/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pro-gay mosque opened in South Africa

Snow
09-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Muslims protest as South Africa's first pro-gay mosque opens in Cape Town » African Spotlight

A Muslim academic has opened a gay-friendly mosque in South Africa, despite receiving death threats and fierce criticism from parts of the local Muslim community.

Cape Town residents exchanged strong words about “open religion” outside what proclaims to be South Africa’s first gender-equal, non-sectarian mosque on Friday.

Around 10 Muslim men in religious robes stood in front of the gate of the Wynberg open mosque, founded by Dr Taj Hargey, refusing to let people in for its inaugural prayer session at 1pm.
One of the mosque-goers, who did not identify himself, pushed through and shouted at the men.
“Is this what we want in Cape Town? No, no. If I fall dead right now, what is going to happen to my children. They are going to enter a mosque like this? Not while I am alive, maybe when I am dead yes,” Vardien said.

He insisted that they were not radicals and had practised their religion peacefully in Cape Town for 300 years.
However, the building should be called an open place of worship and not a mosque, as it insulted the religion.
Hargey’s mosque welcomed all sects of Muslims, non-Muslims and women to take part in the sermon.

Public order policing vans lined the road close to the unassuming green industrial building, sandwiched between auto-repair workshops.

At 1pm, a group of people entered the mosque from a steel gate on the side of the building, accompanied by three police officers and the media.
Inside, people laid their boots and takkies on metal shelves and kneeled on an emerald green carpet laid across half the cement floor.

Women in headscarves gingerly made their way to chairs or the carpet, not separated by partitions or walls.
Bags of cement and building materials were piled to the side and the odour of carpet glue wafted across the room.
The wall was peppered with the words: “There is no deity except God. Muhammed is the messenger of God.” Hargey was to deliver a sermon on the nexus between Islam and Christianity.
Is this a first?
I do not recall a mosque announced as pro-gay.

edit; more to the story.

BBC News - Cape Town pro-gay mosque opens in South Africa

In his sermon Mr Hargey condemned the increasing hatred in the world between Muslims and Christians and blamed it on "warped theology", reports AFP news agency.

When asked about his qualifications as a religious leader he said: "I have a PhD in Islamic studies from Oxford University, unlike my opponents who went to some donkey college in Pakistan or Saudi Arabia."

He told the BBC that he wanted to revive "the original mosque of the Prophet Muhammad, where there were no barriers".

"This idea of female invisibility is an innovation that came after Muhammad, unfortunately it has become entrenched," he said.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Iceee
09-21-2014, 11:05 PM
Alhumdulillah it is great to see many mosques being created. However; This is not a mosque I would visit or do my prayers at.

A Muslim academic has opened a gay-friendly mosque in South Africa, despite receiving death threats and fierce criticism from parts of the local Muslim community.Women will also be allowed to lead prayers at Taj Hargey’s”Open Mosque” in Cape Town.

Source: Mr Hargey, Blog | Naija.io

ardianto
09-22-2014, 12:52 AM
Taj Hargey?

Oh, no! this man again.

:exhausted

MuslimInshallah
09-22-2014, 04:00 AM
Assalaamu alaikum,

I looked this person up online and read some more of his comments, to get a fuller picture of this man. There are very few people whom I dislike. But this is one of them. And I could only think of the following:

Qur'an (Al Baqarah) 2:11

Muhammad Asad

And when they are told, "Do not spread corruption on earth," they answer, "We are but improving things!"

I am shocked by the things this man says. He claims to be trying to make things better… but his language is laced with malice towards Muslims. He uses evocative negative language while claiming to do good for Muslims.

Yes, Muslims need to debate various things on which we have questions. It strengthens our faith, I think. But this must always be done with mutual respect and genuine caring. This man has no love in his heart.

I request that we not use this man's theatrics and venom as a base for discussion.

May Allah Protect us from those who have a sickness in their hearts.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
hisnameiszzz
09-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Salaams.

Don't quote me on this, but I am sure I read on another forum there is one like this in France too.

Abu Zallaq
09-22-2014, 04:43 PM
These are the awliyâ esh-Shaytân of the dark days, doubtlessly.

Snow
09-22-2014, 07:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hisnameiszzz
Salaams.

Don't quote me on this, but I am sure I read on another forum there is one like this in France too.
I will quote you, since you are correct.

France to Open World's First Gay Mosque | Advocate.com

“In normal mosques, women have to sit in the back seats and wear a headscarf and gay men are afraid of both verbal and physical aggression," Zahed told reporters. "After performing the Hajj, I realized that a mosque for gays was a must for gay Muslims who want to perform their prayers.” The new mosque, says Zahed, will not segregate women and women even during prayers.

Zahed's marriage to Qiyam al-Din earlier this year was reportedly approved by an imam and made national headlines after they married (legally) in South Africa but France refused to acknowledge it.

Holly3278
09-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Since I am a Christian, here's a quote from the Bible:

Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter! Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, and shrewd in their own sight! Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine, and valiant men in mixing strong drink, who acquit the guilty for a bribe, and deprive the innocent of his right!
(Isaiah 5:20-23 RSV-CE)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!