/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it halal or haram for a Muslim be it Man or Woman to say Oh God or Oh Allah or Oh

truthseeker63
09-19-2014, 06:38 AM
As Salamu Alaykum my question is it halal or haram for a Muslim be it Man or Woman to say Oh God or Oh Allah or Oh my God I am just curious that's all in all Religions they say don't take God's name in vain also in my entire life I have heard people off all religions even Muslims I have heard many people use the words oh God or for many reasons in many contexts anyway I hope my question is clear enough I hope this is not a dumb question I am curious ?

English definition of “(oh my) God!”

(oh my) God!

used to emphasize how surprised, angry, shocked, etc. you are: My God, what a mess!Oh my God, I've never seen anything like it!Taboo interjections (Definition of (oh my) God! from the Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/d...tish/oh-my-god

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
09-19-2014, 08:54 AM
Interesting question!

I have often wondered about this myself. Having studied in the UK for nearly 10 years I often heard people saying that "don't take God's name in vain' and I reflect on many people in my own country all the time doing so....

I concluded for myself the following....

Amongst our prayers is that we die as a muslim, that with our last breath we utter things that professes our faith as opposed to being preoccupied with our worldly things... Hence we tend to make it a habit of saying God's name in vain so that it comes out automatically ... an example would be (a horrible example) moments before you die you shout "Allaah!" as opposed to "Oh ****!". Which would be the preferred last word(s)?

Somehow, the other faiths do not seem to put as much weight on the 'last breath'.

Just to add, this practice is so common here that many people say "laa ilaha illallah' for almost anything and it has been shortened to 'law ilah' and I get all worked up when I hear this and I tell them so! Do not say that! It means there is no God! Finish what you started. And they sheepishly do so. But this is a habit I see that is hard to break.

As I have said, it is only my own conclusion and I could be way, way off.

Peace :shade:

h-n
09-24-2014, 01:02 PM
I am against taking God's name in vain.

When people are saying "Oh my God"-they are not praising God, its used as an expression that something unexpected, bad has happened.

The Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him did not and neither should we, a believer at all times wouldn't be using God's name in vain as its used to praise and remember him and those people are true to respecting and worshipping Allah.

People have used "Oh my God" , when hearing about the sins of other people, and using the example of dying is not accurate, as if a person is dying, it unlikely they would just be thinking in vain, but it would be hard for them to acknowledge in faith and that is where the angels come and question them in their graves and they cannot give an answer as it didn't mean anything by saying "Oh my God". No difference in the end times, when people will be saying God's name but don't worship the Creator, but use it to say that is what people before us used to say-it is of no benefit to them.

I dislike people making excuses for people who are doing a wrong, by trying to make it look like they are doing a harmless, innocent thing, make sure you can repeat what you say on the Day of Judgement, where even all the sinners seeing Hell-fire will not be saying "Oh my God".

Remember Allah and the Day of Judgement much.

truthseeker63
10-09-2014, 11:54 PM
As Salamu Alaykum my question is I have heard is it is ok to say oh God to praise God for something or when something good happens to you or when I know you said many people use Oh God/Oh My God during bad things as an expression or unexpected/shocked/surprised my question is and I don't mean to sound gross but would it be wrong to say Oh God/Oh My God when having Sex/Making Love Im talking about Married Couples not Zina maybe they think they are praising God/thanking God since God his name is Allah created Sex sorry if this question is gross or sounds gross it is the only example I can think of ? A Sister posted this to my question on this other forum. Thank you for your time.

O Allah, protect me from Your punishment on the day Your servants are resurrected.’ (three times)

http://www.islamicfinder.org/supplication.php?cat=16

Christians are the ones who refuse to swear anything by Allah or call out to Him because they consider it 'taking the Lord's name in vain'. So they will swear on bibles, their mother's graves, ect. We don't.

We are forbidden from swearing by anything other than Allah alone, and we don't call out to anyone except Allah alone for help. It's not only halaal to say Allahumma or Ya Allah, but it's encouraged.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...Oh-Allah-or-Oh

I am against taking God's name in vain.

When people are saying "Oh my God"-they are not praising God, its used as an expression that something unexpected, bad has happened.

The Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him did not and neither should we, a believer at all times wouldn't be using God's name in vain as its used to praise and remember him and those people are true to respecting and worshipping Allah.

People have used "Oh my God" , when hearing about the sins of other people, and using the example of dying is not accurate, as if a person is dying, it unlikely they would just be thinking in vain, but it would be hard for them to acknowledge in faith and that is where the angels come and question them in their graves and they cannot give an answer as it didn't mean anything by saying "Oh my God". No difference in the end times, when people will be saying God's name but don't worship the Creator, but use it to say that is what people before us used to say-it is of no benefit to them.

I dislike people making excuses for people who are doing a wrong, by trying to make it look like they are doing a harmless, innocent thing, make sure you can repeat what you say on the Day of Judgement, where even all the sinners seeing Hell-fire will not be saying "Oh my God".

Remember Allah and the Day of Judgement much.

Is it halal or haram for a Muslim be it Man or Woman to say Oh God or Oh Allah or Oh

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
jameelash
10-12-2014, 05:28 AM
i agree with bro truthseeker.i hate wen any one say oh my god.God is universal
word .acommon word used by different religion.but a For Allah it is used only by
muslim.wen one say oh my God it can be attribted any religion commonly except islam.so Allah and asmulhusna shuld be the only names a true muslim shoud utter..Alkahu ahlam

saif-uddin
10-13-2014, 01:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker63
As Salamu Alaykum my question is it halal or haram for a Muslim be it Man or Woman to say Oh God or Oh Allah or Oh my God I am just curious that's all in all Religions they say don't take God's name in vain also in my entire life I have heard people off all religions even Muslims I have heard many people use the words oh God or for many reasons in many contexts anyway I hope my question is clear enough I hope this is not a dumb question I am curious ?

English definition of “(oh my) God!”

(oh my) God!

used to emphasize how surprised, angry, shocked, etc. you are: My God, what a mess!Oh my God, I've never seen anything like it!Taboo interjections (Definition of (oh my) God! from the Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/d...tish/oh-my-god
:wasalam: akhi,

it isn't Haraam to say Oh God! in shock or surprise etc,

but we should note that the Term God is a Generic Term for any being/deity that one worships, (this could be a man, animal or some in-animate object etc)

God translated correctly into Arabic is Ila,

the Word Allah on the other hand is a specific term/name,

it is far better for a Muslim to say Ya Allah! as this is a specific name (as defined in Surah Ikhlas) which only applies to the Lord of all Creation, Allah Subhanahu wata'ala.

:jz:

truthseeker63
10-17-2014, 04:31 AM
As Salamu Alaykum my question is I have heard is it is ok to say oh God to praise God for something or when something good happens to you or when I know you said many people use Oh God/Oh My God during bad things as an expression or unexpected/shocked/surprised my question is and I don't mean to sound gross but would it be wrong to say Oh God/Oh My God when having Sex/Making Love Im talking about Married Couples not Zina maybe they think they are praising God/thanking God since God his name is Allah created Sex sorry if this question is gross or sounds gross it is the only example I can think of ?

Karl
10-19-2014, 11:12 PM
That's an American thing isn't it. In my land people usually just use a line of swear words. For surprise "F@&k me" or "F#@k me dead" is quite popular. No on says "Oh my God". We do have a very high cretin population that uses the word "f@#king" for nearly every adjective. One case when a Dutch immigrant came up before the courts for offending language. He appealed to the judge that he just learnt the language from the locals. The judge saw the logic in this and let him off with a warning.

saif-uddin
11-01-2014, 05:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karl
That's an American thing isn't it. In my land people usually just use a line of swear words. For surprise "F@&k me" or "F#@k me dead" is quite popular. No on says "Oh my God". We do have a very high cretin population that uses the word "f@#king" for nearly every adjective. One case when a Dutch immigrant came up before the courts for offending language. He appealed to the judge that he just learnt the language from the locals. The judge saw the logic in this and let him off with a warning.
Satan/Shaytaan has made fair seeming their foul speech,

The Messenger of Allah - :saws: - said, “Most of the sins of the children of Aadam are from the tongue.” - [At-Tabaraanee (3/87/1-2). Authenticated by al-Haafidh al-Mundhiri in al-Targheeb (4/8)]

Nauzubillah min zaliq

May Allah ta'ala help us to keep our speech clean, free from filth,

ameen

Abz2000
11-01-2014, 07:46 AM
As Muslims we are advised by Allah to "remember the name of God often", and if it's a respectful exclamation then it's ok, like you dropped the phone and shrieked "Ya Allah" or "inna lillah" in fear that it might be cracked.

