/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Smelly People In The Masjids

hisnameiszzz
07-06-2014, 08:25 PM
I will apologise in advance as this is quite an embarrassing topic. It's Summer in the UK and the number of men that come to the Masjid smelling of very very stale body odour is increasing. There is one man who stinks the whole Masjid and wherever you go (front/back), you can smell him. I cannot do with nasty smells, it has always been a major issue for me; and the smell or even the thought of him being there makes me want to throw up.

There is also a bedding factory near the Masjid and there are numerous men who come to prayers, again, smelling like they have not had a wash in months on end. Their clothes are nasty and are stained. How they can come to the Masjid and stand in front of their Lord in that state is beyond me!

I will stand in the front line but there is always someone that smells nasty there too. I always take ittar with me and put on loads on my face/nose and on my clothes but that is never enough. The smelly people overpower the fragrance.

Forgive me for being thick, but is it not Fardh/Sunnat to wash your self/put on nice clothes/make an effort when you come to the Masjid for prayers? I would happily hold my nostrils shut during prayers so I can't smell them, but my prayers would break wouldn't they?

​Can someone advise me?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
07-06-2014, 09:08 PM
speak to the masjid committee and express your concern, nicely, and ask them to make an announcement.

hisnameiszzz
07-06-2014, 10:18 PM
AOA Uncle Scimi Gee. Aap kesa hai? I have already spoken to the Imam and he said "I'm not getting involved. If said smelly person stops coming to the Masjid, it will be on my shoulder". He said people get offended at the drop of a hat these days. Also, said smelly person is the brother in law of the chairman of the committee. I doubt he would say anything. As for the smelly factory workers, the committee needs their membership fees, so they would not say a word to them.

Yenzin
07-07-2014, 01:09 AM
Pinch your nose ;D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Scimitar
07-07-2014, 02:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hisnameiszzz;n2233632
AOA Uncle Scimi Gee. Aap kesa hai? I have already spoken to the Imam and he said "I'm not getting involved. If said smelly person stops coming to the Masjid, it will be on my shoulder". He said people get offended at the drop of a hat these days. Also, said smelly person is the brother in law of the chairman of the committee. I doubt he would say anything. As for the smelly factory workers, the committee needs their membership fees, so they would not say a word to them.
Walakum salaam nephew :) i've been well alhamdulillah, how have you been?

Tell the Imam that you wont be coming to the masjid - that will put him in a catch 22.

Or, threaten him with a "i'll go to the local paper and expose you semlly sods that way, your choice" (joke, kind of - kind of serious too)

Go to another masjid... come to mine, plenty of itr smells in mine, and no sweat bags :D and a nice place to get a coffee afterwards

greenhill
07-07-2014, 05:12 AM
What surprises me the most is that some of them really do not know they are smelly.

aflawedbeing
07-07-2014, 08:43 AM
Surely there wives would tell them.....Oh, waiiiiiiiiiiiiit. :P

but, no, seriously. If you don't like the smelliness go to another local masjid that has already, or is willing to, do something about it.

Marina-Aisha
07-07-2014, 09:06 AM
I know it's hard but maybe u approach theses smelly men. In kind and gentle way. If not u might have find new mosque if it's really bad for u. Good luck lol

hisnameiszzz
07-09-2014, 03:20 AM
Thanks so much for the responses people. Alhamdolillah, all OK here Uncle Scimi gee. Febreeze sounds like a laugh but I don't want to come home with numerous black eyes. You are all right. I think the smelly people genuinely don't think they smell. I guess if they smell like that day in day out, they won't know anything else will they. I can kind of understand why Muslims are sometimes classed as "smelly Pa*is", you can't really blame them can you? I would not feel confident approaching them even if it is in a gentle manner. They might tell me who the hell I think I am talking to them like that. After all, I am not an aalim or a mufti or anyone special. I'm not trying to say I am Mister prim and proper, but I don't go to the Masjid in tops and trousers where my behind pops out when I go into sajdah nor do I smell like a dead rat or a tramp. I thought it was just common sense to make an effort, but maybe I am wrong. I've looked into going to another Masjid, but the closest one is about a 30 minute walk and I don't think I could walk there and back 3-5 times a day. I will carry on going to the same Masjid and hopefully it will get better, but if not, no more Masjid for me and I will have to pray at home or somewhere else.

Scimitar
07-09-2014, 03:22 AM
I pray you will still attend the masjid bro. Even if it means you have to wear a cloth mask over your mouth and nose as the doctors and nurses do in hospital surgeries. A touch of itr on the mask would do the trick I imagine.

