/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sruggling with Fajr Salah

Alex28
07-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Salaam. I pray Jummah Salah in the mosque every Friday. I pray zuhr, asr, maghrib and isha on time. However with fajr salah I am praying it on time just now because of Ramadan. However in the other 11 months I pray fajr salah qaza after sunrise. Is this allowed for me to do ? Please advise. Thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alex28
07-18-2013, 01:15 AM
Salaam. I am on antipsychotic medication which I take every night for mental health issues. Hence due to this can I pray Fajr qaza after sunrise ? This is what I do at the moment as I find it difficult to sleep when I try and wake up for Fajr Salah and also worried about going back to a psychiatric hospital by getting ill. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

aflawedbeing
07-18-2013, 03:44 AM
So I don't understand. Is it stopping you from waking up and making wuhdu? Allahu alim.
Does the drug have a side effect of extreme drowsiness?

Alex28
07-18-2013, 02:26 PM
No it does not make me extremely drowsy. However my doctor has said sleep is important and he does not want me to disturb my sleep by getting up for Fajr Salah. Any thoughts ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Iceee
07-18-2013, 03:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alex28
my doctor has said sleep is important and he does not want me to disturb my sleep by getting up for Fajr Salah.
Salaam.

Is there any way you can sleep earlier so that it will be easier to wake up for Fajr?
Yes sleep is important, and the doctors recommendation is important as well.

The time for Fajr starts with the second dawn (the true dawn) which is the horizontal whiteness that spreads along the horizon right and left, and the time lasts until the sun rises.

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/103186
If you miss Fajr and do not wake up until after the sun has risen, then you should pray Sunnah and then Fard (obligatory prayer).

http://islamqa.info/en/631

aflawedbeing
07-18-2013, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
Salaam.

Is there any way you can sleep earlier so that it will be easier to wake up for Fajr?
Yes sleep is important, and the doctors recommendation is important as well.
I was just going to suggest this. I know we're all different so I have to ask. Are you someone who needs their 8 hours plus, or like me and just goes on 3-4 hours? :)

aflawedbeing
07-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Strictly speaking, no.
But ahkee, if there's absolutely no way around the medical issues - what can you do?
Perhaps figuring this out is a test for you?

Alex28
07-18-2013, 09:34 PM
I need my 8 hours plus

Muhammad
07-19-2013, 12:44 AM
:salamext:

I've merged both threads to try and avoid confusion :ia:. I also deleted a couple of comments as we must be careful of giving fatwas based on our limited knowledge and personal opinions, which is a very serious thing.

Brother Alex, I am sorry to hear of your health issues. It might be worth getting clarification on whether waking up for Fajr is truly a risk to your health or not, and then the best thing is to ask a scholar regarding your situation.

May Allaah :swt: cure you of all your health problems, leaving no trace of illness, Aameen.

~Zaria~
07-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Salaam. I am on antipsychotic medication which I take every night for mental health issues. Hence due to this can I pray Fajr qaza after sunrise ? This is what I do at the moment as I find it difficult to sleep when I try and wake up for Fajr Salah and also worried about going back to a psychiatric hospital by getting ill. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

:salam: brother,

I am sorry to hear of your condition.

Just wanted to share a few thoughts in shaa Allah,

1. It is not possible for salaah to be detrimental to any medical condtion in life.

The reason why this can be said with such certainty is because: Our Reason for living is the worship of Allah.

Allah (subhanawataála) tells us in the Quraan (translation):

And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me.(51:56)

In other words, our priority and focus in life should rest on the worship of Allah - at all times.

No calamity, no sickness (save from losing ones senses - in which case, one is not held accountable, and death) should keep us away from our PURPOSE of life.
There should be nothing that comes in the way of our path to our Rabb.
Our lives should be revolving around salaah - not the other way around.

2. It is at times of trials and hardships (and all other times) that we should be turning to Allah - begging for His forgiveness and seeking His aid.
If we do not turn to Allah at these times, then who can we turn to?
We have no one else to turn to, BUT Allah.

We should always remember, that is not the doctors, or the medication that brings us cure - but it is Allah.

So, seek aid from Allah (subhanwataála) first - and even when we use the means that He has provided us, make duaa and say: 'O Allah, grant me cure/ relief through these means.' (in other words, recognizing that the cure does not lie in the medication, but with Allah Taa'la).

An important hadith:
One day I was behind the prophet and he said to me: "Young man, I shall teach you some words [of advice] :

Be mindful of Allah, and Allah will protect you.

