/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Diwali/Eid Celebration

drblue91
10-08-2014, 05:05 AM
My school is having a joint Diwali/Eid celebration. Since I am muslim they have asked me to participate in the organization of it. How can we incorporate both holidays without stepping over the boundaries of shirk?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MuslimInshallah
10-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Assalaamu alaikum my dear,

What you have been asked to do is not respectful of either faith tradition. It implies that both holidays have no meaning, and are just an excuse for a party. To give an analogy, both secular holidays of Remembrance day and Halloween are close together in time. However, it would be unthinkable to celebrate both on the same day. These two days are very different in meaning.

I would suggest that you consult open-hearted and knowledgeable Muslim adults in your community, and that you find similar allies in the Hindu community. If both communities unite to respectfully and firmly point out this inappropriateness, I think you could make your point with the school authorities: Both faith traditions should be respected, and the celebrations held on different days, to honour their different meanings.

May Allah, the Guide, Help you find a just and harmonious solution.

Predator
10-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Celebrating Diwali is haraam as its a festival of disbelievers . Please ask them to exempt you from the celebration.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!