/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is this a true saying of Iman Shafi?

Hussein.B
09-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Assalamualaikum, i have a question if someone could help me.

there is this saying that for years all around me have been saying its a saying of Iman Shafi (ra), the saying or quote is:

"the road to Jahannam is paved with peoples good intention (niyyah)"iv been told this is a saying of Iman Shafi for years by olders and by those around me but i spent hours yesterday trying to find a reference to and i couldn't find anything.

could someone please help me in finding a reference or if it could be verified that it is Sahih?

the only reference i could find it that this saying is in the bible so i am wondering if Iman Shafi really said it or has it come from the Christians

I ask Allah to reward you for your help (Ameen)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
InToTheRain
09-03-2014, 04:03 PM
:sl:

Can't be true because Allah Most High does not punish us for good intentions. In fact you are rewarded for sincere good intentions even if you don't act upon them.

Also if we make bad intentions and don't act upon them for the sake of Allah Most High we are rewarded but we aren't even punished for bad intentions until we act upon it. Allah Most High is Most Merciful.

Hussein.B
09-03-2014, 04:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by InToTheRain
:sl:

Can't be true because Allah Most High does not punish us for good intentions. In fact you are rewarded for sincere good intentions even if you don't act upon them.

Also if we make bad intentions and don't act upon them for the sake of Allah Most High we are rewarded but we aren't even punished for bad intentions until we act upon it. Allah Most High is Most Merciful.

Jazak'Allah for your reply :)

are you sure then it's a mad up quote of his? and can you give references of what your saying please? Jazak'Allah

InToTheRain
09-03-2014, 04:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hussein.B
Jazak'Allah for your reply :)

are you sure then it's a mad up quote of his? and can you give references of what your saying please? Jazak'Allah
Ibn Abbas reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, related from his Lord the Blessed and Exalted, “Verily, Allah has recorded good and bad deeds and He made them clear. Whoever intends to perform a good deed but does not do it, then Allah will record it as a complete good deed. If he intends to do it and does so, then Allah the Exalted will record it as ten good deeds up to seven hundred times as much or even more. If he intends to do a bad deed and does not do it, then Allah will record for him one complete good deed. If he does it then Allah will record for him a single bad deed.”

Source: Sahih Bukhari 6126, Sahih Muslim 131

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
09-04-2014, 04:12 AM
Salaams,

The road to hell is paved with good intentions is a proverb or aphorism. An alternative form is "hell is full of good meanings, but heaven is full of good works" Got this from Wikipedia.

It goes on to say - The saying is thought to have originated with Saint Bernard of Clairvaux who wrote (c. 1150), "L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs" (hell is full of good wishes and desires)

So perhaps not exactly Imam Shafie....

Peace :shade:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!