/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hello and привет!

duraldo
04-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Greetings (Salaam, right? I am probably using this incorrectly, my apologies!)

I have been going through some spiritual questing, one might call it, and all road keep pointing to Allah and Islam. I cannot explain how I have found myself reading more about Islam, but the more I read about it, the more it makes sense and feels truthful to me. I have even had dreams regarding Islam and every dream I have had in the past about religion has been nightmarish. I find that to be a very large sign, as a good dream for me is rare.

So, I am very seriously considering converting to Islam and came here for information and guidance.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
04-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Hello duraldo and welcome to the forum,

It's great to hear of your interest in Islam. We will be most happy to do our best to help you on this journey. Let us know of any help you need. :)

The greeting that Muslims have been taught to use is 'Assalamu Alaykum', which means peace be upon you.

May Allaah, the Most Exalted, guide you to the religion of truth and fill your life with happiness, Aameen.

Muslim Woman
04-02-2014, 04:08 AM
Hello

Welcome here . Pl. browse the forum and ask about Islam in related threads or start new threads in general section .

I pray that God guides u to the Truth .

duraldo
04-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Assalamu Alaykum,

and thank you very much for your kind words.

Thanks for explaining the definition of that greeting, I have heard of it, but I never knew what the correct meaning was (or spelling for that matter). I have made contact with a local Iman and plan to meet with him soon.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
04-03-2014, 04:32 PM
hello

pl. share ur experience with us .

Muhammad
04-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Hello duraldo,

It is good you have arranged to see the Imam. I hope you will benefit from your experience.

The greeting 'Assalamu Alaykum' [:sl:] is an Arabic one, so there isn't one way to spell it in English, rather people will spell it in different ways as they are transliterating the Arabic text. The meaning is comprehensive, it involves wishing for the other person harmlessness, safety and protection from evil and from faults. al-Salaam is also a Name of Allaah, may He be exalted, so the meaning of the greeting of salaam can be, “May the blessing of His Name descend upon you.”

The Prophet Muhammad :saws: emphasised the importance of this greeting and linked it to spreading love and good actions. He also mentioned it is a way of earning reward and that it is a duty of Muslims to respond when greeted by each other.

A man asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “What is the best thing in Islam?” He said, “Feeding others and giving the greeting of salaam to those whom you know and those whom you do not know.” [Reported by Al-Bukhaari, Muslim and others]

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “You will not enter Paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Shall I not tell you about something which, if you do it, you will love one another? Spread salaam amongst yourselves.” [Reported by Muslim and others]

duraldo
04-05-2014, 01:24 AM
That is something I noticed Muhammad, that the transliteration is different everytime I read it, depending on the source. I did see an Iman today, and was only going to be an hour long thing (what I planed), turned into a 5 hour talk! It was very enlightening and really opened my eyes. I am officially Islam now, I think. I did the "affirmation" (forgive me if it is not called that, that's just what I called it), where you say "There is no other God than Allah....". The Iman wants me to come Sunday and welcome me officially to the rest of the congregation. Talking to him made a lot of sense. The views and expressions he had about Christianity are exactly the same ones I've always had since becoming agnostic. It was very reassuring to see that Islam answered all my questions and doubts I once had about the Christian belief in God.

Also, it is my birthday. :) What a coincidence, I wasn't planning to do this today, just happened to be the best day (as I learned the importance of Friday prayers).

Thanks for your help brother and sisters.

Muhammad
04-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

Alhamdulillah, all praise is for Allah, who has guided you. :) If a person makes the affirmation of faith and believes it in his heart, then he becomes a Muslim. I am glad to hear of your positive experience and that you will be meeting the congregation. Being around other Muslims is a vital part of growing in faith and remaining steadfast.

By the way, to return the greeting of salaam, we say 'wa alaykum assalam' :wa: (again spelling may vary).

May Allaah :swt: increase you in knowledge and keep you steadfast, Aameen.

duraldo
04-05-2014, 04:14 PM
It was very emotionally moving, words can't explain it. Thank you for your advice on the greeting of salaam. Saying words in Arabic is difficult for me, but not something I don't mind doing. I wouldn't mind learning Arabic as a 4th language too.

Hulk
04-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Assalamualaikum,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Indeed the whole universe is a sign of the Creator, sadly there are many who get caught up in the beauty of the sign itself that they don't realise where it's pointing towards. Alhamdulillah (All praise belongs to Allah) you are a muslim now. I am very happy and I wish I could welcome you in person.

Now that you are muslim, I guess I should tell you that learning in Islam never stops. Always make an effort to learn more about Islam (through proper teachers/sources), with the increase of knowledge, there will also be an increase in imaan/faith/conviction. That said, don't overwhelm yourself! One step at a time!

Be assured that your Lord is Most Merciful! Never forget that. :)

duraldo
04-06-2014, 08:50 PM
But of course the learning never stops, ever! This is something I find true in everything, you will never become a "master" at something, there is always something to learn. :) I'm just realizing how truly little I know. I went to the day prayer today and had a very enriching experience. There was only about 4 people there and I was by myself, but I prayed alone anyways. There is a circle (those 4 I mentioned) reading the last Surash. I was about ready to leave, and something compelled me to walk over there and sit with them. They were very welcoming and happy to share in the word of Allah with me. Then I found out why no one was there, people show up at about 2:00, not right at 1:31 when the day prayer officially begins. I prayed again, as I felt without having a recording or someone else reading parts of the Quaran in Arabic, that it is not a full prayer.

Something I noticed is how welcoming everyone is and eager to share. It is a welcome relief, as oppose to growing up christian, where it everyone always seemed to want to ask the newcomer "where is your family? You should bring your family, don't have any family? Oh bring your friends. No friends either? That's ok, you should talk to your co-workers....etc". It felt very social-clubish. Like everyone was trying to recruit everyone else for their personal Bible studies afterwards, reminded me of the frat rush week at school. They invite me to come to prayer, but they do not pressure me if I cannot. I like this.

Muslim Woman
04-07-2014, 07:26 AM
:sl:

wow bro , I am so happy for u . You are sinless now and all ur bad deeds have turned in to good deeds , praise be to God only.

5) sūrat l-fur'qān (The Criterion)

Sahih International: Except for those who repent, believe and do righteous work. For them Allah will replace their evil deeds with good. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

we have a thread for new Muslim stories . U may share ur story in details there

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!