/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Facial hair

jkekeis
09-01-2014, 04:02 AM
As-salamu alaykum brothers and sisters,

As we all know, it is in tradition for men to grow out their beards and shave their mustaches. Here in America, the place I was born, raised, and still live, working at jobs makes it somewhat impossible to have both a beard and a job. My boss has been tolerant of many things including allowing me to pray while at work, wear a taqiyah, and to have facial hair. That being said, the facial hair has to be short, and any man who has had short facial hair knows that the neckline can look pretty messy at times. With that in mind, is it possible to trim (as in make the edges look neat and clean) the beard?

I look forward to the help.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali Mujahidin
09-02-2014, 03:13 AM
Grow beards and shave mustaches? Well, I am all at sea with Arabic but I have it on the authority of a friend who is an Arabic scholar, that the correct translation of that hadeeth is 'Keep beard and trim mustache'. Apparently, according to my friend, there are two different words in Arabic for shave and trim, and the word used in the hadeeth is trim not shave. Of course, that doesn't stop a lot of people from shaving their mustaches. I think the shaving is more like a reaction to the non-Muslims who keep mustaches. Anyway, for myself, I keep my beard and trim my mustache, not so much as to be different from the non-Muslims (because there are non-Muslims where I live who keep beards and trim mustaches) but I do it as a way of following the sunnah of the Holy Prophet.

BilalKid
09-02-2014, 03:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali Mujahidin
Grow beards and shave mustaches? Well, I am all at sea with Arabic but I have it on the authority of a friend who is an Arabic scholar, that the correct translation of that hadeeth is 'Keep beard and trim mustache'. Apparently, according to my friend, there are two different words in Arabic for shave and trim, and the word used in the hadeeth is trim not shave. Of course, that doesn't stop a lot of people from shaving their mustaches. I think the shaving is more like a reaction to the non-Muslims who keep mustaches. Anyway, for myself, I keep my beard and trim my mustache, not so much as to be different from the non-Muslims (because there are non-Muslims where I live who keep beards and trim mustaches) but I do it as a way of following the sunnah of the Holy Prophet.
Do you trim moustache or shave it completely whats correct opinion?

Tayyip
09-02-2014, 04:19 AM
There is nothing wrong with not shaving mustache many muslim leaders in turkey have mustaches

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syed_z
09-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Asalaam O Alaikum..

Thanks for the thread Brother JK.

The Prophet (saw) said that "Allah (swt) is beautiful and loves beauty."

We males are required to keep beards but make sure they are not unkempt and disheveled.

hisnameiszzz
09-05-2014, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jkekeis
As-salamu alaykum brothers and sisters,

As we all know, it is in tradition for men to grow out their beards and shave their mustaches. Here in America, the place I was born, raised, and still live, working at jobs makes it somewhat impossible to have both a beard and a job. My boss has been tolerant of many things including allowing me to pray while at work, wear a taqiyah, and to have facial hair. That being said, the facial hair has to be short, and any man who has had short facial hair knows that the neckline can look pretty messy at times. With that in mind, is it possible to trim (as in make the edges look neat and clean) the beard?

I look forward to the help.
Salaams,

You need to move to the UK then. Even non Muslims keep beards here and they all seem to have jobs too! It's trendy to have a beard these days. Unsure why it isn't in the USA.

I don't know the answer to your question, but if there are other jobs going where your boss won't put such restrictions, then you should see if you could get a job elsewhere. I know it's easier said than done, but I've never heard of a boss putting restrictions on someone's facial hair ever before.

Good luck.

gord
09-11-2014, 02:40 AM
I always struggled to grow a beard and I dislike facial hair. I actually grew my fullest beard ever but shaved it recently. I'll try again one day. Where I live beards are very common with non Muslims.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!