/* */

PDA

View Full Version : slander and backbite ..please explain

legendaryman
02-11-2015, 12:37 AM
I don't know why , in my society this greatest sins will be ignored .please explain me in simple English difference between 1.slander
2 .backbite
3.some other related sins you know

I know the meaning them but a bit confused ..and when I tell them not backbite , or something . they say if we don't talk about people then what should we talk??

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
02-11-2015, 09:19 AM
Slander is saying somethings not true about a person to damage his reputation.

Back biting I would say is general gossip perhaps not enough to damage reputation but still leaves that person unable to defend himself.

Can't think of any other for now..

About the excuse, it's a rather shallow one. We can talk about people. Nothing wrong with that. You only refrain when you have nothing nice to say. Be constructive as opposed to destructive.

:peace:

hisnameiszzz
02-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Salaams.

Slander - where you make up bad things about people that you clearly know are not true.

Backbite - where you say things about people behind their back, i.e. they are not present in front of you so they can't defend themselves. An example of this is at work, as soon as one person leaves the room, the others start saying things about that person. I normally walk out of a room if people are backbiting as you get sins for listening.

Topics to talk about - you could talk about the weather, exercise, health, recipes, food, things you want to do in life, places you want to travel to.

MuslimInshallah
02-11-2015, 09:49 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Legendary,

Slander, as has been explained by other members, is saying damaging things about another person that are not true. Backbiting is saying damaging things about another person that are true, but that you would not say in front of them, and that they would not want others to know. For instance, you went gambling, and your friend caught you at it, and then went and told everyone. This would be backbiting.

However, there are exceptions. For instance, if you stole some money, and your friend came to know about that, it would be his duty to tell the person you stole from (unless you were decent enough to repent and go and give the money back yourself; then your friend should keep quiet), because you have caused harm to another. And if you had a habit of stealing, then it would be his duty towards the larger community to let people know your character, so that they might protect themselves (and in most cases, this is most appropriately done through the legal authorities). But we must never be quick to disclose the faults of others. It should always be done reluctantly, and for a good and legitimate purpose.

(smile) And I would suggest we disclose only after sincerely asking Allah to Guide us in our decision.

However, you can talk about others when they are not there in a positive way. If you want to share something good that another person has done, I don't believe there is any problem with that. Indeed, it might cause some good, both for the person, and for the general community, if it can build trust and love.

(smile) But only Allah truly Knows what is best, and what are the inner workings of our hearts.

May Allah, the Oft-Forgiving, Guide us to choices and actions that Please Him.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!