/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Student Injured After iPhone Bursts Into Flames in Pants Pocket

Signor
02-02-2014, 06:08 PM
A 13-year-old student from Maine suffered first and second degree burns after the iPhone she was carrying in her pants pocket caught on fire, school officials said.

The eighth grader was in class at Kennebunk Middle School when she heard a pop and smoke began to billow from her pants, school principal Jeff Rodman told ABC affiliate WMTW-TV in Portland. Maine.

Two classmates rushed to the student’s aid, while another went outside to alert school staff and bring a fire blanket and extinguisher. As classmates were helping the girl out of her pants, the iPhone fell out of a pocket.

The girl was taken to Southern Maine Medical Center in Biddeford where she was treated for burns and later released.

Fire officials are investigating the incident and praised the student for remembering to “stop, drop and roll.”

Explosions and fires caused by Apple products are relatively rare, but incidents in the past have mostly been the result of the devices’ lithium ion batteries overheating.

In 2011 an iPhone 4 exploded mid-flight on an Australian Airline, and before that, the European Union launched a 2009 investigation after multiple instances of iPhones and iPod Touches exploding or catching fire midflight were reported in the U.K., Holland, France and Sweden.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crimsontide06
02-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Every time I have my cell phone in my pocket(happens with both sides) my leg starts itching uncontrollably after a few minutes in the area the phone is resting at..

ardianto
02-02-2014, 11:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Signor
Explosions and fires caused by Apple products are relatively rare, but incidents in the past have mostly been the result of the devices’ lithium ion batteries overheating.
Around 2007 in my son elementary school. One student there felt that his Nokia cellphone was getting hot. He told it to his friends who then suggested him to put that cellphone on desk or floor. But just he put that cellphone, it's exploded into flame and injured his hand. My son saw it. This case became news in newspaper and TV.

Local Nokia service center was contacted, and they made conclusion it's because the Chinese made lithium battery which used in that cellphone.

I had guessed it. Yeah, I was ever selling cellphone battery, charger, and accesories. All made in China.

Maybe not everyone know that lithium ion battery contain fluid inside which its volume can expand when hot, and can explode. There are two condition that can make lithium ion overheating. First, there is short circuit in the cellphone. Second, quality of the battery itself.

My advice. If you feel your cell phone or iPhone is becoming warm, turn it off and remove the battery. Then check your cell phone or iPhone to the service center.

format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06
Every time I have my cell phone in my pocket(happens with both sides) my leg starts itching uncontrollably after a few minutes in the area the phone is resting at..
Make sure your cell phone is clean before you put it in your pocket.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!