/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Observance of prayer during menstruation

Eien
09-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Salaam,

I am unsure of why there is a commonly held belief that women should not pray (or are forbidden from doing so) while the body is in menses. I find no instruction given in the quran. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
09-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Wa alaikum assalaam sister,

The two sources of legislation for our faith, are the Qur'an and sunnah (as recorded in the authentic hadeeth). See the following hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him):

Narrated `Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her):

The Prophet (may the peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to me, "Give up the prayer when your menses begin and when it has finished, wash the blood off your body (take a bath) and start praying

حَدَّثَنَا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ يُونُسَ، عَنْ زُهَيْرٍ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا هِشَامٌ، عَنْ عُرْوَةَ، عَنْ عَائِشَةَ، قَالَتْ قَالَ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ إِذَا أَقْبَلَتِ الْحَيْضَةُ فَدَعِي الصَّلاَةَ، وَإِذَا أَدْبَرَتْ فَاغْسِلِي عَنْكِ الدَّمَ وَصَلِّي ‏"‏‏.‏

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 331
In-book reference : Book 6, Hadith 35
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 1, Book 6, Hadith 327

Hadith - Book of Menstrual Periods - Sahih al-Bukhari - Sunnah.com - Sayings and Teachings of Prophet Muhammad (??? ???? ???? ? ???)

If you need any help with regards to the wider issue of following ahadeeth etc, please do let us know.

MuslimInshallah
09-15-2014, 09:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eien
Salaam,

I am unsure of why there is a commonly held belief that women should not pray (or are forbidden from doing so) while the body is in menses. I find no instruction given in the quran. Can anyone enlighten me on this?
Assalaamu alaikum again, Eien,

You might like to search for yourself at www.searchtruth.com or at the link Insaanah posted (which is better! I am rubbing my hands with glee!!!- Thank you Insaanah, this link is very interesting!) There are also other ahadith that show that women don't pray the regular prayers during menses (you can make other prayers, dua's, though).

May He Bring you enjoyment in your search.

saif-uddin
09-15-2014, 10:09 PM
Barakallahu fiek,

beautiful answer by ukthi Insaanah

:jz:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Insaanah
09-15-2014, 10:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by saif-uddin
:jz:
Wa iyyaak.

format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
Thank you Insaanah, this link is very interesting!)
No problem. This is the main page: Sunnah.com - Sayings and Teachings of Prophet Muhammad

This site is very useful. You can see from the link which hadeeth collections it covers. It is run by the same people who run quran.com They're expanding the number of languages which are available too. You can search in English or Arabic text, and for each hadeeth, when you click on it, you get the Arabic text too, which I feel is really important, the chain of narration (usually fully only in the Arabic though), full reference in Arabic book and English book, and if there's any important point to note about the grading, they give you that too.

May Allah bless and reward their endeavours heavily in their scales of good deeds, and may it be a sadaqah jaariyah (continuing charity) for them, ameen.

Eien
09-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Thank You Insaanah and MuslimInshallah for the references! I really need to get myself a copy of the collections of Haddith. :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!