/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are we all American Snipers supporting US global murder?

سيف الله
02-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Salaam

Like to share

What does the worshiping of a movie about a cold-blooded killer says about the American people asks Noam Chomsky?

NOAM CHOMSKY had some choice words about the popularity of the Clint Eastwood Movie American Sniper, its glowing New York Times review, and what the worship of a movie about a cold-blooded killer says about the American people.

It's not good.

During a Cambridge, Massachusetts event hosted by The Baffler on 22 January 2015, Chomsky first read the glowing recent review the New York Times gave the movie. That review begins inauspiciously by insulting, “America’s coastal intelligentsia, which has busied itself with chatter over little-seen art dramas while everyday Americans showed up en masse for a patriotic, pro-family picture which broke all attendance records in its opening days.”

So, Chomsky wonders aloud: “What was the patriotic, pro-family film that so entranced everyday Americans? It’s about the most deadly sniper in American history, a guy named Chris Kyle, who claims to have used his skills to have killed several hundred people in Iraq.”

Kyle's first kill was a woman who apparently walked into the street with a grenade in her hand as the Marines attacked her village. Here's how Kyle describes killing her with a single shot:

“‘I hated the **** savages I’d been fighting,’” Chomsky said, quoting Kyle. “‘Savage, despicable, evil — that’s what we were fighting in Iraq. That’s why a lot of people, myself included, called the enemy savages. There was really no other way to describe what we encountered there.’”

Chomsky also pointed out that The New Yorker loved the film, saying, "it was great, kept to the cinematic values, said it was well done." On the other hand, Newsweek's Jeff Stein, a former US intelligence officer, deferred, calling it appalling. In that review, Chomsky says, Stein remembered a visit he had made to a “clubhouse for snipers, where to quote him, ‘the barroom walls featured white-on-black Nazi SS insignia, and other Wehrmacht regalia. The Marine shooters clearly identified with the marksmen of the world’s most infamous killing machine, rather than regular troops.”

“Getting back to Chris Kyle,” Chomsky said, arriving at his larger point. “He regarded his first kill as a terrorist — this woman who walked in the street — but we can’t really attribute that to the mentality of a psychopathic killer, because we’re all tarred by the same brush insofar as we tolerate or keep silent about official policy.”

“Now, that [sniper] mentality helps explain why it’s so easy to ignore what is most clearly the most extreme terrorist campaign of modern history, if not ever — Obama’s global assassination campaign, the drone campaign, which officially is aimed at murdering people who are suspected of maybe someday planning to harm us.”

Chomsky recommends reading some of the transcripts with drone operators, calling them "harrowing" in their dehumanizing treatment of people who are targeted.

The implication is clear and chilling. Are we all, at least tacitly, American snipers?

http://www.stopwar.org.uk/news/noam-chomsky-are-we-all-american-snipers-supporting-obama-s-global-murder-campaign

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Patrick
02-08-2015, 04:22 PM
Many of his claims have turned out to be false. So him stating I killed so and so many have been fabricated. You should allready know medias intention is one. Making money. It doesn't matter if the message is good it will only go into the works if the audience will pay to hear what is good. What would be the point for a profitable company to put 100 million dollars into anything to lose a cent. All Media isn't necessarily controlled by corrupt companies they are controlled by profitable companies. If sex makes money then it's sex if it's violence then it's violence even if it's something informative like Michael Mann anything that turns proffit and captures an audience is permissible. So this movies audience was a lot of people interested in heroism that they wanted to believe in. They want a real life captain America or a real life avengers. So that's who makes it it's money. That's how all entertainment works. People find out and graph and check what will sell what then invest. Nothing more to it than a story telling group that makes money. You see bad things because that's what will sell you see hopeful stories because that's what will sell. The sniper movie doesn't really in my eyes support the US being ignorant with the way they deal with war it supports the media making money.

M.I.A.
02-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Wow I don't think captain america or the avengers compare to american sniper.

Cap hardly ever kills people lol and many children grow up keen on watching those ideals although they don't represent reality.

Secondly I don't think its about profit, so many big budget movies flop or just preform passably.

The irony of a room full of people watching a sniper flick so biased and loaded like propaganda reminds me of the cinema scene in tarantinos inglorious b's.

Its almost too ironic.

Patrick
02-08-2015, 05:38 PM
Yes big budget movies flop then they don't have sequels. Other movies do well and they make as many as are still profitable. I don't mean American sniper is like avengers I mean it's a hero movie. War has a lot of hero movies that have been profitable saving private Ryan extera. Especially movies that involve foreign espionage like Bourne series. I don't believe these movies were bad but they did captivate audiences. When you've seen success it can lead to attempting it again. It's not just about proffit 100 percent but when movies flop there not given another chance period. Things like call of duty and other games have been popular it's obvious that companies target as many demographics as they can. Super Bowl commercials technically can flop to but it was only about money that got them that spot in the first place nothing else.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
M.I.A.
02-08-2015, 05:58 PM
OK I'm going to have to pass until I have seen it or at least attempted to watch it.

..id rather not continue discussing my preferences or views on modern cinema lol.. The last few spiderman films were particularly bad.

Patrick
02-08-2015, 05:59 PM
Imagine a world were everything promoted was for what Allah would at least consider pleasent. Where everything we made was for our benefit not just our desires. Imagine if they made every single program commercial movie book everything to bring about the right way to live ones life. If this was done and followed through and every message we gave out was correct then you would see a change in many ways. Instead that business is for a different purpose. I wouldn't say that they all have a corrupted view on everything I'm just saying there purpose is to fulfill there own gains. Not the gains of those that receive there messages. When you conduct your world in this way it is working like gins. What are your desires what do you wish you could be what do you want to see next. Now it is for the sake of proffit of those who are making the items. But it is also to sticky appeal to the consumer of these fantasies or facts. Those are gin. I don't care if people call them whatever they want to they most fit into the categories originally given to us as a gin. The book might have described them differently at the time it was made but the similarities are enough.

Patrick
02-08-2015, 06:03 PM
On a side note it also says not all gin were made bad. It just says they have a purpose of interacting with man kind different than angels or Allah and his messangers.

سيف الله
02-08-2015, 06:06 PM
Salaam

Another update

Abdullahh
02-09-2015, 02:36 AM
The one and only reason why American Sniper is so popular is because the average American hates Muslims and likes seeing them killed. It's as simple as that. Boycott the film!

Patrick
02-10-2015, 09:41 AM
They won't boycott this. You have to understand our industry. I don't necessarily believe Americans hate muslims. I do believe they are convinced though and intrigued at the same time of there notion of the radical muslim. Now there are some who think they are one in the same there are others that know better. But we got our bad guy a decade ago. There not going to give up on the bad guy sequels. Both in real life and in movie dramas. No matter how absurd some of the facts or fiction is they are still pulled into this drama. They want this sniper to be there hero fine. They want to give real muslims no heros intertwined in there culture fine. That's how it is. I can't change there minds. To them this is a drama simple and plain 99 percent of the audience has seen none of the things that took place during these times. It's just another thing that makes them seem to believe out of all of the mistakes that took place in these wars and they all know there were a lot of them there might be some things they didn't mess up with. Now whether they truly believe it I don't know. But even this story turned out to be mostly false.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!