/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Getting through Ramadan with a parent.

AmericanMuslim
11-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh!

I am currently a minor (Almost 17), living with my mother. She knows I am Muslim, and she supports my decision (Mashallah!). I converted to the true religion in August of 2014 (Mashallah).

In the Summers, I visit my Father across the country (Because that is in their legal agreement). He is not against all Muslims, but just like every other American, he has A LOT of misconceptions. And he is one of those people who thinks they are always right, no matter what evidence you provide them (so I can not try to persuade him),

Here is my problem: Ramadan in June/July in 2015. In that time, I will be spending it with my Father. If he finds out I am Muslim, then he will most likely be completely against it. And he will tell all of his friends and family, and they will come up to me and will try to talk about it, get me out of it, and so on. Just a big headache all around.

I will be doing Ramadan (Inshallah), so do not worry. No matter what, I will still fast and do prayers. But does anyone have any advice for what I can do?

Thank you for any help that you can give me! :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
11-22-2014, 05:18 PM
This is not an easy advice to give because at the end of it, you will still have to deal with it alone at your dad's.

It's going to be tough and a headache all round. What other way is there? He is always right and you are steadfast in your intention, in syaa Allah, it may make things uncomfortable.

Knowing this, my only advice is to be cheerful and smile and deflect any jibes they make. They'll tire and see that you are still you, in fact 'more' cheerful and not the stereotypical muslim women they believe (whatever that may be ^o).

I'm sure there'll be a reaction here if I say that a scarf over the head can do the job of hijab (if I've got the right term) but does not provoke such an extreme reaction. May offer a compromise for the summer with your dad.

:peace:

SofiaMonroe
11-23-2014, 10:59 PM
Salaam! I had a similar problem when I converted. (I was 17 too)
Just smile, correct their misconceptions, hold fast to your faith, and don't lose your temper with them. They want what's best for you (even though only you truly know what's best for you).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!