/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ipad/tablet?

BeTheChange
11-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Asalamualykum everyone.

For those who are techy minded just wanted your views please. I will be buying either an ipad or tablet soon but i really don't know which model or which brand to buy.

These are my thoughts;

The apple company is a global company but i have heard the apple symbolises the event when Adam pbuh ate the apple (May Allah swa forgive him Ameen) and therefore represents evil and satanic way of life. I know there's a lot of companies out there who support Israel and we should boycott them - but what is everyone thoughts around this area? Should we invest our money in this brand? If yes, which is the best one to buy?

An alternative would be buying a tablet. So whats the difference between a tablet and ipad?

The main purpose for buying one is to use the internet (visit islamicboard.com :D), take pictures (lots and lots of pictures - food diary, scenery, places etc), listening to audio lectures etc. Just for general usage really - not for business purposes.

Any advice, tips, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jazahka Allah as always

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
introspective
11-04-2014, 02:41 AM
Alaikum al-salaam ukhti,

I wouldn't get too caught up about "investing". The corporate and political machines fuel each other, believe it or not.

The iPad is a tablet designed and sold by Apple. There's no "best" tablet to buy- it's subjective and depends on your habits. A tablet can cost as much as a laptop.

Personally, a tablet won't fit into my usage habits. It'd be redundant b/c I have a pretty capable smartphone that can take decent pics, shoot video, store memos/tasks, view news feeds (w/ Taptu app), browse the internet, and stream tilawat.

Anyway, are you more familiar with Android, iOS, or Windows? If you don't mind me asking, do you also have a laptop and/or a desktop, and what are your usage habits?

ahsankhan
11-04-2014, 07:22 AM
Apple is just a name and believe me a real hyped with and very expensive tech gadgets.

you want control on your device and everything you use go for android tablets, they are super cool to use, plus lot's of free apps in google play store.

there are lot's of brands in android tablets but i will suggest you go for samsung or sony. shukran

Snow
11-04-2014, 11:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahsankhan
Apple is just a name and believe me a real hyped with and very expensive tech gadgets.

you want control on your device and everything you use go for android tablets, they are super cool to use, plus lot's of free apps in google play store.

there are lot's of brands in android tablets but i will suggest you go for samsung or sony. shukran
I agree with this one.
Android is much more open (costs also less) and has much more free apps than apple. Apple also is known for being really awful with flash players.

I agree with Samsung and LG is also very good.
A friend of mine has bad things to say about Sony but I have not tried them out.

The only good thing I have to say about the ipads, is that they have good batteries.
So look out for a tablet with good batteries - if you are going to use it for heavier usage.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BeTheChange
11-04-2014, 08:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by introspective
Alaikum al-salaam ukhti,

I wouldn't get too caught up about "investing". The corporate and political machines fuel each other, believe it or not.

The iPad is a tablet designed and sold by Apple. There's no "best" tablet to buy- it's subjective and depends on your habits. A tablet can cost as much as a laptop.

Personally, a tablet won't fit into my usage habits. It'd be redundant b/c I have a pretty capable smartphone that can take decent pics, shoot video, store memos/tasks, view news feeds (w/ Taptu app), browse the internet, and stream tilawat.

Anyway, are you more familiar with Android, iOS, or Windows? If you don't mind me asking, do you also have a laptop and/or a desktop, and what are your usage habits?
walaikumasalaam. Jazahka Allah for taking the time out to reply.

I have a laptop but i can't use that on-the go. I want to buy a device which allows you to use when your out and about. I'm not a heavy user of the phone. I rarely use it to be honest. To give you an idea of how rare i use it i charge my phone once/twice every month - either that's an indicator of me using it very little or an amazing battery. I have a Nokia old phone. Nokia C3 it's very old - i can access internet and take pictures but very low quality pictures. I rarely use my phone that's why it's important for me to invest and buy an ipad or tablet so i can take pictures, access net, download etc.

Am not familiar with Android, IOS or Windows - forgive me for my ignorance lol :embarrass - Am not a heavy user of tech devices to be honest hence, the creation of this thread. I don't want to buy a smart phone if am honest. I know i can do as much if not more by buying a smart phone but i don't like the lastest phones. Just looking for advice on which ipad or tablet i should buy in sha Allah. I like the reasonable sized screens and the fact that you can take it outside with you and surf the net etc.

