/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Team Hoyt

glo
02-01-2014, 03:44 PM
I hope it's okay to share this beautiful and inspiring video with you.
As a runner and somebody who works with people with profound disabilities, I am so moved by this.

This father/son team have run over 1000 races across the US. Dick Hoyt is 73 years old now and still continues to push his son in his adapted wheelchair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~Zaria~
02-01-2014, 04:12 PM
^ One of the most touching videos I have seen in a long time!

I think it will keep this as my 'inspirational' video whenever I am feeling down...

SubhanAllah, Allah tests us in so many different ways. What an amazing example of turning a very difficult trial into something so postive!

May Allah (subhanawataƔla) favor them with His guidance and mercy.
Ameen.

Thank you SO much for sharing this video with us.

Peace

glo
02-01-2014, 06:24 PM
Seeing this father/son team makes me cry every time!
It is amazing what strength love and hope can produce in us.

observer
02-01-2014, 11:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Yes, yes, YES! I remember seeing this a while ago - absolutely fantastic. Genuinely heart-warming.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
02-01-2014, 11:45 PM
We should remember to make this to everyone whose need help, not only those in our own family.

I sometimes go to talk with disabled people I see on the city, maybe just ask how was your day, do you like to talk a moment. Most of time they are glad that someone comes to talk with them, show to care their feelings - not just walk away.

:embarrass

observer
02-02-2014, 12:54 AM
I think the thing I love most about this video is that it just shows that people are people are people: disabled, able-bodied or whatever. It's fantastic.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but in the same vein, I cried when I saw this for the first time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTzTt1VnHRM

We all complain a lot but really, life is pretty good :)

glo
02-02-2014, 11:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
We should remember to make this to everyone whose need help, not only those in our own family.
True.

Something that really struck me was that Rick Hoyt first wanted his father to race with him to raise money for somebody else who had suffered an accident and was paralysed as a result.
Rick said that he wanted him to know that you can be disabled and still have a good life!

sister herb
02-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Life is a test to all of us, not only if we by accident become disabled but also how human we can to be to the others.

glo
02-02-2014, 02:52 PM
^
Amen to that, sis :)

ardianto
02-03-2014, 01:04 AM

I sometimes go to talk with disabled people I see on the city, maybe just ask how was your day, do you like to talk a moment. Most of time they are glad that someone comes to talk with them, show to care their feelings - not just walk away.

:embarrass
Life is a test to all of us, not only if we by accident become disabled but also how human we can to be to the others.
Around 2006 there was a female customer who always came on wheelchair, pushed by a maid because she was too weak to run her wheelchair. She was very skinny woman, with face that showed a suffer of illness. But she still had a spirit of life. She always smile at me when we met.

Yes, I gave her special attention, and special treatment. I did not wait behind the counter when she came. But I always walk up to her and greet her with smile. I always talked with her too. I could feel that she very appreciated it. I could feel a happiness in her smile when she smile at me.

I knew she was suffer from illness, but I also knew that she was suffer from another thing too. She's a woman. I understood, deep in her heart she had a dream to build a family with a man who she loves. But no one who wanted to marry her because her condition.

And suddenly a question appeared in my mind. If I was unmarried and I meet her, would I marry her?. Frankly, I hesitate to say yes although that's only "if". My wife was healthy in that time, and everyone said, she was beautiful.

But then something happened. As you have know, my wife got breast cancer that attacked her bone. In 2012 her condition was becoming worse, and doctor said she would not able to walk again.

Later my wife condition was not different than the customer who I've ever met. She was very skinny and too weak to do something. Her beauty had lost. And her condition was even worse because she had lost her ability to smile although I always smile at her and tried to make her smile. She was always sad and cried.

And I remember the question which ever came into my mind. I realized, I did not marry my customer, but I had a wife who her condition was not different. So, could I still be a husband for her?.

And I answer that question with du'a, wish Allah give me longer time to be her husband, and I promise I would always love her and take care her for the rest of my life. But Allah decided what the best for her. Allah took my wife back to Him.

I am sorry if I always repeat my story again and again. But I will not getting bored to remind the people about love. Love is not rule someone and force her/him to follow what we want. But love is giving what we can give without expecting anything in return.

G8R
02-03-2014, 04:21 AM
Tremendous devotion!

sister herb
02-03-2014, 08:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
But love is giving what we can give without expecting anything in return.
That is very important to remember. :statisfie

ardianto
02-03-2014, 04:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I am not crying, but smile.

It's sound rude, I know. But I can see something that maybe not everyone can see it.

There's no parent who expect to have disabled child. Mister Hoyt too. But he could accept destiny that happen to his son. I know, deep in his heart, Mister hoyt feel sad, but he doesn't want to sink in sadness. What he want is make his son happy, and he feel a great happiness too when he can do something for his beloved son.

His happiness which makes me smile. I don't want to cry if I could meet them. I just want to smile with them.

:)

Scimitar
02-03-2014, 05:26 PM
beautiful :)

glo
02-03-2014, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
I am not crying, but smile.
I know what you mean, ardianto.

The story doesn't make me cry because I am sad for the hardships this family might have gone through ... but because I am so moved by the power of love and by the endurance this father/son team has shown over the years.

They are not tears of sadness, but tears of joy and amazement.

If I met father Hoyt, I would give him a great big smile too. And a hug if he let me.

Nur Student
02-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Quite inspiring and thought-provoking! I think a part from the book "Message for the Sick" will be good here:

My brother who suffers from a severe illness like apoplexy! Firstly I give you the good news that for believers apoplexy is considered blessed. A long time ago I used to hear this from holy men and I did not know the reason. Now, one reason for it occurs to me, as follows:

In order to attain union with Almighty God, be saved from the spiritual perils of this world, and to win eternal happiness, the people of God have chosen to follow two principles:
The First is contemplation of death. Thinking that both the world is transitory, and they themselves are temporary guests charged with duties, they work for eternal life in this way.
The Second: Through fasting, religious exercises and asceticism, they try to kill the evil-commanding soul and so be saved from its dangers and from the blind emotions.
And you, my brother who has lost the health of half his body! Without choosing it, you have been given these two principles, which are short and easy and the cause of happiness. Thus, the state of your being perpetually warns you of the fleeting nature of the world and that man is transient. The world can no longer drown you, nor heedlessness close your eyes. And for sure, the evil-commanding soul cannot deceive with lowly lust and animal appetites someone in the state of half a man; he is quickly saved from the trials of the soul.
Thus, through the mystery of belief in God and submission to Him and reliance on Him, a believer can benefit in a brief time from a severe illness like apoplexy, resembling the severe trials of the saints. A severe illness such as that thus becomes exceedingly cheap.

glo
02-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Thank you for sharing, Nur Student. Has your brother been like this since birth?
Can he communicate and tell you how he feels about his life and his situation?

Nur Student
02-04-2014, 12:20 AM
No, it is not my brother, glo. There, it is addressing to all the believers afflicted with diseases like apoplexy. Sorry for the obscurity.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!