take it how you want, I thought it was a nice piece about some of the people who you might most expect to be atheist keeping their faith through science.

Abz2000
01-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Salamz ;)
honest science doesnt have to be reconciled with "religion" if one means Islam when using the term religion,

Real science is "religion" if one considers that science is meant to be an honest and objective study of the laws and workings of the universe and what it contains, because all are dependent on the laws of God, including gravity, the rotations of the sun and moon and the planets etc.

Along with that we have the most independent creation which is man who was given responsibility of keeping it right (vicegerent/caliph) with the limited ability of beautifying or corrupting it all, and man was always given instruction manuals as man's understanding progressed and "evolved" until we reached the verge of instantaneous global communication, thats when we received the completed instruction manual and criterion.

So getting back to the point, there is no merging or separation or dichotomy, it is and always has been one subject to those who humbly accept the obvious signs they see in the horizons and within themselves, and accept that ONE is above their power, wisdom or comprehension.
And the people who have this understanding have existed since the first man set foot on planet earth, the only ones who seemed to have a problem with this simple understanding were those oppressors with a vested interest in controlling peope and bending them to their own "laws", who did much to sway and deceive or even force people to submit to them rather than the simple and obvious truth, sadly many fell dupe only to find themselves cheated of the fruits of their labour and driven by the stick.

Scimitar
01-22-2014, 05:20 PM
WOW, good to read you brother Abz, been a long time. A very well explained post which I couldn't have attempted to word better myself.

scimi

Nur Student
01-22-2014, 08:27 PM
"The religious sciences are the light of the conscience, and the modern sciences are the light of the reason. The truth becomes manifest through the combining of the two. The students' endeavor will take flight on these two wings. When they are separated it gives rise to bigotry in the one, and wiles and skepticism in the other."

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!