/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ishmael

Wheel
07-28-2014, 09:45 PM
So, "Ishmael" is a song by Abdullah Ibrahim. He is a South African jazz musician, who converted to Islam in the 80's. He's one of my favorite musicians, and this is one of my favorite songs by him. Ishmael features him and another man on vocals, and I'm pretty sure the song is in Arabic. I don't speak Arabic, and I was wondering what he was saying. It sounds very religious to me (possibly a passage from the Qur'an?) based on the vocals and the title, but I have no idea where the words are from. I've always just wondered what it is he's saying, and where the lyrics are from. I was hoping one of you might be able to tell me what it means, or where it's from. Thankyou!

At the very least, I hope you enjoy the song. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
h-n
07-28-2014, 10:36 PM
I've listened to the initial part of the song and it sounds like he is reciting Surah Fatiha (Surah number 1 from the quran).

I hope you enjoy your time on this forum. :)

Wheel
07-28-2014, 11:07 PM
Cool! Thankyou!

h-n
07-29-2014, 12:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wheel
Cool! Thankyou!
Your welcome, feel free to ask anything else and show us other new stuff. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhammad
07-29-2014, 02:22 AM
Hello Wheel and welcome to the forum,

To sing verses of the Qur'an in accompaniment to music is actually a great disrespect to the Qur'an and does not befit its dignity. The Qur'an is the Words of God revealed to the Prophet Muhammad :saws:, to guide mankind to the way of truth and salvation. It is not an amusement or entertainment. Rather it is an admonition to be heeded and a message to study and contemplate. Although it is to be recited in a melodious manner, it is not meant to be turned into music.

For more information about the concept of recitation of the Qur'an with examples, have a look at the following thread (may be slow to load due to video clips):
http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...ecitation.html

You might also be interested to read:
http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...christian.html

And we have many more informative threads for you to browse. Let us know if you need anything.

Signor
07-29-2014, 04:01 AM
Hi Wheel,How its going?

format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Although it is to be recited in a melodious manner, it is not meant to be turned into music.
Here is a sweet-sounding voice with translation,something you asked for....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!