Consider it bro.

Scimi

~Zaria~
07-09-2014, 03:22 AM
:sl:

Allah tests us in many different ways - this too, is a test.

I would suggest:

1. Writing to the imaam - and perhaps encouraging your friends to do so as well - sometimes, there is more impact in writing, and in numbers.

A simple: "Please assist us - we are finding difficulty in attending this masjid due to the overwhelming odour in the House of ALLAH...." - may be sufficient in shaa Allah.

2. Make duaa to Allah for a way out of every solution.
Truly, He loves those who turn to Him initially -
as soon as
they are in any type of need.

3. Sabr - make the effort to create a change, then trust in Allah - and be patient in the process.

:wa:

M.I.A.
07-09-2014, 03:24 AM
pass your ittar around the people near you, offer it personally so you can show them ittar etiquette.

...lastly dont use it yourself so that you smell it from them more easily.

its worth a try at least once. although very hard practically.

Abz2000
07-09-2014, 03:25 AM
Lol!!! Some smell and asians generally tend to eat a lot of garlicy oniony pakoras and stuff - especially in ramadan, and the smell of parkoras just don't go for ages, they even linger on the clothes lol. Dunno if you'll be able to carry the burden but here's the instructions ;) ........

Drag them out and tell them to take a walk in the local graveyard......and tell them to cook it 'til crispy next time.......

1701.*Ibn `Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) said: The Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said, "He who has eaten garlic should not come to our mosque.''[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]. ........
The narration in Muslim is: ...... "He who has eaten garlic should not come to our mosques.'' ....
*1702.*Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) said: . ... The Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said,...... "He who has eaten from this plant (i.e., garlic) should not approach us and should not offer Salat (prayer) along with us.''[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]....... ......
*1703.*Jabir (May Allah be pleased with him) said:........ The Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said,...... "He who has eaten garlic or onion should keep away from us or our mosques.''[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].... .....
The narration in Muslim is: ........"He who has eaten onion or garlic or leek should not approach our mosque,
because the angels are also offended by the strong smells) that offend the children of Adam.
''[Muslim]........ ....Commentary:**It is not permissible to eat raw onions, garlic or anything with a strong offending smell before going to the mosque. It is permissible, however, to eat them after their strong odour has vanished as a result of cooking or boiling. Since their odour vanishes after cooking, their use is permissible in cooked form.*.... .....
1704.*It *has *been *narrated *that `Umar (May Allah be pleased with him) said in the sermon of Friday prayer: .... ...."O you people! You eat garlic and onion. I think the odour of these to be very offensive.
I saw that if the Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) happened to find a man with such offensive odour in the mosque, he would order him to be taken out of the mosque and sent to Al-Baqi`.
He who wants to eat any of these, should cook them till their odour dies out.[Muslim]....... .......

Commentary:**Khabith generally means impure, base and wicked, but it is also used in the sense of Haram (unlawful), that is for eatables which are forbidden or which have an unpleasant and disgusting smell. Garlic, onion etc., are Khabith in their raw form and Muslims have been prohibited from going to the mosque after eating them. .... .......

One can, however, eat them in their cooked form. One can also use them when the time to go to mosque for Salat is not very near. We also learn from this Hadith that one should not eat any such odorous thing when he has to go to the mosque or Madrasah or any congregation for some religious purpose because it will be repulsive for the people present there. Their eating is, however, permissible even in their raw form, if one is not going to the mosque for Salat. ... ....

2. We also learn from this Hadith that mosques should be kept free from every kind of filth and odorous things. There is no justification for the construction of toilets in the premises of mosque. Mosques which have toilets within their compounds must have good ventilation systems or be divested of the toilets to purge them of the unclean environments.*.... ...

Ps. I think the easiest way for you would be to print out the ahadith and ask the imam to mention it with emphasis. Peace, Abz