I have noticed retailers sell ipads/tablets - one with internet and one without. I probably buy the one without internet as i have access to wifi at work and at home i can connect to home broadband in sha Allah.

Usage habits - i would be using it everyday to surf the internet, download documentaries on iplayer, download audio from youtube - lots of downloading, storing pictures and listening to audio. I haven't come across an unlimited usage ipad or tablet they all come with restrictions - which one would you recommend? Sorry for asking so many questions am clueless in this area. :heated:

format_quote Originally Posted by ahsankhan

Asalamualykum. jazahka Allah for your input. I've just googled android tablets both samsung and sony they look very nice. Will definitely consider this ins sha Allah. Which make is better in battery do you know?

format_quote Originally Posted by Snow
I agree with this one.
Android is much more open (costs also less) and has much more free apps than apple. Apple also is known for being really awful with flash players.

I agree with Samsung and LG is also very good.
A friend of mine has bad things to say about Sony but I have not tried them out.

The only good thing I have to say about the ipads, is that they have good batteries.
So look out for a tablet with good batteries - if you are going to use it for heavier usage.
Asalamualykum Snow - jazahka Allah for your advice and suggestions.

So Samsung or LG. I do want a device with really good battery life that's the main feature that am looking for tbh. I'll have a look into Samsung and LG jazahka Allah.

One question i do have is will tablets allow you to use Microsoft office?

Jazahka Allah everyone for taking the time out. I really appreciate your help!

Snow
11-04-2014, 09:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fighting Nafs
One question i do have is will tablets allow you to use Microsoft office?

Jazahka Allah everyone for taking the time out. I really appreciate your help!

I have not tried out the office package but looking at the market for android, it seems to be available: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...fficehub&hl=en

It scores pretty well.

Scimitar
11-04-2014, 09:28 PM
as an app developer, personally I would go with google's android platform.

Apple make good pretty looking tech, but when it comes to customising your experience - you're limited, severely...

when it comes to android - you have a plethora of manufacturers whom you will be familiar with to choose from. Further, you have customisation options that leave apple fanboys (and girls) feeling slightly jilted over.

Scimi

introspective
11-04-2014, 11:52 PM
This deal would have been good but HTC has none left in stock....

introspective
11-05-2014, 12:18 AM
If you're heading towards the Android camp, I would get a Google device (e.g. Nexus) rather than buying from the top OEM's (e.g., Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony). The OEM's tend to provide bloatware and their own customized versions of Android that may degrade performance and take up storage space. A Google device has a bare or "clean" version of Android OS (doesn't have bloatware). Although the OEM's may have their proprietary apps for the camera, streaming music, DLNA (stream media from your device to your network), and so forth, I think you could make do without them and find comparable apps on Google's Play Store.

As for productivity (Microsoft Office), you can use MS Office Mobile (free) or Google Docs (free).

In fact, why don't you browse through the Play store (play.google.com)?

You could look at the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 (available w/ either Android or Windows).

Scimitar
11-05-2014, 12:24 AM
nexus is hot stuff... soon as it releases - it flies off the shelf. I really wanted the nexus phone. :(

introspective
11-05-2014, 12:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
nexus is hot stuff... soon as it releases - it flies off the shelf. I really wanted the nexus phone. :(

The Nexus line of smartphones were a good value (Amazon's price for the Nexus 7 vs other flagships).

Too bad that the Nexus 6 will be just as expensive as the other flagships (S5, Z3, One M8, G3 etc): http://wccftech.com/google-nexus-6-price-release-date/

fatimataybia46
11-05-2014, 10:39 AM
I think you have misconception about the Apple. There is no such relationship as you think. Apple is a big company, the brand of Apple has nothing to do with the evil.

iPad is larger than tablet, however, you may take it as a tablet.

Asalamualykum everyone.

For those who are techy minded just wanted your views please. I will be buying either an ipad or tablet soon but i really don't know which model or which brand to buy.

