/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What's the Best English Translation?

Mr. Black
09-30-2014, 08:56 AM
Hello. I plan on reading the Qur'an sometime in the coming months, when my financial situation allows for me to purchase one. While I wait, I may as well get some perspective. I want to be careful my studies are accurate, so reliable translation is key. If I could ask, which English translation is the best? I imagine no English translation will be perfect, but which one is the best? From what I can tell from my research, the majority of Muslims I've seen seem to prefer the Yusuf Ali translation, and I found a copy on amazon that contains commentary as well. That's the version I'm most interested in at present. But just in case, I'd like to ask your perspective. What's the most accurate English translation of the Qur'an?

Also, I'm uncertain as to the status of the Hadith (or is it Hadeeth?). What is its status within Islam? I hear it talked of, but not as much as the Qur'an. Is it considered scripture? Do Muslims believe it to have been a revelation from Allah?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and for any replies.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MuslimInshallah
10-02-2014, 01:48 AM
Greetings again, Mr.Black,

I had a look at this question on another thread:

What translation do you consider the best?

I hope this helps is helpful to you.

May God Bless you.

jkekeis
10-02-2014, 04:12 AM
I personally have read both the Pickthall and Al-Hilali/Khan versions. I find the one by Drs. Al-Hilali and Khan much easier to read (plus they have plenty of explanatory footnotes). Pickthall's version uses what I call "Bible English" in that it contains a lot of "thy" and other archaic words and there are many verses where the English grammar becomes quite entangled and hard to understand at some points what "he" is referring to.

Signor
10-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Order a free Qur'an in the UK

http://freequraan.co.uk/Order.html

Order a free Qur'an in the USA or Canada:

http://www.allahsquran.com/free/

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
fatimataybia46
11-10-2014, 10:08 AM
There is nothing to worry about your financial problems. Different English Translations are available free of cost. You just need to Google it.

YusufNoor
11-10-2014, 01:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mr. Black
Hello. I plan on reading the Qur'an sometime in the coming months, when my financial situation allows for me to purchase one. While I wait, I may as well get some perspective. I want to be careful my studies are accurate, so reliable translation is key. If I could ask, which English translation is the best? I imagine no English translation will be perfect, but which one is the best? From what I can tell from my research, the majority of Muslims I've seen seem to prefer the Yusuf Ali translation, and I found a copy on amazon that contains commentary as well. That's the version I'm most interested in at present. But just in case, I'd like to ask your perspective. What's the most accurate English translation of the Qur'an?

Also, I'm uncertain as to the status of the Hadith (or is it Hadeeth?). What is its status within Islam? I hear it talked of, but not as much as the Qur'an. Is it considered scripture? Do Muslims believe it to have been a revelation from Allah?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and for any replies.
Greetings Mr Black,

Thank you for inquiring about our religion. personally, i would avoid Yusuf Ali's translation. most early English translations were based on Pickthall. i'd recommend 2. the first is inexpensive and very readable:

http://al-quraan.org/english-transla...cf44979229936b

i hope this helps.

ma salama

the second is Muksin Khan:

http://www.noblequran.com/translation/

one of the problems with Ali, is that it is written in similar for to the King James Bible. it ranks high on literary value, but not necessarily accuracy. his "commentary" is not based on scholarship, but his opinion. the first one is very readable and was done by committee. there is a gaff, or 2, in translation, that you, as an English speaker, would catch. but overall, the hardbound edition is very informative. there is a section on the history of early Islam. Muhsin Khan is a translation that works well for research. many Arabic words are offered as multiple translations, so you can see the different readings, depending on how the word is used.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!