/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I want something. What's the best way to ask Allah to give me that?

Kamil Hassaan
12-13-2014, 11:38 AM
There is something I want very much. You have no idea how badly I want that. And I know that Allah can give me that. What's the best way to ask Allah for that thing? I do pray. And what else should I do? What I want is not illegal in any way.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
12-13-2014, 03:52 PM
If there was a formula for this, I'm sure there will be very few disappointed people in this world.

Don't like to burst your bubble but, the reality of it is that life is a test. And it will test you. Might even be to the point where you give up on faith.

You've got to remember that there is a reason for everything. Whether you get it or not, be thankful (hard to be when disappointed) but in the event that the wish is granted, quite often people forget their end of the bargain. So happy they are with the turn of events, they quickly forget the promises they made should they get it...

Even the holy prophet pbuh, would have wished for many things to be different and his sufferings (and the capacity for his steadfastness) how blessed we are not to have to go through what he had to face.

May it work out for you. Say to Allah, if it's going to be beneficial to you. . . . Strengthen your Iman etc let you have it, and if it is going to be bad for you (although it may not be haram) to distract you blah, blah blah. Then keep it away and lessen your desire for that blah blah blah.

Really I don't know. But I feel for you. I've been there several times. It never really panned out for me. The more I want things, the more illusive they become.

:peace:

BeTheChange
12-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Remember this: what you think is good for you may be bad for you. Our understanding of what is good for us is very limited as we do not have full knowledge of the unseen and the akhira. We've read books and description but we haven't lived through heaven and hell.

In response to your question keep praying. Sincere prayers in sha Allah - Allah swa says i am what my servant thinks of me so if you think Allah swa won't answer the dua - he won't answer you dua. If you sincerely believe in Allah swa and believe Allah swa is listening to me right now and will answer my dua - in sha Allah he will if this is what Allah swa decides.

Hope that helps.

MuslimInshallah
12-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Kamil,

(smile) What the other posters have said is very true. greenhill basically offered the istikhara prayer. For a good explanation of this, try this link: http://www.islamicity.com/articles/A...ef=MM1201-4985

And it is also true that what we want, may not be what is best for us, either in this life or the Next. We don't know.

A friend of mine offered another explanation, that intrigued me. She suggested that perhaps sometimes Allah doesn't give us something we ardently desire, because it makes us work harder in this life, and gives us something to look forward to in the Next. It ties in a bit with the idea that what happens is what is best for us, but I feel it goes a little further. (smile) It is just an opinion, but I offered it in case it could be of use to you. It helped me, at any rate.

We continued to discuss various things that we desire, examining our own deepest desires, and those of people we know. And it was rather fascinating. What we wanted was very diverse. But it seemed a pretty constant thing that what we really craved the most… we did not get, even though we made sometimes great efforts to get it. (smile) But what we also noticed, was that we could very easily notice what another person was blessed with. But that we tended to notice our own blessings less.

Let me give you an example: a woman craves a child. She does all the prayers, treatments, health tips, you name it. But she doesn't have a child. But she does have a really wonderful husband who cares about her very much. She has a comfortable life. She has a lot of freedom to pursue her interests.

Another woman has many children. She has a pretty good husband. Her life is comfortable enough. But what she really craves is the freedom to do some things she'd like to do, without being gossiped about by members of her close-knit community.

Each woman thirsts for something. She doesn't get it. But each woman also has some blessings in her life. For some reason, Allah has not given these women what they want the most. But He has Gifted them with some other nice things.

(smile) You probably still want to know how to get what you ardently want. Well, basically, you need to make all the efforts that you can. Not just prayers, but concrete actions, like studying or making something or considering novel ways to approach an employer (just sending in Cvs tends to be unfruitful. There are books on things you can do to be noticed), or approaching a woman you'd like to marry (twinkle. There are books on this, too). You must make these efforts. You can't just wait for Allah to Hand it over to you on a plate! (smile) Yes, it sounds shocking when I say it like this. After all, is Allah our servant to do our bidding?! Astaghfirullah! But yet, do we not sometimes behave like this in our approach to things, when we just pray and wait for something to happen without making all the necessary efforts?

Anyway, after you've gathered information, taken advice from people, thought about what you can do, you do the istikhara prayer... then do your efforts... and get on with your life. Maybe what you want will happen, maybe not. But you can rest secure in the knowledge that you have done everything you should, and that you trust in God.

And then you perhaps should look at all the things that you do have. Write them out, maybe. Perhaps ask other people what they think you are blessed with, if you can't see it.

And if you still feel an emptiness in your heart, know that perhaps you have put this desire in a place it shouldn't be. Because only Allah should be there. And Allah is very filling. You shouldn't need anything else apart from Him. Perhaps God isn't Gifting you with what you want because you would make an idol of it, and try to fill your heart with it?