These are my thoughts;

The apple company is a global company but i have heard the apple symbolises the event when Adam pbuh ate the apple (May Allah swa forgive him Ameen) and therefore represents evil and satanic way of life. I know there's a lot of companies out there who support Israel and we should boycott them - but what is everyone thoughts around this area? Should we invest our money in this brand? If yes, which is the best one to buy?

An alternative would be buying a tablet. So whats the difference between a tablet and ipad?

The main purpose for buying one is to use the internet (visit islamicboard.com :D), take pictures (lots and lots of pictures - food diary, scenery, places etc), listening to audio lectures etc. Just for general usage really - not for business purposes.

Any advice, tips, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jazahka Allah as always

Snow
11-05-2014, 09:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by fatimataybia46
I think you have misconception about the Apple. There is no such relationship as you think. Apple is a big company, the brand of Apple has nothing to do with the evil.

iPad is larger than tablet, however, you may take it as a tablet.

Apple is mostly owned by jews, as far as I know.
Just stating a fact. Moderators and posters can take that any way they want.

BeTheChange
11-05-2014, 09:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by introspective
If you're heading towards the Android camp, I would get a Google device (e.g. Nexus) rather than buying from the top OEM's (e.g., Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony). The OEM's tend to provide bloatware and their own customized versions of Android that may degrade performance and take up storage space. A Google device has a bare or "clean" version of Android OS (doesn't have bloatware). Although the OEM's may have their proprietary apps for the camera, streaming music, DLNA (stream media from your device to your network), and so forth, I think you could make do without them and find comparable apps on Google's Play Store.

As for productivity (Microsoft Office), you can use MS Office Mobile (free) or Google Docs (free).

In fact, why don't you browse through the Play store (play.google.com)?

You could look at the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 (available w/ either Android or Windows).
Asalamualykum brother,

jazahka Allah for your advice. :-)

I've googled Nexus and came across this

Nexus 9 (32GB, Wi-Fi, Indigo Black)

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_9_32GB_Wi_Fi_Indigo_Black?id=nexus_9_black_3 2gb_wifi

It has 32GB - comes with 2 options either wi-fi or LTE (googled this - LTE, an abbreviation for Long-Term Evolution, commonly marketed as 4G LTE, is a standard for wireless communication of high-speed data for mobile phones and data terminals)

Is the LTE the best one to purchase? I like the above design of the Nexus looks smart shall we go for this one?

One last question and i won't bug you anymore - where shall i buy it from? Usually there is a brand store but i've never come across the Nexus brand. Please advise. Jazahka Allah everyone for taking time out to reply.Your all very kind. May Allah swa reward you in this life and the next Ameen.

Scimitar
11-06-2014, 03:19 AM
yes LTE is the best one... one more thing I forgot to mention, the androids have MUCH BETTER pixel resolution than apples do - so even with a smaller screen you don't have eye strain with android.

I miss data from star trek generations lol he was an android, google will invent him in a few hundred years lol

introspective
11-06-2014, 05:15 AM
Asalamualykum brother,

jazahka Allah for your advice. :-)

I've googled Nexus and came across this

Nexus 9 (32GB, Wi-Fi, Indigo Black)

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_9_32GB_Wi_Fi_Indigo_Black?id=nexus_9_black_3 2gb_wifi

It has 32GB - comes with 2 options either wi-fi or LTE (googled this - LTE, an abbreviation for Long-Term Evolution, commonly marketed as 4G LTE, is a standard for wireless communication of high-speed data for mobile phones and data terminals)

Is the LTE the best one to purchase? I like the above design of the Nexus looks smart shall we go for this one?

One last question and i won't bug you anymore - where shall i buy it from? Usually there is a brand store but i've never come across the Nexus brand. Please advise. Jazahka Allah everyone for taking time out to reply.Your all very kind. May Allah swa reward you in this life and the next Ameen.
Alaikum al-salaam,

If I'm not mistaken, you live in the UK?

You can look at Amazon but I don't think their prices will differ from the Play Store (yet Amazon has a reputation for fluctuating prices).

As for getting standalone Wi-Fi or LTE enabled N9, that's up to you. I'll share w/ you my perspective so that it doesn't sound overly technical, and hopefully you'll come to an understanding.