A kafir would usually call on excrement or hell or illegitimate sex etc
Like oh crap
oh sh*t (a bad habit i'd picked up among kuffar and still unconscously sometimes resort to, but sometimes am able to convert it to "sugar" in mid speech),
Oh f**k
Etc,
It shows the distance they've reached subconsciously as a whole. And i find it especially amusing when i hear people say "oh sh*t" with a wrongass accent here in bangladesh (post colonial land- must seem cool :) )

I read in sahih Muslim that Once a person cursed their slow camel on an expedition and the Messenger of Allah may peace be upon him is reported to have told him to release the camel for a cursed camel shall not accompany us.
This was not just a donkey or mule but a slow camel, at least the equivalent of a second hand ford fiesta these days - just let go of for the curse,
So we should be careful when saying things like "pass me over the God dam*ed cheese will ya" - because it's cursed food, or "i can't walk coz of my God Dam*ed foot". Because if we ever get a chance to physically Strive in God's way, we certainly don't want to be doing it with God Dam*ed feet.
Let's repent to Allah and make amends.

The type of sick language we see practiced and circulated seems to have come into fashion around the (let's make depravity and blasphemy cool and comic) age of the hellfire club, the owner of which had his club disbanded and went on to become masonic grandmaster of england, a position that has later been held by elite members of British royalty - thereby possibly reflecting the way such trends may have been introduced to the proles (sheep-minded "commoners" monkeying "nobility").

Founding figures of America such as benjamin franklin are also recorded to have been guests at such hellfire clubs.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellfire_Club

Found the hadith:

1558.*Abu Barzah Nadlah bin `Ubaid Al-Aslami (May Allah be pleased with him) said: A young woman was riding a she-camel on which there was the luggage of people. Suddenly she saw the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam). The pass of the mountain became narrow for her people (because of fear). The young woman said to the she-camel: "Go ahead.'' When it did not move, she said, "O Allah! Curse it.'' The Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said, "The she-camel that has been cursed should not accompany us.''[Muslim].

http://abdurrahman.org/seerah/riyad/17/chap264.htm

Narrated 'Umar bin Al-Khattab:
During the lifetime of the Prophet there was a man called 'Abdullah whose nickname was Donkey,*and he used to make Allah's Apostle laugh.
*The Prophet lashed him because of drinking (alcohol). And one-day he was brought to the Prophet on the same charge and was lashed.*On that, a man among the people said, "O Allah, curse him !*How frequently he has been brought (to the Prophet on such a charge)!"
The Prophet said,*"Do not curse him, for by Allah, I know for he loves Allah and His Apostle."*

Reference*► Volume 8, Book 81, Number 771: (Sahih Bukhari)*

http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/religious-texts/hadith/bukhari/081-sbt.php

Bukhari 8:768,
Narrated Abu Salama Abu Huraira said,
"A man who drank wine was brought to the Prophet . The Prophet said, 'Beat him!' " Abu Huraira added, "So some of us beat him with our hands, and some with their shoes, and some with their garments (by twisting it) like a lash,
and then when we finished, someone said to him, 'May Allah disgrace you!'
On that the Prophet said, 'Do not say so, for you are helping Satan to overpower him.'

MuslimInshallah
11-01-2014, 11:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by saif-uddin

but we should note that the Term God is a Generic Term for any being/deity that one worships, (this could be a man, animal or some in-animate object etc)

God translated correctly into Arabic is Ila,

the Word Allah on the other hand is a specific term/name,

it is far better for a Muslim to say Ya Allah! as this is a specific name (as defined in Surah Ikhlas) which only applies to the Lord of all Creation, Allah Subhanahu wata'ala.
Assalaamu alaikum Saifuddin,

Respectfully, I must point out that you are incorrect. Ilah translates as god. lowercase G. Al-ilah, contracted to Allah, translates as God. Uppercase G. In English, the capital letter has the same effect as the al in Arabic. Capital G God refers to The One Almighty, Omniscient God.

