PDA

View Full Version : Tv?



anonymous
11-04-2014, 03:51 AM
Salam everyone,

This may sound so trivial but I would like some advice.
I love crime movies, thrillers, horror etc. Mostly crime though and every now and then there's a new series on TV. Now, the problem is I watch them and nude scenes will suddenly come up and ill change and wait for it to pass and then carry on watching to follow the storyline. Is this haram of me? What can I do to prevent myself getting so caught up in wanting to watch these series? It annoys me these stupid scenes but I think I have come to realise that I could be committing so many sins by watching this. What's your opinion about this and other series/movies? Give me some advice to control myself in not wanting to start watching these.

Thank you all.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MuslimInshallah
11-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,


(smile) I know, crime stories can be quite fun, can't they? Trying to figure out who did what and all the plot twists.


Allah Gave us curiosity and intelligence and a desire to problem-solve. That some of us should enjoy using these talents to solve crimes and psychological puzzles is not a problem, in my opinion. And I congratulate you on your sincerity to please Allah that causes you to think about this and want to find a solution.


(sigh) You are right, so many shows feel the need to show a lot of unnecessary skin and cruelty. I myself do not have a television, but we do watch things on the computer. We sometimes watch and cover the screen when there is inappropriate content, but frankly, this isn't ideal, because by the time you realize something is not right, you've already seen it. So we tend to stop watching those movies altogether if we realize there are going to be such scenes. Because (sigh), if there is one inappropriate part, there'll probably be others. And the more you see, the more normalized it becomes, and your boundaries are stretched into accepting things you should not.


So what to do? Well, you could perhaps try checking out a new show, and if it has scenes, just avoid it in the future. You could also try reading crime stories/thrillers instead. There may still be inappropriate scenes, but the impact is less powerful than actually seeing them, and you can identify such a scene right at the beginning, and skip it more easily.


You could also, perhaps, try looking for thrillers/mysteries in other languages with subtitles. I've seen some movies/shows from Iran, and the actors are fully clothed. And as an added benefit, they have an Islamic flavour, too. Perhaps this might help (I haven't searched for this genre myself, so I don't know)?


(Smile) But perhaps most interesting of all would be to find out about real forensics and policework. (smile) One of my children just took a forensics-for-kids class, and you should have seen how much fun those 9-11 year-olds had with learning about how to use fingerprints, insect evidence, marks of violence, etc! And then applying it in the last class to an actual case. (laugh) I would never have expected them to discuss a murder-by-strangling with such enthusiasm...!


I'm pretty sure that you could find books and videos and classes about real-life mysteries to positively engage your interest. And in the end, I suspect they would be a lot more filling, too. Fluff is like junk food… it gives you a buzz, but it keeps you craving for more.

And... (twinkle) who knows, perhaps you'll be able to help solve a real crime one day? And that might bring some good into the world... and good for you in the Next, inshallah.


May Allah, the Restorer, Guide you in your choices.
Reply

Scimitar
11-04-2014, 03:46 PM
I watch world cinema - it's much better than the cliche'd Hollywood crap. However, in some cases the nudity can be quite grotesque - I watched this film called Ichi the Killer - it was so disgusting, I stopped watching anything to do with japan for a full year approx.

Bottom line - check the rating.

Scimi
Reply

Snow
11-04-2014, 04:37 PM
People eating bacon/ham..., people getting drunk and so on happens during every day life in my environment, that has nothing to do with movies and I do not go and mimic that behavior.
I watch all kinds of movies with things that I do not associate with.

If I was a very influential person, I would avoid it.

But I think any rational person would know the difference between art and everyday life.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
ardianto
11-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Assalamualaikum

Movies are made for entertainment purpose, not educational. That's why movies often show scenes that actually unnecessary like nude scene.

But how about documentaries?. If you want to learn about crimes, it's better if watch documentaries which based on real cases than watch movies which really fiction and often show actions that actually not realistic. I was a naughty boy and I have done many crazy and stupid things. So I know that many action scenes in movies are actually impossible to be done in reality. And I don't want to be deceived by movies. That's why I prefer documentaries than movies. :)

No, no, I do not encourage you to be naughty. But I suggest you to have more activities that "active" like sport, gardening, handycraft making, etc, ... not activity that "passive" like watching movies. Actually what makes you addicted to spend your times in front of TV is because you don't have enough "active" activities.