In the U.S., if I were to buy a N9 w/ LTE, I'd have to add it to my existing AT&T Mobile Share Plan. So, there is $25/device + $10 for access to my data plan on a monthly basis. You see where I'm going with this? Cellular network access and data allotment pricing may vary in the UK (which I understand has more reasonable pricing in comparison to what major U.S. wireless carriers offer- well T-Mobile in the U.S. is trying to entice Verizon's and AT&T's subscribers). So if you opt for LTE, you'll have to consider paying monthly for LTE access on top of the purchase price of the N9.

I see that you're pretty much in favor of the N9. It's a pretty good choice b/c it's the first Android device using Nvidia's 64-bit processor and a 64-bit Android OS (other than the iPhone 5S and newer having a 64-bit SoC, other Android phones don't have 64-bit chips). Nexus devices get Android firmware updates first. The OEM's issue Android updates much later because they have to make sure the updates are compatible with their custom apps and proprietary boot loader.

IMO, I would stay away from Samsung, Sony, LG b/c they seem to add fluff, no substance, and your money will be going to their hefty marketing department. If I had to buy from an OEM, it would be Asus, Lenovo, Toshiba (may be), or Dell (at the right price), and their tech support is pretty good.

Don't worry, you're not bugging me. I welcome your queries. In fact, I'm getting good practice in trying to communicate in simpler terms rather than bore you with technical jargon of computing and business.

MarlaJohnson
11-06-2014, 06:18 AM
Well I m using Samsung.. So i suggest to buy Samsung

BeTheChange
11-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Jazahka Allah your all very kind. I popped into Curry's today and saw the GOOGLE Nexus 9 - 32 GB, Black it's a reasonably sized screen and the pictures were of high quality. Really like it. :-) I'll wait around xmas time and see if the price drops. In sha Allah will buy it soon. The sales rep said you can't use any external hard drive on this tablet but it's not too bad. You can always use the virtual i-cloud and save and transfer data through that or emails etc.

Brother introspective yes am from UK - most likely will buy it from Curry's in-store. It comes with one years manufacturers guarantee and on top of that you pay £8 to cover accidental damage. Might opt in for that as well. See what happens.

You've helped my find an alternative product - rather than buying Apple and this is what i needed/wanted the most. An alternative product. Am very happy with all the feedback brothers & sisters.

Jazahka Allah all for taking the time out to reply. You've really helped me decide. May Allah swa help you all in your time of need Ameen.

introspective
11-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Jazahka Allah your all very kind. I popped into Curry's today and saw the GOOGLE Nexus 9 - 32 GB, Black it's a reasonably sized screen and the pictures were of high quality. Really like it. :-) I'll wait around xmas time and see if the price drops. In sha Allah will buy it soon. The sales rep said you can't use any external hard drive on this tablet but it's not too bad. You can always use the virtual i-cloud and save and transfer data through that or emails etc.

Brother introspective yes am from UK - most likely will buy it from Curry's in-store. It comes with one years manufacturers guarantee and on top of that you pay £8 to cover accidental damage. Might opt in for that as well. See what happens.

You've helped my find an alternative product - rather than buying Apple and this is what i needed/wanted the most. An alternative product. Am very happy with all the feedback brothers & sisters.

Jazahka Allah all for taking the time out to reply. You've really helped me decide. May Allah swa help you all in your time of need Ameen.
Wa iyyaki.

Correct, you'll have to compromise with the lack of external storage options (e.g., SD card) and use file hosts like Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, etc.

However, with Nexus and Google Play Edition devices, you don't have to put up with unnecessary apps that you'd find in other Android tablets. Are you going to get standalone Wi-Fi or LTE?

I hope that all goes well and may Allah guide you in the right path.

BeTheChange
11-10-2014, 10:07 PM
Most likely the wi-fi Comet doesn't offer the LTE but i don't think this would be of use to me. Am happy to connect to wifi at home and wifi at work. Jazahka allah so soooo much for your advice and help!

It would have taken me ages to surf around the net and even then i wouldn't have been able to decide :p

Too many tablets/ipads to choose from - jazahka Allah for making the choice easy for me! :-)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!