/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hello All!

geoffopotamus
04-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Hi,

I am a Non-Muslim American photography student currently living in Boston. I have never practiced Islam however I was raised as a Unitarian Universalist (I do not currently identify as any religion) and part of my religious curriculum when I was growing up was to learn about world religions from people who practice the religion. So when I was still young I did things like learn about the Quran and visit some Mosques to glean a general understanding of what it meant to be Islamic. I have also in my studies at art school taken a few Islamic art classes that have worked to inform me a little about the way artists are working around this subject.

I joined the forum today because I am working with a Muslim woman in the area on a photography project and I would like some input from people here on the forum. We are creating a photo series aimed at confronting the way mainstream American media imposes a distorted view of Islam on those who practice it here in the states. To accomplish this I will be projecting text onto her that represents the negative stereotypes that are pervasive in our culture. In doing this I will be literally super imposing these falsities onto her so that I can capture her interacting with them visually. However, in order to give more credibility to the project I need the text to be quotes or article headlines from people in popular media. I am doing my own research right now trying to hunt down inflammatory remarks or articles headlines but I am not having very much success. So I thought I could reach out to people in the Islamic community for help. It would really help me out if you here on the forum could help me find these quotes and articles. Even if you just point me towards an article or news piece that you found particularly upsetting.

Thanks in advance

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
04-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Hello

welcome to the forum .

I have not watched this video , looks like it can give u some info.
Fox News' Anti-Islam Propaganda Techniques (Mustafa Khattab)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8otewvCw2k

another link :

Modern Day Propaganda Against Islam

Modern Day Propaganda
Whenever we hear the word 'propaganda', we immediately think of earlier wars: WW1 and the British propaganda against the Germans; WW2 and the German propaganda against the Jews.
But propaganda in this day and age? No way! Something like that could NEVER happen in our modern society, surely.
You may not realize it, but we are currently under the influence ofmassive global propaganda against the Arab World.
This can be seen in headlines like:
Very seldom is any hard evidence presented, and yet the buzz phrases 'Al Qaeda', 'Muslim extremists', 'radical Islamists' and such like are repeated ad nauseam

http://www.threeworldwars.com/archive/wel/welcome09.htm

Hulk
04-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Had some trouble understanding your description but I think I got it a bit.

Here's a site that I think relates to what you're doing.

http://whatiftheyweremuslim.com/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!