hisnameiszzz
07-09-2014, 03:25 AM
Scimitar - I don't know if you are being serious or if you are joking about the mask. Zaria - Good points, I didn't ever think of making dua for the fragrant folk. I will do that when I go to Asar today. None of my friends go to the Masjid, I think I am probably the only one from my school year that goes, the rest make appearances in Ramadhan but I am not here to judge them. Maybe they go to another Masjid or they pray at home. The idea of writing a letter is a good point. I will see what I can do about it. I know there was a big hoohaa recently at the Masjid because folk wear tight mini tops and tiny jeans so when they go into Ruku and Sajdah, you end up getting an eyeful of someone's back or behind. The Imam did a lot of sermons about it and put heaps of notices up but no one took any notice. You still end up getting an eyeful of someone's back side. Personally, I think it's disgusting but to each their own. MIA - If I passed my ittar to them, I would not want it back. Also, they have a huge stand with shed loads of ittar on near the entrance of the Masjid for anyone and everyone to use, so it's not like they actually have an excuse. Apologies again for this thread. It probably makes me sound like a right drama queen but bad smells are one thing that really annoy me. I know it's not the end of the world but nonetheless, I don't like the idea of me throwing up in the Masjid. I just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts and views were and I very much appeciate all the responses, and the time you guys have taken to reply. And I am not looking for excuses to not go to the Masjid. I absolutely love it, especially when everyone is doing tilawat in the back hall. I love praying salat behind an Imam. I love going to sermons especially when there are Imams coming from all over the world. However, stinky people put me right off and if it carries on, I won't have any choice but to not go.

Scimitar
07-09-2014, 03:28 AM
assalaam alaikum brother Abz, nice to read you again,

I had also recalled this hadeeth but didn't look for the reference - i'm pleased you have it and posted it alhamdulillah.

I just want to add that in masjids during ramadhan here they do iftar. And Muslims all bring food to the masjid for iftar to be shared out - this is also a regular occurrence in merkez, thursday nights where muslims bring food - and in both these cases, onions are always in the food - ie: pakoras etc...

...I wonder how this is allowed in masjids when the committee members should all be aware of the ahadeeth you posted.

I'm having one of those "scratch my head" moments.

Scimi

Abz2000
07-09-2014, 05:29 AM
Wa'alaikumumssalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu,......

Apologies for not replying to pms earlier, ....
I think the pakoras are too tasty and the whiff of onion bhaji makes the hadith fly out of our memories, gotta b more careful.......
To be honest It doesn't feel so bad when you eat it urself, until the day you eat fruit salad and pilau instead of fry and the guy standing next to you's in with a fleece jacket reeking of super potent pakora ........
The Prophet pbuh must've been very sensitive to it because he'd avoid garlic and always brush his teeth.

hisnameiszzz
07-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Trust me the smell of curry/onions/garlic is nothing compared to how stale and rancid some people smell. Besides I love garlic, hahaha.

I've had a good day today, no nasties next to me when I went for Zohar and Asar. Woohoo!

Have a good Iftari all.

M.I.A.
07-12-2014, 01:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hisnameiszzz
Scimitar - I don't know if you are being serious or if you are joking about the mask. Zaria - Good points, I didn't ever think of making dua for the fragrant folk. I will do that when I go to Asar today. None of my friends go to the Masjid, I think I am probably the only one from my school year that goes, the rest make appearances in Ramadhan but I am not here to judge them. Maybe they go to another Masjid or they pray at home. The idea of writing a letter is a good point. I will see what I can do about it. I know there was a big hoohaa recently at the Masjid because folk wear tight mini tops and tiny jeans so when they go into Ruku and Sajdah, you end up getting an eyeful of someone's back or behind. The Imam did a lot of sermons about it and put heaps of notices up but no one took any notice. You still end up getting an eyeful of someone's back side. Personally, I think it's disgusting but to each their own. MIA - If I passed my ittar to them, I would not want it back. Also, they have a huge stand with shed loads of ittar on near the entrance of the Masjid for anyone and everyone to use, so it's not like they actually have an excuse. Apologies again for this thread. It probably makes me sound like a right drama queen but bad smells are one thing that really annoy me. I know it's not the end of the world but nonetheless, I don't like the idea of me throwing up in the Masjid. I just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts and views were and I very much appeciate all the responses, and the time you guys have taken to reply. And I am not looking for excuses to not go to the Masjid. I absolutely love it, especially when everyone is doing tilawat in the back hall. I love praying salat behind an Imam. I love going to sermons especially when there are Imams coming from all over the world. However, stinky people put me right off and if it carries on, I won't have any choice but to not go.

i guess you are right, to each there own.

and you would rather they be more like you, then you becoming more like them.

unfortunately iv shoveled more rubbish than id like to have...literally... so the smell hardly bothers me.

passing the ittar around should accompany passing the charity bag around.. some of that ittar stand might actually get used.

and then when people go around there daily business other people would benefit also.

although in reality it probably would not work like that.

i have no idea about tight clothes although i have to admit that the very same sermon has been delivered at my mosque, it makes very little difference to me what clothes they wear.

and even if we all wore the same clothes, we would argue about the colour of our hats.

its a losing battle against allah swt.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!