/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic prayer (salah): Varied texts or bare repition of a handful of verses?

gurufabbes
01-20-2015, 02:17 PM
Hi everyone,

The next question I've always had is concerning Islamic prayer and how much there is to it.

Yes, I will probably come across long, detailed explanation using terms I do not understand, but I was hoping for an explanation that was succinct.

I remember asking this question to a Muslim colleague a while ago, who told me that it mostly involved reading verses from the Koran. Is this true?

To bring a better and more exact set of questions:

Is there a type of prayer book devoted to prayer and the texts used? If so, is it big and varied?
Does prayer require a good amount of literacy?

Is Islamic prayer varied in terms of the words or throughout the 5 daily 'prayers' is it more or less the same?
Are there different prayers for different occasions like life cycles (weddings, births) and for Muslim holidays?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
01-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Good questions. Will try to be concise, gonna be really hard.

I wrote a rough translation of a whatsapp message I got and shared it here on the forum about getting ready for prayers. Might give you an insight. Can't remember the thread name off hand.

Reciting a few verses of the Quran is the longest part about the solah but there are praises, dua, pledges, salutations(?), the shahada and greetings to the angels keeping the 'scores'.

The difficulties are mostly that it is in Arabic. There's really not too much to learn.

The solat is nearly all the same with slight variations.

There's no prayers for celebration. We can offer 2 rakaah for 'thanks' , the rest are really done solely for Allah. There are prayers for certain kinds of benefits, guidance, assistance.

But the 5 daily prayers are pretty much the same varying only in the number of rakaah.

:peace:

gurufabbes
01-25-2015, 12:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
Good questions. Will try to be concise, gonna be really hard.

I wrote a rough translation of a whatsapp message I got and shared it here on the forum about getting ready for prayers. Might give you an insight. Can't remember the thread name off hand.

Reciting a few verses of the Quran is the longest part about the solah but there are praises, dua, pledges, salutations(?), the shahada and greetings to the angels keeping the 'scores'.

The difficulties are mostly that it is in Arabic. There's really not too much to learn.

The solat is nearly all the same with slight variations.

There's no prayers for celebration. We can offer 2 rakaah for 'thanks' , the rest are really done solely for Allah. There are prayers for certain kinds of benefits, guidance, assistance.

But the 5 daily prayers are pretty much the same varying only in the number of rakaah.

Sorry, my last message in reply got lost in the system when I had to reload the page.

In short, what particular variations are brought to the overall prayers that you mentioned?

Is there a difference between praying alone and praying with others at the mosque?

Do all people have to pray in Arabic or can they use translations?

How does each of the 5 prayers usually take?

Are the muazins' readings apart of the service or not?

greenhill
01-25-2015, 08:43 AM
Variations. How to put it? Maybe into compulsory and not. The compulsory would be the 5 daily solat and the Friday. If I'm not mistaken, only the 5 daily solat (with the exception of subuh) offers more than 2 rakaah (cycles)

Most of the recitation will remain unchanged with the exception of the 'niat' (intention) of the solat and the choice of the second verse.

Yes, there is a difference when performing the solat congregational or alone. The rewards. But mainly it is for the compulsory prayers.

They have to perform the solat in arabic.

Depending on the individual, anywhere between 5 to 15 minutes.

The muezzin calls to prayer announces the arrival various prayer times during the intervals of the day. Yes, it is part of the service to community.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!