/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why do you believe what you believe?

illumination
07-29-2014, 07:18 AM
Well? was it because of your parents, society or your own free will?

There are countless belief systems across this great big world of ours, so why is Islam the way?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hulk
07-29-2014, 10:29 AM
I believe that the universe did not appear randomly out of nowhere, neither do I believe that the laws of the universe/nature/science are the way they are randomly. I believe that God gave us intellect so that we may use it to find our way back to Him. I also believe that there is only one Creator, and not many. And lastly, I believe in the prophethood of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) because of who he is and the message he brought.

There are plenty of other things which increases my beliefs but the above is enough for me.

The Quran does not tell you to shut off your intellect, rather it encourages you to reflect. At the same time, it demands that you acknowledge your limited capabilities and understanding.

greenhill
07-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Well I was born into islam.

I was brought up with the understanding but fairly liberal. I was educated in an English curriculum school and had to for a time attend church and divinity classes. But in those years already exposed to various other beliefs but found islam sat very well in my psyche despite whatever. Uncertainties in some aspects let me to research and further cemented my belief.

Subsequently, learning abut the scientific proof in the quran confirmed its divinity (which reminds me of a thread I was supposed to respond to on the scientific miracles:hiding:)..

:peace:

greenhill
07-30-2014, 12:51 PM
With a bit more time to think about this, I guess my journey now is not about "why I believe in what I believe" because the journey has gone deeper. It is not a case of needing proof anymore. The proof is all around for me to see.

The real journey is in 'living the life you believe in' which is what Allah has decreed and the prophet being His 'showcase', hence the sunnah. ---

For this I need to equip myself with knowledge. From the knowledge we get wisdom, but NOT without learning from experience. You cannot expect different results if you keep doing the same thing. That is idiot territory! Don't go there!!!

But we need to be consistent. That is the real battle. It is better we do a little bit of everything than brilliantly at one and fail the rest. Which is what we are being 'silently' brainwashed into thinking. A whole heap one shot, tick it as being done and forget it for the year(?)... How can we be consistent when the world at large has been set to go the opposite way? Look around and we see the world at large and it is pretty un islamic. So if I truly believe, islamic reality is totally opposite to how we live now. We need to find a community that lives as the sunnah. How many chickens can we eat? Goat, lamb, fish, cow? Rice, potato, bread, capati or whatever individually? How difficult essentially would it be barring some resolvable technicalities. But that is something else altogether.

To first know that I am alone responsible for my own destiny. I chose it. My legs walked me there, my eyes guided me there, my hands. . . I could have at any time choose to alter that course of action. Who is to blame? Can I meet my maker? If not, repent and ask for His forgiveness. I find it reassuringly simple. Do not be like syaitaan. The reality is incredibly tempting. If the Jews can get from their corrupted Book the land of Israel, then what about the Book of Quran? What would it be for the muslims? Their time will come. We have the skyscrapers rising now, those muslims of poor faith, will fall victim to the forces of temptations of the world. This is the hidden reality. I believe few will remain steadfast when the real test begins.

In a weird way, the way the world is going kinds of reinforce it in my mind that islam is the destiny. The Jews were persecuted, the Christians were too, Islam never really. It grew to quickly too fast at a time when the other superpowers were already waning in power and cohesiveness. It will be our time to get it soon. It has taken them that long to breakdown the islamic empire. Now it is at the weakest it has ever been. What next? Interesting... Getting long already.

:peace:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
h-n
07-30-2014, 09:53 PM
Firstly, I think there that various belief systems needs to be highlighted amongst Christians and Judaism.

We believe that all the Prophets ie Solomon, Adam, David, Lut, John, Jesus, Muhammad, Noah, Idris, Job, Moses, Ibrahim peace be upon them all came with the same message that was to worship the one God, accept the Day of Judgement and Paradise and Hell.

Now Christians do accept that Prophets Noah, Moses peace be upon them for example did tell the people to worship the one God, the Day of Judgement, Paradise and Hell. It is only after Prophet Jesus peace be upon him's arrival that they say he there saviour (instead of the Lord of the Worlds, the creator of Prophet Jesus and Adam peace be upon him, who neither had fathers and nor did the latter have a mother). So in accordance with the Christians beliefs before they mention about Prophet Jesus peace be upon him we are correctly following all the Prophets.

With Judaism, they and the Christians have changed their texts (as with Christians saying that Prophet Jesus peace be upon him is a son of God, one of three-trinity). They both dispute, and complain that the Muslims say that they have changed their texts. But from their own mouths this is what the Judaism now says;-

-there is no Hell-the acknowledge that Jews in the past accepted Hell, but now say that this belief was received from pagan beliefs-so here they have clearly changed, as were is their proof that Jews did not receive the correct message, did they receive a new message from God to tell them there is no Hell?

-they now say that Satan is not evil, but working for God to test people.

-with the Prophets it was about giving a message to everyone who was a live at that time, not to a few select group of people, so to now make the whole idea of Judaism a "race" of people is wrong. Do they seriously think that when King David, Moses peace be upon them when they came they did not care for anyone else and didn't give the message the same for all??

It is important to accept that there is one God, the Day of Judgement, Paradise and Hell. As you then get groups like Christians who say kingdom will be in this world, but Paradise is already created and a seperate from this world.

Even with the mention that there is one God, was a threat to idol worshippers in the past, as they couldn't control the masses by having them give food, money whatever support to temples and keep their way of life going including being lewd and getting drunk. As worshipping the one God, you are free from looking towards anyone, stature, people dead or alive. The angels are worshipping, and praising the one God and so do the Muslims.

There is plenty of mention that people think those who are religious are influenced by their parents, society. Some references;-

-Going back at the time of Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him, people converted to Islam, knowing full well that they would be persecuted and attacked by the idol worshippers and even killed.

-The magicians at Pharoah's court had their hands and feet chopped off at alternative sides and died strung up, because they refused to take back what they said about accepting that there is a one God when Prophet Moses peace be upon him snake swallowed their illusion.

-Even at the time of Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him, people were disliked by their parents, relatives for choosing Islam.

The Christians and the Jews try to claim that Islam is a made up and brand new religion, when Allah only sends Prophets to give people the message of God, hence why they are called Messengers. It has proven if anything if we did not have the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him, we would not have been helped to show the correct path of Prophet Ibrahim peace be upon him, from the Jews who care about if your family or not, or reject Hell fire, or from the Christians for the idol worship-as looking towards anyone as your saviour rather then the one God of the Universe is idol worship.

drac16
07-31-2014, 05:34 AM
After years of calling myself rational, I came to the conclusion that if I really was rational, I would want to follow truth, even if said truth leads me somewhere I'm not comfortable with (what made me uncomfortable was being held to a higher standard than my own conscience). Seeing how the Qur'an endorses using reason as opposed to just praying about whether or not a book is true or to "ask so-and-so into your heart", that was what first caught my eye. I did some independent research regarding how Islam sees women because that was something I thought was out of whack. Turns out, Islam exalts women higher than most people recognize.

On top of that, there are the historical and scientific miracles in the Qur'an that never could've been known by natural man, which proves that this knowledge had to come from somewhere else. I kept looking for excuses not to believe, but the evidence was [and still is] too plentiful and too obvious to ignore.

Arru34
07-31-2014, 10:57 AM
because I want to believe.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!