Consider the following story (regarding verses 75-78 of Surah 9, as written in this book: http://www.amazon.ca/Meaning-Holy-Qu...yahiya+emerick)

A man named Tha'labah went to the Prophet and asked for him to beseech God to make him rich. The Prophet said to him, “Woe to you,Tha'labah, a little thanks is much better than what you won't be able to handle.” Then the Prophet told him that if he really wanted riches, then he should invoke God to give them to him. Th'alabah swore the oath that is contained in verse 75. The Prophet then gave Tha'labah a herd of sheep, and within a short amount of time the herd expanded greatly, causing Tha'labah to become very wealthy. Because of the size of his herds, though, he also had to move progressively farther from Medina, resulting in his more and more infrequent visits to worship in the mosque. Later on, when the Prophet sent people to collect the charity tax from Tha'labah, he put off the tax-collectors on two separate occasions. This passage was then revealed about him ,and someone went to him and told him, “You're ruined! A passage has been revealed about you!” So Tha'labah hurried to the Prophet and begged him to accept his charitable contribution, but the Prophet told him that God has forbidden him from accepting his charity. Then Tha'labah began throwing dust on his own head in sorrow, and the Prophet told him, “It's because of what you did. I gave you anorder, and you disobeyed it.” After the Prophet's passing, Tha'labah went to Caliph Abu Bakr and begged him to accept his charity, and Abu Bakr refused, saying the Prophet never accepted it. The same thing happened during the rule of 'Umar ibn al-Khattab and Uthman ibn Affan (d.656), and Tha'labah passed away in despair during Uthman's reign. (Ibn Kathir) It is said that God did not accept his repentance because he harboured hypocrisy in his heart. (Ma'ariful Qur'an)

(smile) Kamil, by all means make your efforts, and I will make du'a for you, too. I hope you get what you want, if it is good for you. But, if after all your efforts and prayers, you don't get what you want, realize that Allah really does Know better what is best for us, even if we cannot comprehend why.

May Allah, the Wise and Loving, Gift us with what is best for us, and Help us to let go of what is not good for us.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Eric H
12-14-2014, 09:20 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Kamil Hassaan;

Some very thoughtful replies, I think the bottom line of prayer is striving to put our will in line with the will of Allah.

A few years ago, I had a mole removed that might be cancerous, about a month after the doctor phoned to say he urgently wanted to see me, it was non Hodgkin Lymphoma, our best friend had this cancer, and three months after being diagnosed she died. After the initial shock of knowing I had been given a possible death sentence, I prayed for the wisdom peace and serenity to do God’s will, regardless as to whether the cancer would prove to be fatal or an inconvenience. I can only say that from the moment of making this prayer, I have experienced profound times of peace and the thought of cancer has never troubled me at all. Now I just give thanks for that great sense of peace.

I have never once prayed for healing, at the age of 65, the prayer for healing seemed to complicated to me. We all die at some point, and I just accept this.

This prayer also shows that Allah answers prayers in ways we may not recognise, sorry don’t know the source of this prayer.

I asked for Strength.........
And Allah gave me Difficulties to make me strong.
I asked for Wisdom.........
And Allah gave me Problems to solve.
I asked for Prosperity.........
And Allah gave me Brain and Brawn to work.
I asked for Courage.........
And Allah gave me Danger to overcome.
I asked for Love.........
And Allah gave me Troubled people to help.
I asked for Favours.........
And Allah gave me Opportunities.

I received nothing I wanted
I received everything I needed
My Prayer has been answered.

In the spirit of striving to do the will of Allah,

Eric

greenhill
12-14-2014, 01:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
I asked for Strength.........
And Allah gave me Difficulties to make me strong.
I asked for Wisdom.........
And Allah gave me Problems to solve.
I asked for Prosperity.........
And Allah gave me Brain and Brawn to work.
I asked for Courage.........
And Allah gave me Danger to overcome.
I asked for Love.........
And Allah gave me Troubled people to help.
I asked for Favours.........
And Allah gave me Opportunities.

I received nothing I wanted
I received everything I needed
My Prayer has been answered.
That is so good! Thank you!!!

Eric H
12-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Kamil;

About twenty thousand children die every day as a result of grinding poverty, starvation and preventable disease. In the time it has taken me to write this reply, possibly another fifty have died and tomorrow, another twenty thousand will die.

When we pray, I believe it is so important to pray for the needs of other people and we should also act on our prayers too. It is no good praying that Allah should feed these starving children, so I can spend my money on my dream Mercedes.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people

Eric

Predator
12-15-2014, 08:34 PM
My best way of asking Allah to give me what i want is performing dua at Al-Multazam. I used to pray there regularly years ago and used to get what i want.

And now really difficult to go there now . And now i am going though a really difficult time and really wish i could go there again

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!