(smile) Do English-speaking Christians have strange ideas about God manifesting as a human or a holy spirit? Yes, of course, many do (not all, you know). But, you know, Arabic-speaking Christians say Allah. And they still have curious ideas about God.

Personally, I interchangeably use Allah, God, and any of the Divine Qualities (Compassionate, Forgiving, Almighty, etc…) to refer to our Creator. If you insist on only calling God Allah, you are actually playing into the hands of Christian spiritual leaders who insist that Muslims don't believe in God Almighty, but some idol-like deity called Allah. (May He Forgive us!) Yes! Seriously!

So please be careful, especially when speaking for Da'wa purposes. Whether we are speaking of Bog (Russian), Khoda (Persian), Dieu (French), Dios (Spanish), Del (Chechen)… if the native speaker understands this as meaning our All-Powerful Creator, we need to be open to talking in language and ways the hearer will connect to and understand. As the people come to understand what Allah actually means, they will come to use it more and more comfortably. But we can still use the native word, too. It is respectful of a person's language and heritage, I think.

May Allah, the Wise and Knowledgeable, Enrich us with understanding and wisdom.

saif-uddin
11-03-2014, 01:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
Assalaamu alaikum Saifuddin,

Respectfully, I must point out that you are incorrect. Ilah translates as god. lowercase G. Al-ilah, contracted to Allah, translates as God. Uppercase G. In English, the capital letter has the same effect as the al in Arabic. Capital G God refers to The One Almighty, Omniscient God.

(smile) Do English-speaking Christians have strange ideas about God manifesting as a human or a holy spirit? Yes, of course, many do (not all, you know). But, you know, Arabic-speaking Christians say Allah. And they still have curious ideas about God.

Personally, I interchangeably use Allah, God, and any of the Divine Qualities (Compassionate, Forgiving, Almighty, etc…) to refer to our Creator. If you insist on only calling God Allah, you are actually playing into the hands of Christian spiritual leaders who insist that Muslims don't believe in God Almighty, but some idol-like deity called Allah. (May He Forgive us!) Yes! Seriously!

So please be careful, especially when speaking for Da'wa purposes. Whether we are speaking of Bog (Russian), Khoda (Persian), Dieu (French), Dios (Spanish), Del (Chechen)… if the native speaker understands this as meaning our All-Powerful Creator, we need to be open to talking in language and ways the hearer will connect to and understand. As the people come to understand what Allah actually means, they will come to use it more and more comfortably. But we can still use the native word, too. It is respectful of a person's language and heritage, I think.

May Allah, the Wise and Knowledgeable, Enrich us with understanding and wisdom.
:wasalam:

There is No such concept as god with a small g and God with a capital G in Islam,

these are games Christians have played in the Bible denoting several people with small g and others with capital G.

Ila means God and vice versa, and this can be anything a person worships, even his or her desires as Allah ta'ala states.

Allah comes from the word Ila, but it is a specific term, which cannot be attributed to anything in Creation,

it is Explicitely defined in Surah Ikhlas. Which Nullifies all false Gods, this includes Man, Animal, and anything else in creation.

Signor
11-03-2014, 06:23 AM
Assalamu Alaykum

Usually,The word "Allah" is considered to be a combination of a definite article Al ال = in English “The” and illah اله, meaning “God”. We use Al in Arabic to be more specific towards something.However,The famous compiler of Arabic-English Lexicon, E.W. Lane says: ‘ALLAH, according to the most correct of the opinions respecting it, is a proper name, applied to the Being who exists necessarily by Himself, comprising all the attributes of perfection, the AL being inseparable from it’.

I think it is best to understand that one definition for Both God and Allah is "The Supreme being and creator". In that sense they are the same word. However as a name Allah encompasses attributes and qualities beyond the scope of Human comprehension. While both refer to the same Being, they are not exactly the same in meaning. But for translation purposes between Arabic/English they are the only possible way to translate who we are talking about.

Say, "Call upon Allah or call upon the Most Merciful. Whichever [name] you call - to Him belong the best names." And do not recite [too] loudly in your prayer or [too] quietly but seek between that an [intermediate] way. 17:110

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!