Is there "active" activity that you like?.
Reply

MuslimInshallah
11-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Assalaamu alaikum all,

(twinkle) No one is influenced by advertising, either (at least, few like to admit to themselves that they are)… however, there is a huge amount of money poured into advertising. If it has no influence, why bother to spend and create it?

(sigh) The truth is, we humans are all very influenceable. In every culture around the world, our wise sayings attest to this truth. We are urged to be cautious as to whose company we keep.

When we are watching a movie or other entertainment, this is a form of companionship. And as we are very visual sort of creatures; what we see is very important. We tend to believe what we see. (smile) Oh yes! We know it is not real…and yet we are influenced, nonetheless. (smile) Good Art (I mean effective Art), Snow, is supposed to move you, influence you...

In the Prophet's (PBUH) time, there was no TV. But there was a lot of poetry and storytelling. And this was considered a powerful force for influencing people. Indeed, it was considered part of warfare. And if words that conjure images could be this powerful…what do you think is the effect of actual images with the words?

(sigh) When I was a child (in Britain; admittedly, I went to Catholic girls' schools, so we were perhaps a bit shielded), it was considered extremely rude to even say d---. How things have changed… I remember (in Canada) when a new TV show was proposed called "The Simpsons", there was much debate. Some people worried that it's crudeness and vulgarity could influence people negatively. These people were mostly mocked. And yet… it seems to me that the level of vulgarity and crudeness and foul language has been increasing in society over the years. People I would never have expected to swear, now do so without noticing. (sad) I notice that even on a site like this Forum, people use language that is not beautiful. And they are Muslims, too...

(smile) I suppose some may think I'm just old-fashioned. But I ask you: look at movies and books through history that were aimed at the mainstream (there have always been specialized genres for those who sought them). Can you not see that what is considered acceptable in general society has changed over time? How yesterday's shocking becomes todays norm? Why do you think this is?

Please, my brothers and sisters in Islam, think about what you watch, what you spend your time doing, what you say. Try to imagine: would you be shocked if the Prophet (PBUH) said or did this? Furthermore, would you be embarrassed if you had to watch or do or say this over again in front of everyone else? Or in front of Allah, the Judge, on That Day of Accounting?

Because that's what's going to happen...

May Allah, the Pardoner Who Loves Beauty, have Mercy on us, and Guide us to His Pure Light.
Reply

Snow
11-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
Assalaamu alaikum all,

(twinkle) No one is influenced by advertising, either (at least, few like to admit to themselves that they are)… however, there is a huge amount of money poured into advertising. If it has no influence, why bother to spend and create it?

(sigh) The truth is, we humans are all very influenceable. In every culture around the world, our wise sayings attest to this truth. We are urged to be cautious as to whose company we keep.

When we are watching a movie or other entertainment, this is a form of companionship. And as we are very visual sort of creatures; what we see is very important. We tend to believe what we see. (smile) Oh yes! We know it is not real…and yet we are influenced, nonetheless. (smile) Good Art (I mean effective Art), Snow, is supposed to move you, influence you...

In the Prophet's (PBUH) time, there was no TV. But there was a lot of poetry and storytelling. And this was considered a powerful force for influencing people. Indeed, it was considered part of warfare. And if words that conjure images could be this powerful…what do you think is the effect of actual images with the words?

(sigh) When I was a child (in Britain; admittedly, I went to Catholic girls' schools, so we were perhaps a bit shielded), it was considered extremely rude to even say d---. How things have changed… I remember (in Canada) when a new TV show was proposed called "The Simpsons", there was much debate. Some people worried that it's crudeness and vulgarity could influence people negatively. These people were mostly mocked. And yet… it seems to me that the level of vulgarity and crudeness and foul language has been increasing in society over the years. People I would never have expected to swear, now do so without noticing. (sad) I notice that even on a site like this Forum, people use language that is not beautiful. And they are Muslims, too...

