/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Marhaban

Eshai
10-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Hello, Everyone.

I am Eshai. I registered here to learn more about Islam from actual Muslims. I feel there is more to learn from people than from published literature about the religion. When I was young, I was friends with a number of children who were being raised Muslim, but we never talked about the religion. When I came of age I joined the Army and eventually learned the basics of modern standard Arabic.

My current view of Islam is colored by the perspective of how I have been taught to view the religion, and I would like to see it in a new light. Where I live Muslims are hated, however, those who hate them inevitably fail to be knowledgeable in the way of Islam. I have read the Quran, but I still feel there is more to be gained from interaction with Muslims themselves in order for me to gain their perspective on their own religion.

I look forward to our future conversations.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
10-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the forum.

There's plenty of threads with many questions from non Muslims here. Many questions from Muslims, too.

Wishing you a great stay whilst you browse through. May you find what you are looking for.

Peace :shade:

MuslimInshallah
10-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Eshai,

(smile) It is a pleasure to meet you. Welcome to the Forum. Please feel free to look through the archived threads, as well as to post any questions you may have. You will find that different people have different perspectives. And this is part of the richness of life.

(smile) I have read that in Classical times, it was said that the Qur'an is the mirror of the soul. That is, what a person finds there reflects who the person is. If a person is sincerely looking for guidance on how to get close to God, they will find it. But if, for instance, a person is looking to find justifications for malfeasance, they will twist what is there, and completely miss finding God.

(smile) As we humans are very much less than perfect, you will find that everyone has their weaknesses. Interacting with Muslims has certainly it's merits (and please, by all means, feel free to talk with us), but interacting with the Qur'an is the best way to find Islam, in my opinion. You mentioned that you have studied basic MSA. Have you tried using this knowledge to try to read the Qur'an in it's original Arabic? It is so much richer and more beautiful… if you like, I can share with you some little tips on how you might do this.

Anyway, welcome again.

May God, the Bountiful Opener of hearts, Help you find what you are seeking. And more.

Scimitar
10-23-2014, 01:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eshai
Hello, Everyone.
Hi Eshai, I'm Scimi :)

I am Eshai. I registered here to learn more about Islam from actual Muslims. I feel there is more to learn from people than from published literature about the religion. When I was young, I was friends with a number of children who were being raised Muslim, but we never talked about the religion. When I came of age I joined the Army and eventually learned the basics of modern standard Arabic.

My current view of Islam is colored by the perspective of how I have been taught to view the religion, and I would like to see it in a new light. Where I live Muslims are hated, however, those who hate them inevitably fail to be knowledgeable in the way of Islam.
This is very common, ignorance breeds fear and hatred in people - knowledge closes the gap between hearts because we come to realise we are all the same, human beings failing at being human. And that realisation, breeds something very special in ones heart - empathy. A beautiful understanding of ones plight.

I have read the Quran, but I still feel there is more to be gained from interaction with Muslims themselves in order for me to gain their perspective on their own religion.

I look forward to our future conversations.
Me too, to be fair I am impressed that even after you had joined the army and been taught to view Muslims as the enemy - you've exercised your right to use your own intellect in order to arrive at a truth you can live with - you have my respect!

Scimi

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Eshai
10-23-2014, 04:06 PM
Wa alikum alsalaam.

Thank you all for the replies. You've all made me feel very welcome.

format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
Have you tried using this knowledge to try to read the Qur'an in it's original Arabic? It is so much richer and more beautiful… if you like, I can share with you some little tips on how you might do this.
I have not. It has been many years since I have read Arabic, and reading it now takes a great deal of time and effort. Speaking was far easier for me, so I might benefit by listening to a recording of the Qur'an being read--after I have taken more time to study it in my native English. Nevertheless, I would still be open to any advice you may share. =) Shookran.

Scimi, your comment is greatly appreciated.

format_quote Originally Posted by Scimi
arrive at a truth you can live with
I cannot imagine arriving at any truth which I could not be able to live with, if it is really the truth. I believe that if a person has the truth they will always make the right decision.

Muslim Woman
10-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Hello

Welcome here. Pl. browse the forum and feel free to ask about Islam .

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!