We would like to know your opinions on the current version of the forum, and whether you want us to revert back to the old version. Most of our active members are nowhere to be seen now and there is a slight possibility that they are unable to access or find it very difficult to access this forum.
The main advantages of reverting back would be:
1. Restoration of all previous features and modifications, including permission settings etc
2. Familiar look and feel of the forum, making it easier to use.
But there would also be the following disadvantages:
1. The url links will change once again, affecting the SEO of the forum
2. All the posts made after February 2014 will be lost
3. All the members who have registered after Feb will have to register once again (This can be solved by coping the users from the current db to the restored one but it might take some time and efforts).
Another thing is, if we revert back, we will be downgrading to vB 4.2.2 and not vB 4.1.5 because the vB 4.1.5 is obsolete and not compatible with the PHP version running on the server. The old forum was running vB 4.1.5 and this was the main reason why we had to upgrade.
At that time, we had the choice of upgrading to either vB 4.2.2 or to vB 5.0.5. We chose vB 5 because it was more SEO friendly and we thought having the latest version would better.
But if we want to keep running this version, then it is possible that all the current issues will be solved sooner or later as vBulletin keeps updating the software. They are going to release the vB 5.1.3 version in which 155 issues have been resolved. The vB 5.1.1 had resolved 126 issues and vB 5.1.2 had also solved 152 issues. Most of the them are hidden issues not visible to the general user. We are still running vB 5.1.0 and we can upgrade to vB 5.1.3 in a few days :ia: when it gets released for download.
In short, we can either keep upgrading the forum to the latest releases and solve the current problems, or revert the forum back to vB 4 and restore everything to its previous state. Please vote and let us know your opinion. :jz:
Edit: For those who are new, this is how the forum looked like before the upgrade: https://web.archive.org/web/20140209...amicboard.com/