(smile) I suppose some may think I'm just old-fashioned. But I ask you: look at movies and books through history that were aimed at the mainstream (there have always been specialized genres for those who sought them). Can you not see that what is considered acceptable in general society has changed over time? How yesterday's shocking becomes todays norm? Why do you think this is?

Please, my brothers and sisters in Islam, think about what you watch, what you spend your time doing, what you say. Try to imagine: would you be shocked if the Prophet (PBUH) said or did this? Furthermore, would you be embarrassed if you had to watch or do or say this over again in front of everyone else? Or in front of Allah, the Judge, on That Day of Accounting?

Because that's what's going to happen...

May Allah, the Pardoner Who Loves Beauty, have Mercy on us, and Guide us to His Pure Light.
I like your post and I somewhat agree with it.
Unfortunately looking the other way does not work for everyone. I wish it did work like that. Especially knowing many people that have gone the wrong path.

I think that by overly banning something, it makes things interesting and the curious people that go the wrong path have a hard time knowing where the line is.
Lets say that cannabis is bad and cocaine is bad. The teenager that tries out cannabis does wonder "hey, it was not as bad as the people went on about". "Why not try the next one/cocaine? since both are considered just as bad".
As one stepped over the line, why not keep going?

I hope I am not generalising too much, but that is how I saw things happening as a teenager. Very often, sadly.
Not as a rule but I got that as a feeling.
Reply

MuslimInshallah
11-05-2014, 01:43 AM
Originally Posted by Snow
I like your post and I somewhat agree with it.
Unfortunately looking the other way does not work for everyone. I wish it did work like that. Especially knowing many people that have gone the wrong path.

I think that by overly banning something, it makes things interesting and the curious people that go the wrong path have a hard time knowing where the line is.
Lets say that cannabis is bad and cocaine is bad. The teenager that tries out cannabis does wonder "hey, it was not as bad as the people went on about". "Why not try the next one/cocaine? since both are considered just as bad".
As one stepped over the line, why not keep going?

I hope I am not generalising too much, but that is how I saw things happening as a teenager. Very often, sadly.
Not as a rule but I got that as a feeling.
Assalaamu alaikum Snow,

(smile) Thank you for your appreciation. (twinkle) Did I say to ban something?

I offered that we should not, if we are believers, indulge in things that we know would make us feel ashamed in front of Allah. Can we who hope to be counted as believers, justify swearing or watching things that are sacred between spouses? Is it really ok?

Should we not try to restrain ourselves? And repent and seek Allah's Protection when we have moments of weakness?

May Allah, the Repeatedly Forgiving, have Mercy on us all.
Reply

Snow
11-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
Assalaamu alaikum Snow,

(smile) Thank you for your appreciation. (twinkle) Did I say to ban something?

I offered that we should not, if we are believers, indulge in things that we know would make us feel ashamed in front of Allah. Can we who hope to be counted as believers, justify swearing or watching things that are sacred between spouses? Is it really ok?

Should we not try to restrain ourselves? And repent and seek Allah's Protection when we have moments of weakness?

May Allah, the Repeatedly Forgiving, have Mercy on us all.
Wa salaam alaikum.
No, you did not and I am sorry if you took it personally.
I was writing about things in general. That is why I wrote
I hope I am not generalising too much
but I guess I am guilty of it.
Sorry.
Reply

ardianto
11-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Movies often inspire people to do something. It can be for something good, it can be for something bad. Depend on what shown in movie. But unfortunately, usually people prefer to take inspiration for something bad rather than for something good.

Like I've said, I have done many crazy and stupid things when I was young. And yes, I took inspiration from movies although then I realize that movies are not same as actual life.



@OP

Remember, movies are not same as actual life. You still need to live in actual life. :)
Reply

ahsankhan
11-06-2014, 04:47 AM
i guess that's the whole point of not taking picture's of any human or living being. because taking picture's later on started tv, video camera's and movies.
Reply

MarlaJohnson
11-06-2014, 06:24 AM
Self Control... U should watch other documentaries..
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!