Be mindful of Allah, and you will find Him in front of you.

If you ask, ask of Allah; if you seek help, seek help of Allah.

Know that if the Nation were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that Allah had already prescribed for you, and that if they gather together to harm you with anything, they would harm you only with something Allah had already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried."

(Tirmdihi)
How do we "Be mindful of Allah"?
--> By doing that which He loves and staying away from that which is displeasing Him.

So, by fulfilling our obligations of salaah - we will be doing that which is pleasing to Him.

And then the hadith continues to say (translation): ".....He will protect you."

Is there any better protection than that of Allah azza wajjal?

3. With regards to sleeping and mental health:

It is known that extreme sleep deprivation is detrimental to ones mental health.
This does not refer to losing a few hours of sleep for the sake of Allah (which can in shaa Allah, also be avoided by sleeping early (soon after Isha salaah), and then being able to arise early in the morning).

We should not forget the great benefits of Fajr salaah:
“Whoever prays fajr is under the protection of Allaah. Do not put yourselves in a situation where Allaah has to call you to account for your negligence.” [Reported by Muslim]

“The best of prayers in the sight of Allaah is the dawn prayer on Friday, in congregation.” [Authenticated by Al-Albani]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “…and whoever prays the dawn prayer in congregation, it is as if he had prayed the whole night long.” [Reported by Muslim]

So, we cannot avoid to lose out on the love and pleasure of Allah - based on the ill-advices of man.
(The psychiatrist who has advised that you do not wake up for Fajr is surely a disbeliever, and if he is muslim, then surely his heart is very far from the teachings of Allah and His Nabi (sallalahu alaihi wasalam). )

4. Consider the great love that our prophet (sallahu alaihi wasalam) and the sahaba (ra) had for salaah.

There is a narration that speaks of Umar (ra), who on his death-bed, will ask: "Is it time for salaah", whenever he regained consciousness.
Such was the great importance of salaah to this blessed generation -that even at the time of death, it was the only thing on their minds.

There are other narrations of the sahaba being seriously wounded in battle - but, still with these wounds they will be performing salaah.

Today, we live in a time where we find any reason not to perform salaah.
There are many patients in hospitals, for example, who defer salaah (when this should be the time when gaining the pleasure of Allah is so important).

Yet Allah has made it so easy for us, to fulfill our purpose for living:

Even if one cannot perform wudhu - then he can perform (dry) tayyamum.
Even if one cannot stand due to ill health - then he can sit and perform salaah.
Even if one cannot sit - then he can lie down and read his salaah in this position.

In other words, there is no period in ones life (exp for losing ones mind/senses and death) that one should be forsaking his salaah.
There is no life worth living, without the worship of Allah (at all prescribed times, and every other moment of life as well).

May Allah (subhanawataaála) grant you complete shifa' (healing) from your illness, and may He make it easy on you, to not only wake up for Fajr salaah, but also Tahajjud salaah and all other obligatory and nafl acts of worship.
Ameen

:wa:

Alex28
08-01-2013, 01:02 AM
I am confused. I do not know what to do. I want to stay healthy and do the right thing. I am unsure if I should pray Fajr on time or not. What are the pros and cons ?

Alex28
02-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Salaam. I am currently on anti psychotic medication which I take every evening before sleeping. It is for mental health issues and to help me to sleep. Due to this can I pray fajr salah qaza after sunrise or do I still need to pray Fajr Salah on time and if so why ? In addition to this I put the alarm clock on for Fajr salah last night at 6 am in the morning. The problem was I did not sleep at all. I was tossing and turning until 6 am. After praying Fajr salah at 6am then i got some sleep. What is more important for me ? Getting a good sleep or praying Fajr salah on time. Please advise. Thanks.

greenhill
02-09-2014, 02:47 PM
What is more important for me ? Getting a good sleep or praying Fajr salah on time. Please advise.
".............. I have created jinns and humankind only for my worship" (51:56)

From this it would be Fajr as opposed to sleep. :hmm:

:peace:

Walter D
04-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Tray to sleep early night if sleeping pills are your habit. Pray your Isha salat and try to sleep. If you sleep at time you will defiantly weak up on Fajar salat at time.
This is the way which can help you pray salat on time. No doubt we have to attend all prayers at their time.

Tame Sea
05-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Sleep is important, but prayer is more important. If you struggle to sleep at night even with the medication, trying adding exercise to your daily routine and make du'a.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!