/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Coerced into sex, sinning, and the Rohingya

MuslimInshallah
09-04-2014, 10:22 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

I found the following on the website www.burmamuslims.org

Rohingya women are kept as sex slaves by Burmese military
A British reporter in Burma has found firsthand accounts of Rohingya women being held as sex slaves by the Burmese military.
"Eyewitness testimony of a military camp situated a few miles from Sittwe town(and home to Regiment 270) describes around 20 women ... being held at the camp. One of the witnesses, Amina (name changed), described walking past the camp when she heard voices calling out to her. The imprisoned women asked Amina if she was Muslim; she is.
'Please help us. If you can help us escape from here you will go to jannah (heaven),' one woman told her. 'Many military men come, we can't breathe. We want to become Muslim again. If we stay like this we will go to hell.' The intended meaning of what was said was, Amina felt, clear: these women are being raped,and they don't have to say it explicitly for anyone to understand what's taking place."

The Rohingya are an ethnic and religious (Muslim) minority in Burma. There used to be 5 million of them. There are now 3 million. What has been happening? If you want to know, check out this site. It will tell you... and it will also tell you how you can help (and no, not just with money).

One thing I'd like to address, though, is these women's fear that they are not Muslims and are destined for Hell (are disobeying/rejectingAllah and so will be Rejected by Him)) because they are being forced into sexual relationships outside of marriage. For all women out there who have been coerced into such relationships: this is not true.

Allah says in 24:33 (talking to men):

…Do not force your young women into prostitution/unlawful sexualactivity* if they wish to be chaste, in order that you may seek the frivolities of this worldly life. And if someone forces them, (know that) Allah is Forgiving, Merciful (to the women) after they have been forced.

To all women who are suffering under the guilt that they are sinning when they are coerced...you are not sinning. You are obviously very much Muslims if you want so much to please Allah, that you are agonizing in guilt over what is being done/has been done to you. In fact, not only is Allah Merciful to you, but the word used (rahim), means that He Loves you. He Loves you...

The guilt is not yours. The shame is not yours. The sin is not yours.

The person who is guilty of the major sin of unlawful sexual activity is the man (unless he, too, is being coerced).

---

Anyway, thank you for reading. And please, if you can do anything to help the Rohingya, please do. The above organization can help you to help them.

Jazakallah khairan.

*I translated 'ala-al-bighaa'i as “into unlawful sexual activity”, as the root also offers fornication as a meaning. It also offers oppression and unjust treatment. It is my view that this points to a condemnation not only specifically of prostitution, but any kind of sexual activity that is not permitted. It also, it seems to me, implies that such sexual activity (if non-consensual) is a form of oppression (If consensual, it seems to me, that this implies that the sinners are wronging their own selves). But only Allah truly Knows.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ahmad H
09-05-2014, 04:54 PM
You looked at the verse correctly.

It was reported from Abu Az-Zubair, from Jabir bin ‘Abdullah, that he said: “Musaikah came to some of the Ansar, and said: ‘My master forces me to prostitution.’ So because of that, it was revealed: And do not force your slave girls into prostitution.” [24:33] (Sahih)
[Sunan Abu Dawud, Vol. 3, #2311]

It was reported from Sa’eed bin Abi Al-Hasan, that he said, regarding the Verse: ...and whoever forces them, then indeed, after their compelling, Allah is Ever-Forgiving, Extremely Merciful [24:33] “Allah is forgiving to those who were forced (into this act).” (Da’if)
[Sunan Abu Dawud, Vol. 3, #2312]

It is terrible that these women are being forced into this. Burma is an evil nation. They have been mistreating Muslims badly, and yet the world does nothing about it. Jazakallah for bringing this issue up and reminding me of it. I didn't know the reality was this bad. It's bad enough that the Burmese people are killing Muslims, but raping the Muslim women is a far worse insult.

MuslimInshallah
09-06-2014, 01:08 AM
Actually, the situation there is really bad. The Muslims are prevented from marrying unless they have a hard-to-get license (it's 10 years in jail if they break this law), are not allowed to have more than 2 children, are denied access to schools, employment, are not allowed to go to Jum'a prayers...

You can find out more of what is happening and how to take concrete political actions to help them at Burma Muslims

Thank you for caring.

Pygoscelis
09-09-2014, 06:59 AM
Am I alone in blinking at them asking her "are you Muslim" before anything else? What would they have said next if she was not?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MuslimInshallah
09-09-2014, 05:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Am I alone in blinking at them asking her "are you Muslim" before anything else? What would they have said next if she was not?
(puzzled) I'm not quite sure what you mean... Would you mind expanding on your thought a bit? Who is "she", or "they" for instance? And are you talking about the Rohingya, or…?

Thank you!

Pygoscelis
09-09-2014, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Article
A British reporter in Burma has found firsthand accounts of Rohingya women being held as sex slaves by the Burmese military.
"Eyewitness testimony of a military camp situated a few miles from Sittwe town(and home to Regiment 270) describes around 20 women ... being held at the camp. One of the witnesses, Amina (name changed), described walking past the camp when she heard voices calling out to her. The imprisoned women asked Amina if she was Muslim; she is.
'Please help us. If you can help us escape from here you will go to jannah (heaven),' one woman told her. 'Many military men come, we can't breathe. We want to become Muslim again. If we stay like this we will go to hell.' The intended meaning of what was said was, Amina felt, clear: these women are being raped,and they don't have to say it explicitly for anyone to understand what's taking place."
That is what I was referring to.

hisnameiszzz
09-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Hi,

Well if I was one of the Muslim women that was trapped, the last thing I would want to do is tell the passing woman about my issues especially if she was aligned with one of the Buddhist terrorists. The Buddisht terrorist might go and tell her brethren that the locked up Muslim women were complaining. Lord only knows what these Buddhist terrorists would have done to the Muslim women. They might beat the women up as well as abusing them sexually.

Pygoscelis
09-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Do you assume that because somebody passing by is buddhist, or some other religion, they must be somehow in cahoots with the terrorists? And do you assume that because somebody says they are muslim, they must not be? That makes no sense to me at all.

hisnameiszzz
09-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Do you assume that because somebody passing by is buddhist, or some other religion, they must be somehow in cahoots with the terrorists? And do you assume that because somebody says they are muslim, they must not be? That makes no sense to me at all.
Not necessarily. But please have a look at the website that MUSLIMINSHALLAH has posted. The Muslims Rohingya are beng treated like animals. If I was in a country where people of my faith/nationality were being treated like 50th class citizens, I would be very cautious of people. Not the best way to live, but I would rather be safe than sorry. But to each their own. I don't ask anyone to think like me. I just stated my opinion.

Many thanks.

Abz2000
09-26-2014, 01:28 PM
Please watch Rambo Burma, stallone went there and worked hard on that movie - he was frowned upon by some in the U.S for putting the spotlight on it, but itis a heart wrenching movie that deserves appreciation.

Scimitar
03-20-2015, 04:00 PM
as time goes by, we forget the very causes we stand for due to the NEWS washing over it with even more distractions. And though the Human Rights atrocities were largely ignored by the main stream media - the plight of the Rohinghya and Karen of Burma is still a Human Rights travesty which continues today.

in 2012 I made the following videos in order to show people the reality of the situation as given to us by the refugees.

Please keep the Muslims of Burma in your dua, ameen.

Scimi

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!