/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I broke my fast during the day, what do I do?

mahmoudelmasri
07-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

I married my wife recently, in December, and it is my first Ramadan living with a partner. Early this morning after fajr we were lying in bed talking and I was tempted and, though she said she didn't want to break her fast or for me to break mine, she was tempted as well and we made love.

I know that if you miss a day in Ramadan you must make it up later, but I have read that the penance for intentionally breaking your fast is different. I read online that it is 60 days of consecutive fasting or feeding a certain number of homeless people.

What do I do if I cannot fast for 60 consecutive days? I live in the West and it is very challenging here; I fast Ramadan but 60 days in addition to Ramadan is so long it does not seem possible. What are the rules for feeding those in need instead? Can I make zaka? Will that count? I feel horrible for what I have done and I want to be responsible for it, but I am afraid that I will fail if I try to fast the 60 days.

Shukran.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strivingobserver98
07-01-2014, 07:10 PM
I have asked a scholar on your behalf he replied "He must fast for 60 days, no one says he has to fast in summer, he can fast when winter comes and the days are shorter."

ardianto
07-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Wa'alaikumsalam

Kaffarah for people people who broke their fast due to do intimacy at the fasting day is:

- Free a slave.
If this person unable to free a slave, he can take the next option.

- Fasting 60 days uninterruptedly except in the days when fasting is forbidden.
If this still unable, then he can take the next option

- Feed 60 poor people

This is according to majority of Ulama.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!